OT: Steering wheel

Page 9 of 16

Please go back to your pathetic fake church and stop pestering others.
--
Seen in the back window of a car:
In case of emergency screw driver on back seat.

It takes two to cause a collision, therefore the pedestrian was also not looking where they were going.

Would you really cycle on a busy road in preference to an empty pavement?!? That makes you selfish, holding up cars.
--
My wife and I were watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire while we were in bed.
I turned to her and said, "Do you want to have sex?"

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 18:41:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@thisisnotmyrealemail.com (skate) wrote:

rules of the road. Bikes travel a lot faster than pedestrians and power wheel chairs. Our "sidewalks" tend to be just over a meter wide, so collisions between bikes and pedestrians are a very real danger with cyclists on the sidewalk or "pavement" as you Brits call it.
I do better than 90% of my cycling on the roads, with short sections on the sidewalks and the rest on the trailways. (which are generally 2 meters or more in width, and paved like the roads with asphault)
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:37:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But that is the problem, isn't it? Many cyclists think the rules aren't made for them - they think they are more vulnerable, discriminated against and shouldn't have to follow the rules. Drivers of motor vehicles are, to a large extent, obliged to follow the rules of the road, both legal and informal, and cyclists aren't. That is what really gets up driver's noses. Motorists hate cyclists because they think they offend the moral order. A hallmark of humans, is to get angry at people who break the rules, who take the benefits without contributing to the cost. And cyclists trigger this anger when they use the roads but don't follow the same rules as cars.

Yes but bike don't have to travel as fast as they can, just like cars don't have to.

I think most cyclists are like you, reasonable and responsible (I don't live in London, mind).

I get angry at people who FOLLOW the law. Idiot drivers stopping at a pedestrian crossing on a red light when the pedestrian has finished crossing so there is nobody to wait for!

I do on a bike, it's severely limited by the power of your legs. Whereas a car is limited by traction on the corners.
--
Paddy and his wife are lying in bed and the neighbours' dog is barking like mad in the garden.
Paddy says "To hell with this!" and storms off.
On 3/31/2016 5:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

the law. I often wonder why you are rotting away in a prison somewhere.

Why do you believe the law is more intelligent than your own brain?
--
Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.

On 3/31/2016 7:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

And where, exactly, did I say or imply such a thing?
On 3/31/2016 4:29 PM, skate wrote:

used to live in Austin, which is on the edge of the hill country and the cyclists liked to speed down the hills, only to find themselves being fined for speeding.
Another problem I've noticed is that there are those drivers who don't seem to believe that cyclist, and those riding motorcycles, shouldn't be on the road so they simply ignore them. That's bad.

I think I'll take a cyclist of similar weight to me colliding with me, over a car with 15 times the weight of me colliding with me. Basic physics says the car is gonna hurt a lot more, even at the same speed.
--
"Get as far away from the nuclear explosion as possible" - Rodney McKay, Stargate Atlantis.

On 31/03/2016 23:13, Mr Macaw wrote:

to cycle safely on roads. You clearly need to learn to conquer your fear of traffic. Most other cyclists manage to do it straight away.
--
Bod

Who said I was scared of traffic? I'm not the one who wants huge gaps when overtaking.
--
Japanese scientists have created a camera with a shutter speed so fast, they can now photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

On 3/31/2016 1:41 PM, skate wrote:

We have a park along a river near here where the city created separate paved paths - one is for walking pedestrians, and the other is for cyclists, skate boarders, and skaters. The cyclists, people on wheels, got to where they were endangering the walkers because they'd travel too fast on the same path, so the city revamped all the paths to accommodate them separately.
--
Maggie

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 23:31:38 -0500, Muggles

I think your city has been very sensible and forward thinking in going ahead and revamping. Yet I know some people won't agree. It would bring criticism and accusations of cheaters and free-riders from those who tend to see cyclists as, well, spongers on society. It's a hard life, isn't it? :)
On 4/1/2016 3:38 AM, skate wrote:

(excess trailing text trimmed)

I wonder what that cost the tax payer? Well, it's done now. Might be cheaper than bicycle collisions and the various medical costs.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/1/2016 2:38 AM, skate wrote:

The way we see it here is that cyclists were trying to ride on the 4 lane road that goes parallel to the river trails and some of them were getting hit by cars. The car drivers weren't always at fault, as were the cyclists not always being at fault. A few people were killed, even. The river trails are a main attraction for the city and many people use it to walk, cycle, jog, roller skate, and skate board on it for exercise. The plan for a long time was to upgrade the trails to accommodate separate paved paths to make it safer for everyone. Now, the cyclists are trying to use the 4 lane busy road, there haven't been any major accidents between cyclists and motorists, and pedestrians aren't being hit by cyclists or others on wheels running them down on the trail paths. Everyone has a marked path to use, now. If you're on foot, use the foot path. If on wheels use the cycle path.
--
Maggie

You must mean that now the cyclists are *not* trying to use the 4 lane busy road there haven't been any major accidents.

Sounds as if the people who plan the city's infrastructure have managed to get things sorted out to the benefit of all concerned on the trail paths as well as the parallel busy road now. It is obviously a good thing that your river trails can be happily and safely enjoyed by cyclists and pedestrians alike - and it all makes for pleasant reading.
On 4/1/2016 12:43 PM, skate wrote:

Right!

So far so good, anyway, with the river trails.
The city also came up with plans for flood control systems here after a major flood hit the city some years ago. They implemented those plans, too, and all we have these days are nominal street flooding in heavy rains. Of course, there could always be a major event that caused the river the flood, but that would really be hard to plan for not every having a flood event like that. If a dam upstream failed, for example, all the flood control systems wouldn't be able to help at that point.
--
Maggie

Everything seems to come at a price, doesn't it. If you have all the benefits of a nearby river and live close by, the risk of flooding in extreme weather may be something of a worry. I live near what used to be a fishing village (now primarily a summer tourist attraction) and when walking the coastal paths get really envious of people who have marvelous properties with glorious views close to the edge of the sea. Then you learn that some of these people have real concerns about rising sea levels and coastal erosion to which some properties, similar to theirs, have already actually been lost over the years.
Still, I feel pretty sure I would be prepared to live knowing my home could be endangered by certain extreme prevailing weather conditions if the property was in an otherwise particularly desirable location. Within limits, of course, but I think a certain amount of risk is an acceptable price to pay for a really nice place.