OT Sunken Ship Rescue - One of the most fascinating TV shows I've seen lately

Page 1 of 2
I didn't get a chance to see this January but saw it today. Very, very interesting show about all the engineering challenges that they had to face raising the ship.
NOVA Sunken Ship Rescue (Repeat, Science, 1/21/2015, TV-PG) Cameras follow divers and engineers working non-stop to secure, raise and salvage the Costa Concordia cruise ship from its perch on a submerged cliff.
--
Bobby G.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 16:44:36 -0500, Robert Green

I caught part of it. The X millions of tons of force to do things is hard to imagine.

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:45:04 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"

I saw just a trifle on the news. Nova is a good program.
The Italians on that island may have hated the ship being there for 2 or 3 years, but I bet now they'll appreciate their view a lot more for decades to come.
<stuff snipped>

It will probably be on several more times this week. It's really worth a look to see what kind of rigging and work it took to right the ship. Lots of time-lapse video, too, showing how bloody long it took, too.

Oddly enough, I think it was a friend of the captain that wanted a better view of the coastline that caused him to go up on the rocks. What I didn't realize was how close the wreck WAS to the shore. I wouldn't have wanted to stare at that wreck for that long. I am sure they are glad it was taken away but I'll bet someone there missed not seeing it. This is Italy, after all, land of Gorgonzola cheese and something really icky called Casu Marzu.
--
Bobby G.

On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 12:20:44 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:

Yes, my local PBS station is good about repeating their programs 2-3 times a week in the wee hours of the morning.

Lots

I sit at the junction of three different PBS stations. It's six to eight times around here. You really have to work hard to miss something. (-:
--
Bobby G.

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 09:47:00 -0400, "Robert Green"

It's on Youtube, 24 hours every day.
On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 10:02:51 AM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

Thanks!! Don't know why I didn't think of YouTube. Everything is on that site.
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 09:47:00 -0400, "Robert Green"
<stuff snipped>

They tell me YouTube's *awfully* slow on dial up. The great Urban/Rural High Speed Internet Range War is already underway. Google wants to use low orbit satelites and balloons to bring high speed internet to the boondocks because some people live outside of Chicagoland. Freemarket at work. The people who feed the country are mostly stuck on dialup or l-o-n-g l-a-t-e-n-c-y satelite internet that goes out during rainstorms, windstorms, duststorms and sunspots.
What, too lazy to look up the URL? (-:
As a personal aside, I am really beginning to hate YouTube's endless suggestions, ad info creeping into the frame and the more than occasional "ack, ack, ack" of buffering because of a crowded internet connection. Besides, how many cat/dog/baby videos (that people send me URLs for all the time) can you watch.
Did I ever tell you about my techie but slightly hard-headed boss insisted we demo an OPEN video conferencing system called See You, See Me. We kept telling him you have to control every channel for a demo to the high-priced clients we had at the time. Needless to say, when the demo came the whole room learned what the word "dickpix" meant. Oddly enough, it was a woman who first exclaimed at the extreme close-up as it slowly pulled back: "What is that? Is that a man's - OH MY GOD." Demonstration over. The idiot held it against my team even though we had warned him again and again that the open video chat channels had a lot of perves and weeny-waggers.
Did I answer your question? (-:
--
Bobby G.

Government efficiency. And the local stations wonder why it's such a struggle to raise money. PBS, the Radio Shack of television.

They should also wonder why they need so much money. Besides, PBS has become as mercenary as regular network TV. I can't believe all the blantant advertising I now see. Worse than those "donation drives" are those dig-up-ancient/forgotten-music groups and charge big $$$$ to buy their old songs.
I recall the lure to cable TV, back in the day. "Would you be willing to pay to view zero commercials?" As if......
nb
<stuff snipped>

Yeah, I remember that big lie that got bigger every year. I think TCM is one of the few channels outside of premium cable that at least shows movies uninterrupted.
I have a 1 minute commercial skip button on my DVR (that's well over 10 years old and whose clock has drifted two hours in that time - it used analog TV signals to set it and provides NO other way to reset it). Movies on something like TNT have gone from 3 clicks to 7.
I sometimes rent TV shows on DVD from Netflix and you realize how seriously the commercial breaks impede the dramatic tension of the show.
When I used to delete the ads from a one hour recording, it usually left less than 45 minutes of actual program material. Someday it will 30 minutes.
--
Bobby G.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

PBS has many more stations than the "regular nets", including some places with multiple stations in the same town. Saw a study a few years ago that suggested if you sold off the "extra" stations and invested the money, you would get more than the Federal contribution at the time.
but what they conceal is vital.?
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 24 Jul 2015 09:51:36 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Neill Massello) wrote:

You don't think they can make the areas perfectly shaped so they don't overlap at all, do you? So they have a choice between overlapping areas and having areas where one can't get it at all.
On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 8:53:46 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:

I get two PBS stations on DirecTV and yes, you really have to be snoozing to miss any of their programs. ;-)

no doubt that area now misses concordia.....
sure there view is better but seeing it may have attracted some visitors / tourists
and more importandly that 1.5billion or whatever the cost was was no doubt a boost to the local economy..
bet they are missing the bucks.
the divers probably ate out a lot, bought all sorts of stuff from local stores etc etc......

and

Lots of really interesting techniques going back to refloating of the USS Oklahoma after Pearl. It isn't easy righting a ship that's toppled over.
I had never seen them use another technique - filling huge bags that they pumped concrete into to support the superstructure. Also showed how another ship was cut into sections using an abrasive-coated rope saw between two crane platforms.
I didn't catch the cost of the Concordia operation, but my guess is that it was immense.
--
Bobby G.

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 9:28:42 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:

If I remember correctly I *think* the cost was something like one and a half billion dollars.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 23 Jul 2015 20:13:34 -0700 (PDT),

Is that for steerage or Lido deck?

that it

You get dragged behind the ship in a dinghy for that rate. That's got to be a bill that makes you really flinch when you open up the day's mail. I suspect that a lot of captains have been given the very serious "once over" look since that incident because that's something you just don't want to have happen.
Something I read, but can't get my head around, is that a large ship (trawler-sized) sinks every four days somewhere in the world (lots of them in Greece, apparently for the insurance money).
The source was a newspaper article about lawlessness on the high seas. My wife and I joked about the fact that now even landlocked Bolivia is flagging ships. The country that flags a ship supposedly investigates crimes on the high seas.
(In the interest of accuracy I had to check and indeed, landlocked Bolivia DOES have a navy!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navies_of_landlocked_countries
<<Bolivia - the Bolivian Naval Force has several thousand personnel. When the force was established, Bolivia had access to the Pacific Ocean, but it lost control of its coastal territory in the War of the Pacific. Now, the Bolivian Navy patrols Lake Titicaca and Bolivia's larger rivers. It also had a naval unit permanently deployed in the Argentine city of Rosario. To some Bolivians, the Navy serves as a symbol that the country has not given up on regaining its lost access to the sea.>>
There was a War of the Pacific? (-:
--
Bobby G.