OT: Steam Shovel Terminology

Page 2 of 2

Excavator.
On 11-14-2013, 11:34, Pavel314 wrote:

Why does it matter? Call it anything your listener will understand.
Unless you're on Usenet. Then you need a term no one will get but which lets you use "logic" to fuel the inevitable argument.
--
Wes Groleau

------
On 11-14-2013, 11:34, Pavel314 wrote:

http://books.google.com/books?id=YhhjClaj92AC
--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible

I think I read about steam shovels in children's books, or the comic strips.. I don't think my parents ever had reason to talk about them.
Maybe toy advertisements and calalogs advertised steam shovels.
I may have found a big one in the woods when I was 6 or 8. I left it there and went back a week later. It was still there, so I figured it was abandoned and I took it home, a block and a half from where I found it. There was a whole block of houses that backed against these woods, and even though I couldn't see the house becase of the trees and brush, I guess I was behind the house with another little boy, who complained that his steam shovel was missing. One or more people had seen me taking it home -- I wasn't hiding anything -- and they called my parents who gave it back when I was out (at school maybe). I was a little embarrassed but not much. He shouldn't have left his toys out all night, much less a whole week. Although now I can see how it happened, and the weather hadn't harmed it. yet.

They don't really look the same anymore. so its reasonable that their name has changed. Steam shovels had what looked like a small dumpster at the end, and it scooped with that. The arm went up and to the rear, where it intersected another arm that went down and to the rear which came out of the front of the steam shovel.