OT - Sorta - Woodpeckers:

Woodpeckers are either very dumb or very devious.

By the time the sound travels from their beak, through the aluminum gutters and into the structure of our house it sounds like a machine gun. Will jolt a beer right out of you hand.

@^%$!& little bastards!

RonB ;O)

Reply to
RonB

It helps to switch to Jack Daniels.

Reply to
Norminn

Hi Rob~ you are lucky for your woodpecker to start at 10 Ours is up and pecking by 5:30AM. I agree about the echoing of the pecking; I haven't set my alarm clock in week Robes, I feel your pain

Reply to
girlj999

We had flickers, a type of woodpecker, building nests in the cedar siding. They were always on the side that faced northeast and nothing deterred them, even a fresh coat of stain. Come home from work and there was Ms. Flicker sitting in a hole in the siding with the insulsation used as nesting material. I did blast a couple of them with a 12 gauge although the 1st time I tried it, the blast tore the hell out of the soffuts and gutter. Finally covered the northeast side with a stone veneer.

Reply to
Way Back Jack

Woodpeckers peck for three reasons -- to excavate food -- to excavate nesting cavities -- to drum, to advertise their territory. Most of these birds have discovered metal structures (e.g. barn roofs) are better for #3 i.e. make a louder noise.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

We had a Woodpecker at our cabin in the backwoods of Wisconsin. Discovered that the steel perpendicular holding the TV antenna and cell phone repeater to be a wonderful "sounding board".. Punctual as a Drill Sergeant, he went to work at 0530 every morning to announce "wake-up"..

Sadly, he's not been around this year. I found myself missing him..

Reply to
Atila Iskander

They love the east side of my cedar house for nesting. It's the most secluded side. Just be careful shooting them (other than hitting the house ;) ). They are a federal protected bird, but you can get nuisance permits to eliminate them.

Reply to
jimmydahgeek