OT: Sugary drinks and diabetes

Page 2 of 2
Higgs Boson wrote:

The quantities of sugar and fat being consumed is way beyond what is considered normal or safe. HFCS is in darn near everything anymore. It's cheap it's heavy (a lot of food is sold by weight) and the gov't subsidizes corn production. Read the label, learn what a normal sized portion is and live healthy. FWIW in this weeks MMWR, Incidence of End-Stage Renal Disease Attributed to Diabetes Among Person With Diagnoed Diabetes. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5942a2.htm?s_cid=mm5942a2_e

Milk gives me the farts. Wanna sniff?

How about they do what my parents did, and say NO?
Then again, when I was a kid soda was EXPENSIVE. It was a TREAT, not the primary means of hydration.
The problem isn't with HFCS in and of itself, either... It's the amount we consume.
Here again, sweets used to be EXPENSIVE. Ice cream, donuts, candy, cake, pie was a TREAT, not the main course.
If food weren't so damn cheap...