OT: Steering wheel

Page 3 of 16

Only if you're not wearing a seatbelt. Van drivers have those here, very useful.
How come your government doesn't care if you shoot each other, but they care about a little bump on your wheel?
--
Bakers trade bread recipes on a kneadtoknow basis.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 15:03:21 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

AKA the KNUCKLE-BUSTER.

They've never done that to me.
I've heard of a knuckle breaker. That's a very long lever you put on a wheelnut to remove it when it's stiff. When it finally gives, your knuckles scrape off the car or the ground.
--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - Ring dinge ding"

I reserve that for the adjustabe wrenches.
Not sure why but for some reason many years ago I started referring to the slip joint pliers as Ford pliers. Might be because I have heard that many years ago all it took to repair them was some pliers and bailing wire.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:50:01 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Cockshutt and the 44 Massey Harris. I took the one off the '43 PowerWagon the second time it bit me. IIRC.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:26:36 -0700, "taxed and spent"

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:26:36 -0700, "taxed and spent"

"taxed and spent" <

I've got a '73 Dodge plow truck and I have a knob on the wheel in line with the transmission shift lever. Left hand is working the plow lift rod. The plow is engine driven hydraulics, no electric pump. I consider the knob to be a very valuable item when plowing and my left hand never touches the wheel! This truck has an automatic tranny and I plow in low range. Manual shift trannys suck the bag big time for plowing! phil k.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:55:41 -0400, "Phil Kangas"

pleasureable - and it eliminates the common job of replacing the clutch mid-winter.

Tire chains on all four plus a thousand pounds of ballast sure add to the enjoyment! I have a pipe I mount on the cutting edge for fall and spring plowing. Without the pipe the blade will tip forward and then it cuts matte but then it is very hard to push. That's where the chains make the difference. Everyone hates to do this because the blade snaps back upright hard wrecking the pivot pins. So what I did was install an extended cylinder with a single hose to a one gallon tank full of coolant with a flow control valve with needle control. The blade is free to tip forward but the needle valve slows the return to vertical. Looks peculiar and gets many comments but it works. When a 318 is working hard in low gear low range work is getting done! ;>)} pdk
On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:06:58 -0400, "Phil Kangas"

lot of snow.
I used to also run a '43 Power Wagon as a tow truck. With (4) chains on the military tires it would go through just about anything.. I got it stuck ONCE in winter of '69-'70 - buried up to the beltline in snow - went in hot as a cherry and was a huge icecube by the time 2 road graders and a 6X6 plow truck got it popped out.

I've never heard of anyone using high noon.
--
Did you hear about the new instant lottery game in India?
You scratch the ticket and if the dot matches the one on your forehead, you win a convenience store in the US.

You never see guys with one hand at the top of the wheel, cruising along? Maybe it is because you don't have interstates. Going a couple hundred miles without having to really make a turn can make you lackadaisical about the driving part.

In a built up area with the music on loud showing off to girls maybe, but noon is the least comfortable position for a long drive. 6 is the most.
--
You know, sometimes I get the sudden urge to run around naked.
But then I just drink some Windex. It keeps me from streaking.

Right hand at the 3 oclock position, beer in left hand.
I was taught the 10 and 2 in drivers ed in high school about 50 years ago . Now with the air bags it is the 9 and 3 position. Some of the stering wheels are made with the spokes set so you can place your hands there, or a single spoke that goes from one side to the other with holes in it for the hands.
On 3/21/2016 1:02 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

It was like that in my first airbag cars. I also got in an accident where they went off and had my hand been on top of the wheel it definitely would have been a problem.
With my new car, the air bag is more concentrated to the center of the wheel and may not be as much of a problem in 10 to 2 but definite problem if at 12.
New cars also with gadgets like blue tooth and dash read out buttons on the wheel will put you in 10 to 2 position. Funny the other day going to beep the horn when I passed a friend walking, the horn was moved from old model to the smaller air bag housing in the center.

I like cars without airbags with the horn in the centre of the wheel. When you press a horn, you're usually doing it quickly or angrily, so having a silly little button on the end of the indicator stalk, or the edge of the central airbag, is useless.
--
Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.

Mr Macaw submitted this idea :

10 and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel is old school now. Because there is a air bag in the steering wheel on all new cars, 9 and 3 o'clock would be the safest, but if you have a cell phone, don't use it while driving.

I can multitask.
--
Next time you wave at me, use more than one finger please.

Is that you, Jenn?
--
RonNNN