OT - snow far

Page 4 of 5
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 20:16:04 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

off the road from November 'till mid April when some good heavy rains finish washing away the last of the salt.
<stuff snipped>

I've seen both happen. When the snow gets over 3' there's not many places to pile it so they pack it down. Black packed snow has been known to last until June in Buffalo.
--
Bobby G.

On 01/27/2016 06:47 PM, Robert Green wrote:

I learned to fly at a little airport at Middlebury VT. There was a pile of what I thought was gravel near the end of the strip. As spring headed towards summer I realized it was slowly melting. That was the longest winter of my life. Being due east of Lake Champlain sucks.
<stuff snipped>

Followup: They didn't come back for a week. That's when I sent a second email. Ironically I said to a neighbor just before I sent the email that "It looks like they plowed me in deliberately." The reply I got was extremely apologetic. He said he sent someone the first day I emailed but didn't personally make sure it was done. He said that they would be sending someone out out that day (they sent two workers, a grader and a pickup with a plow). At this point, all that was left of the snow were the big plow mounds but it was hard-packed glassy heavy schmutz. The hacked at it for 20 minutes with all the gear and it was gone.
Then, after I sent a thank you email I got the oddest reply that said "we would NEVER deliberately plow someone in." I thought that was strange since I never accused him of that and only mentioned it to my neighbor in jest. Turns out the neighbor is friends with the guy who runs the plow truck fleet and who reports directly to the supervisor I was emailing. I assume the back channels were in motion. (-: FWIW, there's still one or two small plow mounds left in the neighborhood even though we have had warm days and rain.
Fortunately, after dislocating a shoulder and banging up my legs falling down the front steps a while back, I make sure I can stay in the house until the snow's all gone. Not an option for yew northern boys, but it works for me. With Amazon and Peapod grocery service, there's not a lot of things that I can't get from them. Besides, when it snows here people go just a little bit crazy. My wife saif that in anticipation of a small storm tonight, the bread and toilet paper aisles in the Giant were cleaned out by noon. People are strange.
--
Bobby G.

On 1/23/2016 3:21 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Official count in my area this am was only a little over a foot.
Certainly more than that on my driveway, like a foot and a half, nearly 2 feet on my walk.
Plow always messes me up as I had it piled in front of drive and had to pull snow thrower back and forth to get through it.
Snow thrower had been run dry last year, I filled it, and it started with push of button.
I'd like to give a shout out to the EPA for those wonderful, mandated gas cans which are spill proof but you end up with gas all over the place when you try to use them.
Might also mention that a friend of my wife says guy that plows her driveway charges $10/inch.
On 1/24/2016 12:29 PM, Frank wrote:

What everyone else does: Unscrew the amputated monstrosity and pour through a funnel.
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 2:58:09 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not everyone. I still have 4 "regular" gas cans. 2 @ 2.5 gal and 2 @ 1 gal.
That's all I need for my equipment.
On 1/24/2016 2:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I should have. My two gallon can blurped and leaked. That was finished and I think I'll throw it out. Five gallon can, which you have to push on rim like others to open would not close and that leaked.
On 1/24/2016 2:07 PM, Frank wrote:

Do a Google search on modifying those abortions. Don't have a link handy but I found (and followed) one for the 5-gallon plastic ones.
Involves drilling a hole on top of handle (opposite spout) and fishing through a tubeless tire valve (easier than it sounds) WITHOUT a valve stem. This serves as a vent - capped loosely with a valve cap so it doesn't bulge out like the stock ones will in the sun/heat.
Spring loaded nozzle is still a PITA but the gas flows MUCH faster this way and it's almost as good as the old flex spouts. Then too once you get a couple gallons out of the 5-gallon container you can pull the spout off and, depending on the equipment you're filling, just pour it in since you don't have the "gurgle splash" effect with the new venting in place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=modify+gasoline+can+

Our Dear Leaders know best. Keep chanting hope and change.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I got a pack of these http://tinyurl.com/j2a4sz4 and they worked as advertised.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 1/24/2016 3:07 PM, Frank wrote:

Remember, it is mandatory to use the new spouts on the new cans, the government knows best. The old spouts were unsafe, and spilled fuel. The new spouts are for our own good, they know better than we do, how to do things.
If you like your gascan, you can keep your gascan. Obama promised, and he always keeps his word. Hope and change, rembember, keep chanting. Hope and change. Hope and change.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You and about a million other people.
The statement that rings truest to me: "They're a good design to keep gasoline in the container.... but terrible when it comes to getting gasoline out of the container."
I have spilled more gasoline in one year with those damn things than I have spilled in a whole lifetime of using the old style cans.
Once I added an air vent, one of these (Amazon.com product link shortened) was working not-too-badly for me. But soon the rubber ring around the cap got pinched and now it dribbles a steady stream when poured from.
I've gone over to NATO Jerry cans with the NATO spouts: http://tinyurl.com/zujg4jb http://tinyurl.com/jh5cq6w
Pouring ergonomics could be better (there's no handle or grab point on the bottom or side) and I am thinking about a more robust spout like this http://tinyurl.com/jek5zub ..... And you have to be careful which brand because there are look-alike rip offs out there that lack the inner coating and don't have the proper welding method.
But, as-is, the ones I have don't spill a drop and they are totally airtight.
I have seen pix of one of them after falling off a vehicle at turnpike speed and it was intact.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 8:54:52 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

There's a quick video at this site explaining how to tell a fake from the real thing:
http://www.jerrycan.com/
Note: This is new to me. I'm just going with your comments, which the video seems to support. I still have enough of the old style plastic containers, so I haven't run into the problems associated with the modern ones.

Per DerbyDad03:

This is probably marginal, but I feel less bad about carrying the NATO style in/on my vehicle.
I envision the plastic ones rupturing and spraying gasoline over everything in a crash. Either the plastic splits or the pressure surge pops the spout/nozzle connection.
OTOH, I hold out some hope, however small, that a NATO would not rupture quite as easily.
Bottom line, though, I try to avoid carrying any sort of gasoline container in my vehicles - but they do have to be filled sooner-or-later, so I do wind up carrying them to/from the nearest gas station.
--
Pete Cresswell

Just think how bad it would be if we didn't have global warming.
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 16:35:29 -0600, Gordon Shumway

get so much snow.
Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

And we would not be having so many more extreme weather events....
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

I was quite surprised most drivers speeding like driving in normal weather. Going out of control and start spinning. They don't seem to let their right foot off the gas pedal. Don't know how to come out of spin. Foot off gas, put the gear in neutral jamming on the brake concentrate on steering. Maybe needs some practices when weather is nice? Slow down folks, slow down. Even fire trucks, ambulances were spinning wheels not going anywhere, amazing. More than extreme weather, I'd say violent weather. My home town Seoul Korea has -24C wind chill unbelievable. Today it is +3C, no wind, sun started going down all quiet and peaceful.
On 1/24/2016 7:13 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Wow, that could make for some interesting viewing. Sounds spooky. I guess with the right music, it could be slapstick comical.