OT sort of; bottled water

Page 2 of 5
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:00:52 -0600, sylvan butler

I heard that bottled water cost between 200 and 200,000 times the cost of tap water.

OK. That's good. (I'm sure some people will misunderstand that, but still, it's pretty good. There is a spring near here, right along the road. I should go sometime. It's 15 miles away, and I'm not sure where, but I could find it.

So they distill it and add "the" minersals back afterwards. That doesn't sound very natural, and if they use the very same minerals it sounds like a waste of time**. If they use different minerals, iut sounds freaky.
**OK, maybe they put back everything but the chlorine, but I like chlorine. The greenness disguises the fact that my teeth aren't very white.
You only have to boil water for a minute or two to kill all the germs. You don't have to evaporate all of it. And it won't have any germs if it has been chlorinated.

Neither can I, even with spring water, and if I ever noticed a difference, it would do me no good, because I'm going to drink tap water.
They say that bottled water costs between 200 and 200,000 times what tap water costs.
Before I got to Geneva, my friend found out for me how to say tap water. It's eau d'robinette, iirc. It's not in the paperback dictionary, so write it down. (Although maybe robinette means a spigot??, and that would be in the dictionary.) We went out to an fairly expensive restaurant once, and though I asked for that, they brought each of us a small bottle of water. I went out to the car and got my canteen, and after the first bottle, just used the water from that to fill my glass. She's by no means a spendthrift, but didn't like what I was doing. Fortunately, she's not my girlfriend either, so I just kept doing it with no price to pay. I think the bottle was a dollar and a quarter or more, and I drank 6 bottles' worth. No way am I paying 7 1/2 dollars for water for one meal. I still think 7 1/2 dollars is enough to buy a whole meal.

mm wrote:

I had dinner several years ago with a non-drinking coworker in Geneva. He said it was funny that his water and my beer cost about the same ;) Frank
Frank wrote:

Yes, and the joke was on him.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

CONveniences (cap locks intentional)
-- Oren
Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Oren wrote:

Convenience is a big one. Shelf life is another.
The water in the bottle is *not* the same as that from a garden hose or tap, even if the initial source was the tap, it is significantly cleaner biologically. Remember that tap water going into the bottling plant is filtered, chlorinated, dechlorinated and reverse osmosis filtered, all the while passing through piping systems that are sanitized with chlorinated water several times per shift along with the bottling line and then it's filled into bottles that have been sanitized as well. It's the same water and process as the soda bottled on the same lines.
Pete C.

And Evian spelled backwards is................... - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

At least, that is what they want you to think you are paying for... You should read the test results on bottled water sometime. Some are good. Many are not so good.
sdb
--
What\'s seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
sylvan butler wrote:

I'm not interested in bogus "test result" propaganda put out by the loony groups opposed to bottled water. I've spent days at a Coca Cola bottling plant and know full well how their products are produced.

As long as you understand drinking bottled water is analogous to drinking a coke or a beer it is not confusing. Drinking bottled water around the house is silly if your tap water is drinkable but on the road it is just a soft drink, that is better for you than sugar water or the chemical equivilent in a "diet" drink..

That's how I view it. I bottle of water every month or so to obtain the bottle, then refill it as needed. Toss bottle after while to prevent alge, mold, and bacterial growth.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it is not necessarily true that bottled water is cleaner biologically than tap water. In many areas, tap water is bound by higher standards than those set for bottled water.
As far as I'm concerned, I am all for the guy who can market and sell tap water's approximate equal (we can quibble all we want over details, the difference is not significant in most cases, and bottled water doesn't always end up on top). I'm just not going to be a customer when there is a suitable substitute readily available and several magnitudes lower in cost. A pint of tap water costs about 1/100 of a cent. A pint of bottled water costs about $1.
There was, in fact, a restaurant (I believe it was The Berghoff, now gone) which was selling "Chicago Tap Water", which people would apparently buy by the case because of the superior water treatment in Chicago.
" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

The Berghoff is gone? I haven't been to Chicago in quite a while, but recall having a few nice dinners there. Bummer.

Yes, it is gone. There is a Berghoff Cafe or something downstairs of the former restaurant. It closed about a year ago, I think.
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:03:37 -0400, David Starr

Simply convenience. A bottle of water is much like a bottle of soda, just better for you. In real life it costs Pepsi/Coke about the same amount to deliver too. If you ever bought a soft drink because you were thirsty you bought a bottle of water, or worse, that $4 cup of sugar water at the movie.

Naw, they use FOOD-GRADE hoses! :)

No sh*t. :\\

Improved/reduced taste and convenience.
We finally came up with something to fill the gap in the waste stream created by the diversion of most "yard waste": Plastic bottles. It took a few years, but we figured it out. <whew> <bg>

A nice sig but try this: Place two hyphens and a single space (three characters), all by themselves, at the beginning/start of a new line and everything that follows will NOT be quoted by a COMPLIANT newsreader.
--
:)
JR

Canon EOS 20D
on 7/27/2007 11:45 PM Toller said the following:

It's funny that the bottled water does not have the source of the water on the label. I thought it was law, like the big bottles that are used in office water coolers. On the cap is listed the source of the water, and not just 'public water system', but the actual source, and where I worked, it came from a reservoir in the next state, which probably means tap water.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No, that is why they are trying to make it the law. Some companies have both natural spring and filtered water. Hard to believe that we spend so much money on something as plentiful and easily obtained. I admit our town water tastes terrible, but a carbon filter makes it as good as any I've ever had for $10 every three or four months for a cartridge.

That's only 40 dollars a year. You should really buy bottled water for 100's a year. It's the American way.