OT, Southern Blizzard

I spent a year in AK about 80 miles south of the artic circle. On one side of the buildings you could see the tundra all winter, on the other side we would ski off the roofs in our seal skin slippers. As long as there was nothing to block the snow, it just blew away. Anything sitting around got buried.

The maintenance crew used to refill the small lakes used for water by waiting for them to freeze over then setting up a few rows of snow fence on top. Once the snow drifted and buried the snow fence they'd add more snow fence to the tops of drifts to capture more snow. The piles would get pretty high by the end of winter and then the snow would melt and they'd drag the snow fence out with a tractor.

We'd shovel around the entrance ways, piling up the snow on each side. When it got to be about 8' high, we'd build a frame and lay plywood across it for a roof making kind of a tunnel extending from the door. Then we'd dig steps into the snow so you sort of climbed up out of the drift that buried the building

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, then a TV station devoted to Red Neck bass fishing?

.

No silly, they would celebrate it but even better, name a beer after them. ?

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Trying to line it up on miror, and snort it?

.

Back in 1989, I was in Los Angeles when it snowed there. It was a very light snow but the Mexicans were freaking out. ?

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dean Hoffman

Yeah it is down to 64.6f at 7:30PM

Oh the humanity!

Reply to
gfretwell

I've seen that video ;-)

Reply to
whisky.dave

DIARY OF A SNOW SHOVELER

December 8: 6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic: we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9: We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a lovelier place in the whole world? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snow plow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12: The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. l don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14: Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped too. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snow plow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15: 20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16: Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour... which I think was very cruel.

December 17: Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20: Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Damn snow plow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have Another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22: Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white shjt fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss. By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the a$$hole is lying.

December 23: Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What? Is she nuts?!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24: 6". Snow packed so hard by snow plow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of a bitch who drives that snow plow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shovelling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25: Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the @$#%^$&$@#$ slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snow plow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to kill her.

December 26: Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27: Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze.

December 28: Warmed up to above -50. Still snowed in. MY WIFE is driving me crazy!!!!!

December 29: 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30: Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31: Set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8: I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

Reply to
Thomas

Just unwrap your armory of firearms and shoot all the snowflakes. Where you live, aren't guns at least part of the solution to all the world's woes?

Reply to
Peter

No, I don't own a firearm. Funny thing about The South that the P.L.L.C.F will never acknowledge, there is much less racism and hate here than there is in places like Chicago and New York. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I wonder how much of the violence in Chicago is racist? Or, if it's within ethnic communities? Whites shooting at whites, for example?

.

No, I don't own a firearm. Funny thing about The South that the P.L.L.C.F will never acknowledge, there is much less racism and hate here than there is in places like Chicago and New York. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The certainly are one solution to the woe of leftism.

Reply to
krw

You got that right! I wouldn't have believed it until I moved South.

Reply to
krw

Canadians do NOT know how to drive in snow. I drive an hour to work every morning thru the western portions of Toronto. Trust me, Canucks can't handle snow driving.

Reply to
Hench

I've noticed that in recent years places like Maryland and Virginia get snow storms before Toronto does. They get snow in October it seems now in those parts of the US

Reply to
Hench

It's because of The Weather War waged by Global Warming Terrorists, the GWT lead by Al Gore and his weather disrupting satellite weapons. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You are talking TORONTONIANS..And half of them are imports.

Reply to
clare

Damned Westerners. ;-)

Where? Of course I was sheltered, growing up in a University town (leftist, even then). Growing up in IL, I was always surprised about Boston's bussing, until I moved to the Northeast. Then it all made sense.

Reply to
krw

Rednecks are just part of America. Add in some Whitenecks and some Bluenecks and you have the American Flag in all it's glory!!!!

Reply to
homeowner

That's not snow, it's cocaine falling from heaven.....

Reply to
homeowner

I thought they were "redskins" and "blue noses"...

Reply to
krw