OT Still in the Stone Age rant

Page 1 of 2

I have a fax machine. It is much easier to fax something than it is to mail it or deliver it in person.
I got a prescription from the doctor yesterday. My doctor is 60 miles from my house. My pharmacy is about 15 min in the opposite direction. To save 30 min, I should be able to stop at home and fax them a copy of my prescription so they have time to prepare it, and have it ready when I get there..........but no.
I called the pharmacy, and asked if I could fax the prescription to them, and bring the original with me to pick it up. They said they have to have the prescription before they can fill it.
I am not talking about a prescription for morphine. This is for Vitamin D.

You should have had the doctor give the prescription. Many now have direct links or can fax. My doctor can send a prescription faster to the pharmacy by computer than he can write it by hand and give it to me. He no longer even has the prescription pad in the office. I can renew on line too. Some pharmacies offer a three month supply of most generic drugs for $10 too.
That fax machine is so 80's. You have to upgrade.

The prescription they give me is a computer print out, so they could enter an email address or a fax number for the pharmacy once, and never have to print it, but they don't.
I can also take the prescription to the reception desk, and give them the fax number. The pharmacy will accept a fax from Emory, but the staff always acts like it is extra work for them.
Metspitzer wrote:

Most fax machines, and computer fax programs, you can make the 'from' line say whatever you want. Unless they have a caller ID function on their fax machine that uses the caller ID string (possible, but I've never seen one like that), they'd never know. Or does your medical provider use a distinctive cover sheet with a rotating magic word or something?
Just sayin'
-- aem sends...

Sounds reasonable to me. I have had my doctor phone a prescription in to the drug store, and I have phoned them to renew a non-stocked prescription item, that I needed. Your method sounds reasonable, unless there are specific laws against it, I would look into another store, or at least ask why they won't do it. As a retired person, I have even negotiated a reduced rate for their "dispensing" fee in exhange for all my business.
Metspitzer wrote:

Hmmm, Vitamin D needs a prescription? Any how never buy D2. Only D3.

Regular Vit D no. My wife has a prescript for a massive dose once each 2 weeks (50,000 units #4) - that needs a prescription.
Harry K

Can't you just buy vitamin D over-the-counter?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

If it's a "prescription," his health plan may very well pay for it (or most of it).
HeyBub wrote:

Hi, Bottle of GOOD vitamin D3, 1000i.u. is way less than 10.00.

OK.........maybe it is not Vitamin D. He said my D was low and gave me a prescription I don't always check my facts before posting to Usenet.
To all that are wondering.........this is the exact med he prescribed. My drug company pays 75%
http://i37.tinypic.com/16hoqig.jpg
I can send my lab results if this still leaves unanswered questions. :)

Right. It's 50,000 IU Prescription strength.
Sev wrote:

DANG! That stuff will give you sunburn! *snicker*
TDD
-snip-

There is only a slight advantage to"checking your facts before posting to usenet" -- but checking what the Dr. prescribed, *and* what the pharmacist gave you could save your life.
When it is so easy to plug a name into google and check dosages, side-effect, and what meds are supposed to do, you're nuts not to take the 5 minutes.
Jim

My pharmacy makes me sign a release and check a box that I've declined 'counseling' on the drugs side effects and such. But they still staple a sheet with this info on the bag. I'd think most would do something similar, if not by law, by CYA so you can't come back on them saying they didn't tell you the side effects. So even without googling you should have plenty of info available.
My doctor also faxes or otherwise electronically sends my prescription to the pharmacy, but even with the 20 minute drive between the doctor's office and the pharmacy, they never have it ready when I get there. The paying customers at the window takes priority over the fax machine. They always get it filled within a few minutes, so I'm not all that put-out by the wait. Besides, the electronic form is less likely to ne misread by the pharmacist. We all know how bad a doctor's handwriting can be!
My pharmacy does not fill faxed prescriptions until the customer contacts them because many prescriptions faxed in by the Dr. are never picked up. When my doctor faxes in a prescription for me, I call the pharmacy and let them know I am coming and ask when it will be ready. They put it in line to be filled in front of any customers who walk-in after I call. Yours probably does the same. Try giving them a call.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Makes sense.
I remember the story of a chap clearing out his recently deceased grandfather's apartment in lower Manhattan. He found a receipt from a shoe-repair shop dated 1938!
Since the shoe-shop was still in business, he thought he might have some fun. Entering the shop, he walked to the counter and handed the cobbler the receipt.
Glancing at the ticket, the shoe repair guy said: "They'll be ready Wednesday."
My father told me the same joke about a guy who enlisted, and went to world war. On return, the military gave him back all his stuff. Including the shoe ticket "ready in about half hour".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Many Docs will fax prescriptions to the pharmacy.