OT: Steering wheel

Page 8 of 16  


I think the pedestrian should have priority because the bicycle can cause them more harm than they can cause to bicycle. Realising and appreciating that is what makes the cyclist reasonable and responsible.

You make the judgement and if you are wrong then you will have to face the consequences.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Why is that a reason? Do you walk across a road without looking, because the car can cause more harm so he must get out of your way?

The thing that can manoeuvre the easiest is what should move. That's how it works with ships.

No, everyone avoids each other, use common sense.
--
More than 10,000 people in England and Wales required professional treatment for injuries caused by home telephones in 2002.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Because it is a reasonable and responsible thing for a cyclist to do.

No. As a pedestrian, I keep out of the way of cars just as I would keep out of the way of bicycles. But I fully expect drivers and cyclists to be doing their best to avoid colliding with me at all times and in all circumstances. A bully in a car or on a bicycle could easily use their machine to their unfair advantage.

A bicycle, appropriately ridden, is hardly less maneuverable than a person. A ship doesn't come into it.

Everyone tries to avoid each other yet many don't manage it, often because someone's common sense is a bit lacking.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It is also a reasonable and responsible thing for a pedestrian to step to the side of the cyclist, which is why I always do so. What magically gives the pedestrian more rights than the cyclist? They are the SAME PEOPLE! One chose to get on his bike, they are both humans, probably living in the same town, they are no different to one another.

Make up your mind. If you want to cross the road, do you give way to the cars or expect them to give way to you?

A person can sidestep, a bicycle can't.
Ships are a valid analogy, as they come in different sizes, and different manoeuvrabilities.

No, because two people's common sense is lacking. You only need one person to react to avoid the collision.
--
Pokemon (n), a Rastafarian proctologist.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/31/2016 3:24 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

But you are a bully in a car and believe that pedestrians need to be wary of you, even though your laws concerning zebra crossings say just the opposite.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I get the feeling you're talking to me, yet you're replying to something skate said.
--
My ex-wife was temperamental.
90% temper and 10% mental.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

[huge snip]

He does it to offend. PDFTT. Fu set to urc
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:36:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@thisisnotmyrealemail.com (skate) wrote:

This is where, as usual, you are wrong. In the eyes of the law a cyclist is a vehicle

That may be true, but under maritime law, the canoe has the right of way. Now there IS the concept of being "dead right", and stepping aside for a bike is a good thing to do.

If a "sidewalk" is very lightly used and the road is very busy, and there are no "cycling lanes" using the "sidewalk" (or as you Brits call it - the "pavement" makes sense and is sensible - providing the cyclist makes way for pedestrians, on who's turf he is impinging.

I've been cycling for some 50 years and have never had a mishap on the road.. I have had my face scratched by impinging hedges while riding on the "sidewalks" leading to the trailways. I use the sidewalk from the nearest intersection to the trailway so I don't need to climb the kerb to get to the trailway where there is no kerb-cut.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The law is not always right. Consider the mass and power of each.
Why are you replying to me if I'm killfiled? Absence makes the heat grow fonder?

I don't believe you. Under maritime law the most manoeuvrable vessel must give way. E.g. consider a windsurf and a car ferry.

The pavement is not designated for pedestrians. It's anything low speed that fits on it, including walkers, runners, wheelchairs, mobility scooters, and cyclists. There are no priorities, just common sense and courtesy.
--
The reason your print job died unexpectedly is because we lost coolant to the firewall and the ether in the net blew up.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/31/2016 4:10 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

The law is still legal, regardless of whether or not you consider it right or wrong. Which means, you lose. You don't get to pick and choose which laws you'll obey. Well, you can, but then you deal with the consequences.

And you're wrong. Vessels under sail have the right of way in a channel, unless the other traffic cannot maneuver, such as an oil tanker. The rulings on vessels under sail seem to vary, based on whether or not the channel has been designated as narrow. That being said, sailboats often cannot maneuver based on wind and other conditions. In those instances, hopefully the people in the boat are wearing life jackets because they may need them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It's only illegal if you're caught.

I said car ferry, which can't change direction as easily as a windsurf.

So nobody knows, best just to both avoid each other, especially if you're in the smaller one and will get hurt more.

Life jackets don't make you invulnerable, they just protect you if you fall in, don't get squashed , and can't swim.
--
A man goes home early and catches another man in bed with his wife.
He drags the naked man out of the house and into his garden shed.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/31/2016 7:13 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

That's an incorrect statement.

Those that should know, do know since they are either legally required to know or they are smart enough to know the rules that apply to sea going vessels.

So, where did I imply such a thin?. Having been on a large ship that ran over a sailboat, those in the boat were smart enough to get off before being run down.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/31/2016 7:13 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

So, are you claiming that all laws are based on whether or not someone is observed committing an infraction? IOW, if no one actually witnesses the act, it's not illegal?
If someone enters your home, while you're away and steals everything you own, then leaves, all without being seen by another, does that mean no crime has been committed?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

As far as the criminal is concerned, yes. As he is Scot free.
I break the speed limit every day, but I haven't been caught for about 8 years. As far as I'm concerned, I've not broken the law, as nothing happened.
--
What do black men do after sex?
15 years to life.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 4/1/2016 5:33 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Well no, that's an assumption that isn't based on anything. Just because one isn't seen doesn't automatically lead to the conclusion that there isn't evidence left behind. Some people have security cameras, some criminals leave fingerprints. He's not scot free, he just hasn't been caught yet.

Just because you've haven't gotten caught doesn't mean you haven't broken the law. You have, by your own admission.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Usually you know pretty quickly.

It had no effect, so I may aswell say I haven't.
--
It's strange, isn't it? You stand in the middle of a library and go "Aaaaaaagghhhh!!!!" and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an aeroplane, and everyone joins in.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 4/1/2016 7:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

You're free to say whatever you like, no matter how wrong it is.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/31/2016 3:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I didn't know that about canoes. I sailed on tankers and the only vessels we were concerned with were those under sail, which have the right of way. Unfortunately, a tanker in a relatively narrow channel cannot stop or turn, so regardless of having the right of way, a vessel under sail is gonna lose.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, the majority of people are responsible and reasonable - and for those that aren't there should be strict rules of enforcement.

Yes, that has to be right as well.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 3/31/2016 2:59 PM, skate wrote:

|| || [christmas presents]
Please trim excess trailing text.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.