OT: Steam Shovel Terminology

Page 1 of 2
There's a big construction project going on below my office window. Right n ow, they're digging dirt at one end of the area and trucking it over to the construction site to level the ground. My friend and I, both in our 60's, referred to the machines digging the dirt as "steam shovels" although they haven't been run on steam in the U.S. for probably the last 70-80 years. I guess we just heard our parents call them that from when they were kids and steam was in use.
What's the proper terminology these days? Plain old "shovel" isn't descript ive enough and "diesel shovel" doesn't sound right. Maybe "power shovel" or "excavation shovel"?
Paul
On 11/14/2013 10:34 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

in our 60's, referred to the machines digging the dirt as "steam shovels" ...

"Excavator"

On 11/14/2013 8:34 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

If the digger is on tracks, it's called a trackhoe. If on the back of a tractor, it's called a backhoe. Paul

and if its on a mattress, it's just a hoe<g>

No, it would be a ho. Ho, ho, ho. Got it?

One of my darker skinned cousins defined the sex trade for me one day. He said, "A Ho, she a professional, she do it fo money. A hoar do it wit anybody." ^_^
TDD

Ultimately then, it's a "digger", right?
Or is it always referred to only as "trackhoe" or "backhoe"?
--
Tegger

Cat calls it an Excavator.
http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/equipment/excavators.html
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:57:25 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I think we can trust the Cat people.
Thanks to all.
Paul
On 11/14/2013 4:14 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

Hate it when I find one of them things on my kitchen counter. Eating off my plate.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Or pooping in my flowerbed.
The neighbors have two of those little poop-machines. I catch them in the flowers all summer. They knocked over two of our dahlias, too.
I made a couple of small signs and put them in the flowerbed on sticks, hoping to shame the neighbors into keeping their cats under control, but they totally missed the message.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/cat-restroom.jpg
--
Tegger

On 11-14-2013, 19:10, Tegger wrote:

But the cats didn't. That's why they go there.
What you need is a sign that says "Warning: Urine detector will trigger the release of nerve gas."
If the cats don't believe it, then hook it up to a sprinkler.
Use actual nerve gas only if the sprinkler doesn't work.
--
Wes Groleau

“Ideas are more powerful than guns,
email.me:

But I used "international" bathroom signs. Don't cats know "internationalese"?

If I'm using the garden hose and the neighbors aren't looking, I spray the cats. Heh heh heh... They never come near me anymore, but they sure love my flowers.
--
Tegger

On 11-15-2013, 15:29, Tegger wrote:

You said the neighbors _missed_ the message. I said the cats didn't miss it. That's why they're going where you put the sign.

Sprinklers in the flower garden, infrared "fence" around it. Cat breaks the beam, cat gets wet.
Gardener forgets to turn it off, gardener gets wet. :-)
--
Wes Groleau

Free speech has its limits
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:38:57 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:

Only if you're two years old.

It's regional. Tracked machines are "excavators" and rubber-tired tractor-based machines are "backhoes" in my area of the USA.
Technically the tractor-based ones are TLB's or tractor/loader/backhoe. Backhoe is just the attachment on the rear. I think TLB is a common term used in Canada. In England it's common to call them JCB's, a popular brand.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Well, I'm 52, so that's not far off, just one digit.
I just realized I haven't found time to have my mid-life-crisis/second- childhood yet, so I'd better get cracking.

Not being in construction, I have no idea about the regional terms. But when I Google for excavators or TLBs in my area of Canada, I get way more hits for "excavator" than I do for "TLB".
--
Tegger

How much does google care about your location when no commerce is involved?
And while we're at it, why did google get rid of the Images, Maps, Translate, etc. headers at the top of the page?
Wasn't it enought when it made it harder to get to google cache and when it stopped highlighting search terms in google cache?
What is the point of using google now, when one can type in maps.goo... from anywhere?

A lot, when I use the search terms" excavator canada" or "tlb canada".

www.google.com now looks a lot like their original page.

Never noticed that before, but you're right.

Typing "maps.goo" takes me to maps.google.com, centered over Nebraska.
--
Tegger

That makes sense!

Exactly. Now that there are google maps, images, translate, etc. I don't want it to look like the original page. I want it to have the google links on it.

Highlighting the search terms, each word in its own color, was worth a lot, but it's gone.

Wow. I actually meant maps google.com, but now I know maps.goo is enough (maybe using a feature of the browse).
But my point was, when there were links at the top of the page, I didn't have to type anything.
They made google cache more difficult, I assume, because their servers were tired, because people probably used them a lot when they could just go to the real webpage, but I can't see why they would deemphasize images, shopping, maps, translate, etc.

Maybe they get more ad dollars by making people search for absolutely everything?
--
Tegger