(OT) Stinky candle disposal problem

I like to go to auctions and find bargains. A few weeks ago I bought a boxfull of oddball items because there was one item in the box that I wanted. I loaded that box in my car and several other buys from that sale and drove home. On the way home I was near choking from an extremely obnoxious potent sweet smell in the car that was NOT pleasant. In fact I could not wait to get home and find the cause of this odor. As soon as I got home I began to unload. That odor was coming from the oddball box. In there I found everything from tools to kitchen utensels, and a plastic bag with 4 candles. Those candles were the cause of the odor. It said "scented candles" on them. Scented (my ass), stinky is a better word. Maybe the combination of 4 different colored (probably four different scents) made it worse. All I knew is that they were not coming in the house, in fact I'd invite a skunk in the house before those candles came in.

I left them in the bag, outside my garage, near the door. The next day I got within 25 feet of the garage and could smell them already. This time I moved the bag to the rear of the garage. I sort of forgot about them until yesterday when I opened the rear window in the garage. There was that annoying odor again, and it nearly floored me. It seems the hot sun on that bag is making the odor worse.

I know, someone is going to ask me why I dont just toss them in the trash. It's because I live on a farm in the country and we have no garbage pickup. We burn it, bury it, or find another way. We can take recycleable cans and bottles to a certain place, which is only open on certain days and hours, and quite honestly I dont have time for that nonsense, since they are only open about 3 hours a week. I just haul all the aluminum cans and anything else they will buy, to the metal recyclers once a year, and try to find places for other containers. (like friends who live in the city's garbage cans). Everything else gets burned.

Anyhow, I now have these stinky candles, and I really want them gone. The thought occurred to suffer that odor long enough in my car, back to town, and drop them in the garbage barrel at the gas station, or just toss them out the window onto the highway and risk a fine for littering. But I really dont want them in my car again. Burying them on some distant place on my acreage comes to mind, but I just know that either some animal will dig them up, or a plow or machinery will do it, and that odor will haunt me forever.

The last thought is burning...... I have a large pile of brush, feed bags, baling twine and other debris to burn. I could just toss them in that pile and let them burn...... But MAYBE the odor will remain????? The last thing I need is to have to smell that stink in my burn pile for the next 5 or 10 years, and that pile is near my barn......

Do you think burning will kill that odor? What else can I do?

*** Whoever invented scented candles should be SHOT by a firing squad!!!!

By the way, some wild animal (probably a raccoon) ate part of one of them. I sure wish it would have ate ALL of them (and the plastic bag). But I suspect the animal died after a few bites. I know I would!!!!

Reply to
fred.flintstone

Mail them to Martha Stewart.

Reply to
recyclebinned

Post office will pick them up if you box them.

Send them to friends/relatives along with a birthday card.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

fake story.

Reply to
ktos

Do you have an old cooking pot? Put the candles in the pot, with some diesel oil, and brush. Put the cooking pot on the burn pile. That way, if the odor sticks to the cooking pot, you can put the pot in layers of bags, and suffer with it, to take it to town to put in someone's dumpster.

Choose a day when the wind blows away from your home.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote in news:atp62810s91dqbjmvr7pqkc1sc0ae7hs9f@

4ax.com:

Sell them on eBay. Seriously. There are a *lot* of people in the world that actually *like* that stuff.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Probably not much left other than a lump after leaving them outside in summer sun for whatever its been...

This seems much ado over nothing even for ahr...

Reply to
dpb

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yep. Anyone with not enough brains to bury them deep is lying about the whole thing.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You sound like the guy I'd like to mail them to!!!!

Reply to
fred.flintstone

Sounds like a story that I read once by J.K. Jerome (1889). His stinky object was a cheese he was transporting for a friend. He eventually buried it on a seaside beach where for years afterward people came to enjoy and comment upon "the bracing air".

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote the following on 8/9/2012 3:42 AM (ET):

Bury them with your next load of garbage?

Reply to
willshak

clipped

Get a good fire going and throw them in on top of some corrugated cardboard.

Reply to
Norminn

You think I'm going to spend $500 or more to hire an excavation company to dig the hole? A shovel is what I was referring to for the hole. However, you did give me an idea. I know where they are demolishing a house and will then fill the basement with dirt. Of course that still requires hauling them in my car......

But I have an idea for that. A large gallon sized plastic bottle filled with water. Shove them in the bottle, duct tape it shut, and haul them. I just hope they sink to the bottom..... Then I'll just toss the whole bottle in the hole. (No, they didn't melt in the sun, which surprises me). What also amazes me, is that the odor came right thru that plastic bag that they are in.

Reply to
fred.flintstone

I can have a 4ft hole dug in short order with nothing but a shovel. That is more then deep enough to keep them from ever being dug up.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No shit!!!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

At least that stoooryyyy is sorta believable.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

????? I am surprised. How many plastic bags did you use?

We live in the country too but have a few days access each week to a garbage tip but have to take the rubbish there ourselves. I've always found that putting a stinky thing in a plastic bag and knotting it and then putting it in another plastic bag and then knotting that is enough to keep the smell in. I think the most bags I've ever needed was 3.

Reply to
Farm1

They are just in one ziplock bag. Good idea about using more bags. I'll try that. We have 2 dump locations. One is open on Sat. mornings from 9 to noon, the other is a weekday (not sure of the hours), but it's only about 3 hours too, and mornings. I have to do chores in the mornings. It's not convenient at all. We have to haul the stuff too. Years ago they just had dumpsters that we could go to anytime. I'd go there when I had some free time, sometimes at night even. Those days are gone. The last time I went camping, I took several bags of garbage along and put it in the dumpster at the campgrounds. I suppose shutting down the 24/7 dumpsters is what they call progress!!!!

Reply to
fred.flintstone

When we've had a small amount of stuff that really, really needed to go, but on days when the tip wasn't open, I'd put them into municipal garbage bins in parks or beside roads. 'Domestic waste' dumping is such places supposedly attracts a fine, but since I've always just put in a plastic carrier bag sized thing, I don't think anyone would ever have noticed or commented or even been able to object. How big are these candles and can you find a roadside garbage bin anywhere on your travels?

Reply to
Farm1