OT Store Christmas windows

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 17:49:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Usually they are good about keeping the water hot enough to kill the germs. Anyone who lived there a while understand a street hot dog is good food but New York is a great place for all sorts of "fast" food that is not anything like that crap we call "fast food". You can grab a slice of real pizza on the go and there is a deli on every block with all sorts of sandwiches they bang out in a minute.
On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 9:20:47 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Gloria's Pizza, Flushing, NY: Slice and a coke - 40 cents
During the 70's there was chain of Blarney Stone Pubs across Manhattan. People from all walks of life went there for great Irish lunches and maybe a beer or two. Police, firemen, construction workers, stock brokers, small business owners, lawyers, etc.
There used to be at least 30 of them, now I believe there is only 1 left. I'll bet it's not as laid back a place as the rest of them were back then.
On 12/15/2015 06:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I grew up in upstate and one of the treats was Hot Dog Charlie's dogs.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g47506-d828152-i112144877-Hot_Dog_Charlie_s-Cohoes_New_York.html
http://tinyurl.com/zq5y6zr
Part of the atmosphere was Charlie lining up a dozen dogs on his sweaty, hairy arm to ladle on the mustard, onions, and sauce. They were 10 cents apiece and you got bragging rights if you could eat 5 bucks worth without staggering out to the alley to barf.
They were good! The meat sauce was some sort of Greek/Armenian recipe that may have involved stray cats. I've never tasted anything quite like it anywhere else. It was nothing like the standard chili dog sauce.
On 12/15/2015 7:21 AM, rbowman wrote:

What do you mean, "in THAT era" (emphasis mine)? Their hands *still* haven't seen any water!! :>
[their (same guys! :> ) pretzels and mustard are pretty good, too!]

Thankfully, only once had (suspected) food poisoning -- from a "frozen food" bought in bulk (I suspect somewhere along the line they let it thaw and refreeze).
On 12/15/2015 06:50 PM, Don Y wrote:

During my very educational career in trucking I delivered a load of dry beans to a well known manufacturer of canned chili in Oregon. As they were unloading the truck I got the sad story from the driver of the truck in the bay next to mine. It was a reefer and he'd been hauling a load of frozen chicken. The reefer had broken down and by the time it was fixed the chickens well well on the way to being defrosted and the original consignee refused the load. Making the best of a bad deal he sold the load to the chili plant for pennies on the dollar.
Never did buy that brand again...

They sure do in Manhattan. Especially the department stores.
Here's an article: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/fashion/macys-bloomingdales-lord-and-taylor-holiday-windows.html
This lists the major ones: http://www.nyctrip.com/Pages/index.aspx?PageID 80
On 12/14/2015 05:41 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

They ain't no department stores in Manhattan (Montana)
On 12/14/2015 11:20 AM, KenK wrote:

Nothing in our town, but few retailers left.
When I lived in a middle class section of Philadelphia, there were a couple of main streets were lined with retailers. They would decorate for Halloween, Christmas and major holidays. That stopped in the late 60's or so when the malls became popular..
in downtown pittsburgh kaufmanns sold out to macys, this fall the macys store closed forever. the owner of the building is decorating the windows, possibly for the last time.
it was a big thing when i was a child. near 60 now not so important
On 12/17/2015 06:23 AM, bob haller wrote:

Macy's bought the failing Bon Marche here but didn't last too long. Despite several schemes the building has stood vacant for the last 5 years. It's too bad since the building is on the downtown main drag and not off in the mall.