OT strange charity calls

Page 2 of 2

+2 SA is one of the only legit charities out there. I wouldn't give Goodwill anything because they're strictly for profit
Per ChairMan:

My wife likes to write checks to charities and now our mail is about 80% by weight mailings from charities looking for a buck. I guess once you give to one, they hang you out there like a piece of meat for the other dogs.
I've gotten to the point where I pre-screen the mail on the way back to the house from the mailbox, winnowing out the obvious scams (per www.charitynavigator.com) before she sees them.
Anything to do with veterans (especially disabled...) or cops seems to have an extremely high probability of being a scam.
"American Federation of Police & Concerned Citizens", "Coalition to Salute America's Heroes", "Paralyzed Veterans of America"... sheesh! Give me a break!!! Seems like there is a cottage industry that consists of thinking up charitable organization titles that appeal to good-hearted people who could never imagine what bottom feeders are out there.
Consequently I am acquiring a somewhat jaundiced view of the charity industry and my own preference is to select a few four-star-rated organizations from CharityNavigator and stick with them - canceling, of course, my support after the second telephone solicitor's call.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 4/22/2015 12:53 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Goodwill not only has training programs, they also have a free medical equipment loaning service. If you or a family member need assistance equipment - anything from a wheelchair to a bath bench to a cane - for a short period of time, you can check out the equipment you need for up to several months of use. It's a lifesaver for people who can't afford to buy gear they'll only need while recovering, and it's very convenient for those who can afford to buy, but don't want to get stuck storing gear after they no longer need it.

A good time to retell my story about finding an electric wheelchair in the trash. I called a guy I know who had a medical equipment store, and he came over and said in the condition I found it, it was worth 1000 dollars. (The most expensive thing I ever found) He had me call the MS or MD people, and they sent some guys from another medical equipment store to pick it up. They said they store it for a little while until the MS or MD society has someone who needs it.
When I found it, it was impossible to push, but the battery was still charged. It was really hard to walk behind or beside as I had it push itself, so I had to ride it back to my house, about 300 feet away.
I'm pretty sure I sort of knew the guy whose chair it was. Well, that is, he'd sit in the sun on nice days, and I'd wave as I drove by. (Sometimes there was another guy in a wheelchair there too). After I found the chair, I reaized he was never there anymore The people at the apartment building just put his chair next to their dumpsters, never thought about donating it somewhere, it seems. (Also the device that he used to sit himself up in bed. I gave that to the same place. )
On 04/21/2015 01:57 PM, Frank wrote:
[snip]

I look at the caller ID and don't answer a call from a charity (especially excessively generic ones like "clothing pickup"). They usually act as if my money and other stuff is really theirs and I have some obligation to send it to them. I respond to mail IF I decide to give.
BTW, once I got a strange call where someone thanked me for a donation, without trying to extract more. Just once.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 4/21/2015 1:30 PM, micky wrote:

There is a scam going around, read about it a couple weeks ago. The caller is hoping the other person will say something like "I won't be home that day". Guess what happens next?
On 04/21/2015 12:30 PM, micky wrote:

Purple Heart calls for pickups when they are in the area.
They are legit.

Yes, I've heard of them. I wish I'd paid more attention to the names, but it wasn't Purple Heart.
The fact that their reaction was almost word for word the same when I asked them not to call me again has convinced me it was one company, and it had a to be a profit-making company.
I also got a third call in 3 days trying to sell me alternative electricity

Do you have caller ID? If not, it sounds like it would it would pay for itself in no time. I have it and if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. It's MY phone and I CHOOSE when to answer it. Also, if your carrier supports it try https://www.nomorobo.com /, works like a champ
On 04/22/2015 12:46 PM, ChairMan wrote:

My answering machine has called ID built-in
Did not even realize that when I bought it.
micky wrote:

legitimate charity and promise to increase their contribution income, for a commission. The charity will probably agree as they will gain a little from this arrangement. The professional fundraiser takes control, but everything the public gets is from the charity (even though it is prepared by the fundraiser). The fundraiser probably doesn't have a lot of ways to solicit donations, so pretty soon the solicitations from many charities start resembling each other. I guess this is legitimate, but to me there is a smell about it.
Per No name:

I am guessing that it shows up in Charity Navigator's "Fundraising Expenses" vs "Program Expenses". e.g.http://tinyurl.com/3sltoea
--
Pete Cresswell

micky wrote:

There are a lot of charities out there, and the vast majority of them are worthy. I know this because we make a lot of contributions, and before I make a contribution, I vet the charity. It is easy to do, because almost all of them have to provide information to the IRS, and there are organizations (http://www.charitynavigator.org/ is one) that check the information and you can get a good picture of those charities there.
The Salvation Army does not file the forms, because they consider themselves a religious organization, free of government rules. Every person I know and consider informed on this subject praises the Salvation Army and believes they use their funds wisely. If their endowment is now a billion dollars, they must be using it, because they received a single gift of $1.5 billion a few years ago. I have no problem with them taking some time to plan how to use such a gift. And that is not the only large gift they have received from informed donors. So the donor community is happy with what the Salvation Army does.
And I have no problem with the head of the Red Cross receiving a large salary, because they are running a huge organization and doing a good job. The head of my electrical utility, which is a much smaller organization, gets a salary that far exceeds that at the Red Cross (try ten or twelve million dollars).