OT: stupid kids on school bus

Page 1 of 3
http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/vb5gj/kids_call_bus_monitor_fat_unt il_she_cries_and/
They bully a grandmother!!!!
I wrote the school directly here: http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/contact.cfm?school=7 and I was sure to check these boxes: Athena Middle School, Greece Central School District, Business Office, Districtwide, Energy Management, Family Support Center, Mailroom, Support Services, Community Education A snippet, though I am not a wordsmith by any means, feel free to cut and paste: "Something needs to be done about this, immediately. The children's parents need to be notified of such behavior and an appropriate punishment needs to be determined and executed. This video IS going to gain mainstream media attention. I suggest the school and it's authorities take an immediate, strong stance on bullying before anything gets misconstrued. This topic has been heavily covered in recent years by the media and you would do well by this poor woman to stand up for her rights and give her the justice she deserves."
I'd have said unbehaved, and hostile. Clearly, the kids were out of control. And, if I'd been that monitor, I'd have pounded a couple of the kids for sassing me.
TinyURL was created! The following URL:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20 /greece-school-district-bullied-footage- causes-outrage_n_1612925.html?1340215853 &icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl 1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D171675
has a length of 189 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 26 characters: http://tinyurl.com/dy9zl7p [Open in new window]
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

For sure. They are wasting tax money paying with this bus monitor that has no control over the kids. In fact she's not even watching the kids, just sitting there and crying. She should be fired and a responsible person that can take control should be hired. Do they put up with that behavior in the classroom? Why then on the bus.
BTW here there are no bus monitors. But there is a video camera. If the driver has a problem, the culprit is on video and corrective action is taken the next day. From detention to banning from the bus. When parents have to drive their kid to school for a week the problem is usually solved...

The value of bus monitors becomes apparent instantly when young children are involved. One starts crying (maybe for no apparent reason) and then the others join in. At that point, only a "mother" will do to settle things down and keep the driver from going nuts.
The woman was bullied. That's wrong.
Tomsic

Not sure what the job description of a bus monitor is in that jurisdiction, but my understanding of a monitor is to keep order so that the bus driver can concentrate on driving and not be distracted. If that poor grandma was bullied by grade school kids then IMO she is not qualified for that job. Further her inability to do her job is dangerous since it does allow the driver to be distracted...

Did you really watch the same video I did? Touching the quivering grandma was an assault? A 7th grader's bravado was a credible threat?? Give me a break. That situation could easily be cleaned up with the proper discipline (and not some of the ridiculous things suggested here either).

Hopefully nothing. The PD should not even be involved in such a petty situation. This is a school responsibility. I'd start with hiring a qualified monitor, post the rules with penalties, and stick to it.

Most of the parents I know would take care of it pronto. Likely they had no idea what was going on. And if they don't want to cooperate, as I said stick to the rules/dicipline. My suggestion: Warning>school detention>banned from bus>banned from school.

and here we have the real problem...the kids are such a PITA that a monitor has to protect the driver. Put cameras in the bus, any kid that distracts the driver gets one warning and then no more bus rides for him/her. simple, cost effective and ultimately safer for all concerned
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 20:07:33 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

That's what I said 2 of my posts back. That's exactly what they do here...

It's illegal to make threats here too. But police don't usually book 7th graders for school ground fights. They let the schools handle it which is as it should be. Likewise on a school bus.
clipped

Anybody remember TV news of 6 y/o being cuffed by police for assaulting a teacher? Don't blame the victim....if she is a monitor, that may be her only authority until she can report offenses. Driver has a radio? Stop the bus? Then we have 30 parents calling up the school to complain about their kid being late. Any word of police involvement where this happened? I'm sure it isn't over yet.

