OT: Steering wheel

Page 10 of 16
On 4/2/2016 6:25 AM, skate wrote:

The river we live near doesn't always have water in it because of the dams that are up river from use don't release the water very often. About 20 years ago the Army Corps of Engineers made the mistake of not releasing water soon enough after 3 days of spring torrential rains and one dam had reached critical levels and was in danger of a breach. So, they gave the cities and towns down stream about 6 hours notice that they had to release enormous amounts of water from the dam, and to GET OUT because the river and tributaries were going to flood.
One small town north of us got flood waters up to their roofs, and by the time the waters came through my town it only flooded the streets where I lived up to the top of the bottom step of the house we were renting. When the waters receded cities that were affected started flood management control plans over a period of years. It has helped avert many floods, but the BIG ONE that would happen if an upstream dam were to fail is nearly impossible to plan flood controls for - you just get a flood siren and you get in your car and drive to higher ground!
--
Maggie

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 18:13:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@thisisnotmyrealemail.com (skate) wrote:

There is the sidewalk, and the pavement. Cars drive on the pavement. So do bicycles. People walk on the sidewalk. At least that's how it is supposed to be. Some cyclists ride on the sidewalk too. In some areas we have "bike lakes" on the pavement. Someplaces we have "urban trailways" where people can walk or bike or roller-blade - - -.
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:33:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is pretty much how it works here (or, as you say, is supposed to work). I was really just playing up for this group in the UK. We do get most 'Americanisms' here quite quickly, especially with all your tv progs. and movies (and I fully intend to visit soon, I hope you'll let me in :). "Urban trailways" was a new on me, mind.
Thanks, for your explanation.

You can't get in because they pronounce terrorist and tourist identically.
--
A man goes into a library and asks for a book on suicide.
The librarian says, "Fuck off, you won't bring it back!"

:) (Well, we certainly let people in much easier than they do).

Easiest decision would be: "Does the person wishing to enter the country have a beard?"
--
Circumvent (n.), an opening in the front of boxer shorts worn by Jewish men.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 21:37:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@thisisnotmyrealemail.com (skate) wrote:

Future president Rump would prefer to be surronded by a wall all 'round.
Here in Canada we know the difference
On 3/31/2016 4:37 PM, skate wrote:

Yep, sometimes at least. I know of a guy that lives in Britain who managed to get himself on a security watch list, mainly because he was incredibly stupid. LOL
On 3/31/2016 4:05 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Who is "they"? Do you personally know all these people? How do you know how they pronounce anything?

Merkins.

TV.
--
Someday we'll look back on all this and plough into a parked car.

On 3/31/2016 7:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I believe the word you are looking for, and clearly couldn't find, is Americans.

Thanks for admitting what an idiot you truly are. The fact is, you don't know these people and in your ignorance of things you don't know, you have elected to believe what you see on television.
Do you think everyone who lives near Dallas lives on a large ranch?
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 20:55:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@thisisnotmyrealemail.com (skate) wrote:

Or Canadianisms, eh?

No such thing, you're just a combination of French, English, and American.
--
Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a few weeks of captivity, they can train humans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them fish?

On 3/31/2016 5:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've been to Canada a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

In what way?
--
Why is it that when you transport something by car, it's called a shipment, but when you transport something by ship, it's called cargo?

On 3/31/2016 7:08 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

The places I visited were beautiful, clean and the people were amazing. Lots of things to see and do there as well.

Don't encourage our Parrot friend. We are a very welcoming country, but we do NOT want that arrogant law-breaking, nasty excuse for a human being on our shores.

You're not a real Canadian are you?
--
Corduroy pillows are making headlines!

On 4/1/2016 6:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think he believes he's much too superior to visit :)

Compared to Americans, any people are nice :-P
--
Corduroy pillows are making headlines!