OT sticky yellow plastic

Page 1 of 2
I've got an old Radio Shack FRS walkie talkie. The yellow soft plastic is sticky. I tried Simple Green, no better. Now trying Armor All, which also doesn't seem to help.
The soft yellow side is worse than the hard black side. Any ideas how to make it less sticky?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now there's a straight line... I've had the some thing with motorcycle and bicycle grips. I never figured out what caused the rubber to get sticky but the fix was replacing the grips. I tried putting talc on them. It was messy and did last too long.
On 10/19/2014 10:22 PM, rbowman wrote:

Bother, I did think of talc powder. Guess that won't last too long?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Razor blade ro peal the yucky layer off.
Possibly alcohol might work first.

On 10/19/2014 10:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Center posted like your reply. Another email friend of mine said he did try alcohol on a sticky walkie talkie he has, but it peeled off a layer of some thing.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Sprinkle dirt dust on it.

I'm sure you mean did not last too long. Not is the most ofen omitted word on the net, according to me.
Maybe you used too much and made it messy. How long did it last?
Maybe you could have washed off or brushed off the excess.
Maybe a different kind of dust.
My only real experience with this was mailing a check, and I wanted to tape the envelope closed, but found the only tape handy was two-sided-sticky. So IIRC I got some dust somewhere, maybe dried mud or soil and let that take up all the sticky spots. Worked fine for the 10 minutes to go to the post office.
On 10/19/2014 10:39 PM, micky wrote:

I was thinking talc powder, might do that next. It's morning after spraying the sticky yellow plastic with Armor All. It's less sticky, but sill slightly so. I will probably give it the full 24 or so hours, and see how it goes. Might give it another squirt of Armor All.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Is not!
The letter "T" is very ofen missing, though. (-:
--
Bobby G.

I'd try mineral spirits.
--
nestork

Or WD-40
Then degrease.
Greg
On 10/20/2014 3:08 AM, gregz wrote:

Degrease how? With mineral spirits?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

409 fantastic etc.
Greg
On 10/20/2014 10:43 PM, gregz wrote:

I tried "Simple Green". No better.
Day two, or maybe three. The radio got two doses of Armor All. And it feels much more like new soft plastic. The sticky has gone away. Thank you to all.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/20/2014 12:19 AM, nestork wrote:

Applied how? Some on a soft cloth, and rub it over?

The material is reverting back to its ancestrial form-crude oil. So while you may be able to scrape, peel, or coat to a solution, it will be temporary.
I had an X terminal where 2 of the 4 feet turned to ooze. Never understood why just 2 because all 4 were subject to the same light. temperature, and humidity swings. Best guess is that only those feet were making contact with the wire shelf it was sitting on.
On 10/20/2014 4:22 AM, Fake ID wrote:

Might be nothing I can do about it, at least nothing that will last very long? I wonder if I can get the yellow plastic off some how, and spray it with clear spray paint?

Acetone would probably take it off but I suspect it would continue to deteriorate.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/20/2014 8:35 AM, David L. Martel wrote:

I was also thinking spray paint. In this case, the walkie is about three by four inches. I'm not sure if the plastic comes off. To just spray it over would take a Japanese Rice Writer to do the masking. There is a window for the channel and codes, a couple buttons, and little holes for the mic and speaker. I don't have that level of skill.
It would be nice if the soft sticky plastic came off, but I doubt it.
The day after, it's less sticky after application of a bit of Armor All (not masked, just sprayed and later wiped off).
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/20/2014 9:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I tried the Armor All last night, maybe 8 PM. Today another spray, and then wipe, about 9 AM.
Noon, it's much better. Not totally perfect, but at least it doesn't give me the mental impression that I dipped the plastic in a sticky pot of some kind.
--
.
Christopher A. Young