No one has the authority or ability to do anything these days. We had no bus monitors in the past, the driver would just yell at a kid and that would end it.
When I was in high school, (in Philly in the 1960's) they had public transportation buses waiting for us. Sometimes the guys on the back of the bus would smoke. This was a packed bus, standing in the aisle. The driver just drove to the end of his route, no stops along the way. At the end of his route he opened the door and walked off.
We knew what the problem was, we had to now find our own way home. No parents complained or whined that Johnny was punished. It worked with not a word spoken. Today, there would be law suites, protests, parent marching, police, kids traumatized and in need of therapy, etc.

I never have understood the mind of a superintendent. One of the area schools had a senior prank where they got a key from one of the parents (who was a school board member) and went in decorated the school in Post it notes. These people (and the janitor who was working at the time) were summarily suspended (the janitor was fired). But hey, they can't do anything about bullying or this kind of shit on the bus?

On 6/23/2012 12:05 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I read about that....the artwork, done all in post-it notes, was darn creative. Still can't believe a school board member let the kids into the school after hours. Feel sorry for the janitor, who thought the artwork rather impressive....tell a school board member to get out of the school or stand and watch.
In a school district where the miscreants use guns and knives often, then some offensive language is probably a "good day" :o)
From what I've been hearing, the monitor did none of the things to defend herself, or restore order. I've also heard that she is declining to press charges. Makes me wonder if someone "tested his limits" and found out she's a push over. And, so they pressed harder and harder until this incident?
Agree with you. I said similar in another post. The kids are dispicable, need to be punished and should be banned from the bus for some period. But the whole purpose of a monitor is to keep order on the bus. I did not see any attempt to assert order on the bus. Where was the , "Sit down. One more word out of you and this bus is going back to the school where your parents will pick you up in the principal's office!"
Another option if she couldn't control them would be to have the bus driver proceed to the nearest police station, or call police on a cell phone. If she can't handle rude kids, what good would she be in a real emergency?
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 06:19:18 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Police needed for simple school discipline? Except for "real" criminal activity: Guns, knives, drugs ect. why bother the police? If the school administration (and individual employees) can't handle the kids on their own they should be replaced with someone who can...

Perhaps but that doesn't absolve the kids of assault (which is a matter for the police).
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:51:19 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The 'assault' in this case involved *lightly touching* a school bus monitor. A simple stern "stop that' from the monitor would have stopped it. Then the prescribed punishment for the unwanted touching of a school employee should have been employed to stop future violations and to deter others. Instead she just sat there and cried not even acknowledging the touch. A very sad monitor indeed.
(Well, maybe not so sad as she is now apparently a very rich woman.)
Yes there are times police are needed for a school assault report. Examples might be punching a teacher or a serious injury to a student. But I would estimate that there are many crimes committed on the school grounds every day from stealing lunch money to minor student assaults that are much better handled by the school administration.

Yeah, if it was only one kid I might agree with you, but it wasn't. BTW: Assault can also include violent verbal attacks, which this may have qualified for. You don't have to hit someone to assault them.

And he conveniently forgets that one of the kids also said something about her being so fat that he could stick her with a knife like butter. Is that worthy of conviction for making a terroristic threat? No. But together with the other behavior, since the bus aid obviously was incapable of handling it, it was enough to justify either taking the bus back to school, or to the police or calling the police to the bus, if they refused to stop. And if this was done just once, imagine the effect when all the rest of the similar kids find out what happened.
Imagine what these people would be saying if the incident continued, distracted the driver, and there was a fatal accident. Or if the thugs continued, turning their attention on some other student, and seriously injuring them.
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:17:07 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

The kid was commenting on her fat (no wonder), not threatening her with an upcoming stabbing. Even kids use non-literal descriptions in their language. Ever told someone you would kill them in casual conversation? Did you? Did they call the cops on you??

Punish *all* the kids, even the non-participants? Wouldn't it be better just to punish just the bad ones individually? Wouldn't it be even better if the situation didn't occur in the first place because a competent bus monitor had that route under control?

Exactly. If the school had control, the situation would not have happened. You don't really think this situation happened for the very first time the kid decided to record it do you...