OT: Steering wheel

Page 4 of 16

Oh, it was just that remark about multitasking on you phone while driving that fooled me. [g]
--
RonNNN

Plenty people do that.
--
Peter is listening to "Hollywood Undead - Turn Out The Lights"

On 3/21/2016 11:49 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I'm left handed. Most times I have one hand at 8 o'clock. If I have two hands on the wheel, most times it is 8 & 4. rarely do I use 10 and 2.
My car will give me a warning if I have no hands on the wheel too long but it is capable of following the white lines on a curve.

Same here, except right handed, and possibly towards 5, not 4.

If it can steer itself, why the warning?
--
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

On 3/21/2016 2:45 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Self driving is not legal yet. It give a warning and also will drop the steering (lane assist) This is my car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTIXldrq3Q

Who's going to peer into your car while you're going along to check?

So it's got a feature which it immediately turns off. Why have the feature?

Cool. But why did they skid? Don't they have ABS?
--
Kakistocracy - Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kakistocracy

My car gives me a warning too if my hands are off the wheel too long.... the sounds of guardrail scrapping along the side.

Do you have rumble strips in America? I was once on a school trip (no not as a pupil, I was the school computer technician) and the bus driver kept nodding off. The bus would veer onto the rumble strip and make a noise, which woke him up. It was a 7 hour overnight drive to an amusement park.
--
Love is complicated machinery.
But sometimes all you need is a good screw to fix it.
On 3/22/2016 5:54 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

First I saw them here in the east was about 10 years ago. Hate to admit it, but I did get use of them once. Glad it was there.

I cannot fall asleep while driving, it's impossible. To fall asleep I have to be horizontal and motionless. Perhaps you should see a doctor.

On 3/22/2016 8:10 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I did.
I was working summers as a toll collector and had just finished a double shift ending at 7 am Sunday morning. Bump of wheel hitting edge of road woke me up. Also went to church before going home and fell asleep there.
I hear new EyeSight system such as available at Subaru may be mandated in the future:
http://www.subaru.com/engineering/eyesight.html
http://autocontentexp.com/safest-cars-in-america/
I did not get it on my new Subaru but understand they see a 60% accident reduction in models that have it.
On 3/22/2016 8:44 PM, Frank wrote:

On my car it is called "Lane Keep Assist". It gives a visual warning, vibrates the steering wheel and can nudge the wheel back to the lane.
Auto braking is part of it. I've used it as part of the adaptive cruise control, but I hope to never try it for an emergency stop. It was agreed by 20+ car makers to make it standard by the 2022 models.
Backup cameras will be mandatory on 2018 models. I've had it on my last two cars and would not buy a car without it.

Why do you need more than one? Or do you mean reverse?

Don't you know what a mirror is for?
--
Today's woman puts on wigs, fake eyelashes, false fingernails, sixteen pounds of assorted make-up/shadows/blushes/creams, living bras, various pads that would make a linebacker envious, has implants and assorted other surgeries, then complains that she cannot find a "real" man.

On 3/23/2016 3:13 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Reverse. Far superior to mirrors as you eliminate the blind spot. People, mostly kids, are killed by backing cars every year. It is impossible to see the are below the trunk close to the car.
Backovers kill about 300 people every year because they were not visible in the mirror. Sadly, many are kids killed by their parents.
That aside, backing is just easier as you can see exactly where you are backing to another car or barrier.

Kids stupid enough not to move when a car starts up need removing from the gene pool. Even my cats get out of the way!

People who have problems with blind spots are just shit at driving. It's not a blind spot if you're moving, as the spot moves, so your brain should be able to fill in the gaps. Besides, with 6 windows and three mirrors, you can see everywhere you need to.
--
It said, "Insert disk #3," but only two will fit!

On 3/23/2016 3:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In the 50 plus years I've been on Earth, I only know of <one> backover. And the idiot driver was acting angry, and the nitwit who got over'd was a damn fool to have stepped behind an angry driver. I never would have stepped behind that driver.
Yes, I'm eye witness.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I'm wondering how many kids bicycles or tricycles have been run over by folks like Mr Macaw?
--
RonNNN

says...

I'm wondering how many kids bicycles or tricycles have been run over by folks like Mr Macaw?
--
RonNNN

That's hardly life threatening is it? Unless the kid beats you up for damaging his tricycle.
Anyway, it'll teach the kid not to double park.
--
Watching his date from the corner of his eye while he poured her a drink, the young bachelor said, "Say when."
She replied, "Right after that drink."

Nope, not life threatening, but it does show the even YOU can't see everything behind your car in your rear view mirrors.
I find the backup camera really comes in handy when backing up to a wall or other vehicles in a parking lot.
I suppose some folks may consider you to be the "Devil's Advocate", but most of the things you post make you look like an idiot to me.
--
RonNNN