OT - snow far

Page 3 of 5
<stuff snipped>

IIRC, Ontario got the lake effect snow when it blew north instead of south. People who've lived in the South all their lives usually haven't seen what snow looks like in Canada and the upper US. I saw Niagra Falls completely frozen over one year. It's an awesome sight.
It was amazing in Buffalo how many people had snowmobiles and pickups with plow attachments. It was also amazing how quickly emergency personnel got around during storms that just paralyze NYC and DC. Chicago, however, gets enough snow on a regular basis that they also know how to deal with it. I sat on the tarmac during a big storm and watched as they had multiple snow plows in tandem working the runways at pretty impressive speeds.
--
Bobby G.

Per Robert Green:

The one time I got up to Lake-Effect-Snow Country it looked like they did not plow the roads. Instead, they ran construction-type graders over them to keep the snow level and free of ruts. The only blacktop I saw was a rough circle about 50' across where the two main streets of Watertown NY intersected.
Is that SOP up there?
--
Pete Cresswell

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 9:33:54 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

That is not SOP where I live, which is about a mile from the southern shore of one of our Great Lakes. They plow and salt. And salt. And salt.
On 1/27/2016 9:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm east of you but still in road salt country. Vehicles rust out, brake lines and fuel lines rust out. Electrical connections on vehicles go bad. It's really miserable. Even car washing in the spring doesn't much help.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 10:03:49 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wash my cars all winter, whenever we get a minimal break in the weather. Anything above freezing is good enough for me. I have a hot water spigot for the hose and use that for the wash water. I also use the 2 bucket method to keep the wash water clear of salt and other debris.
On rare occasions, when I just can't get to it myself, I will go to a touch-less car wash.
On 1/27/2016 10:25 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm sure the hot spigot makes a huge difference. I've got a cold only electric power washer. I need to use the coin op car washes in the spring, I'm sure the hot water is worth the couple coins it takes to use the drive through company's hot water hose.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 10:46:10 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The main problem with the hot water spigot is that it is at house pressure, while the cold is at street pressure. You can't really use the hot water spigot for rinsing because the pressure is so low. When mixed with cold, you have to keep the cold at a minimum or it overpowers the hot.
The other thing it does is that under certain conditions it causes warm water to come out of the cold taps and toilets in the house. I have a Y-hose connected to the hot and cold spigots. When both spigots are open and the hose itself is closed at the spray handle, there is more pressure on the cold side than the hot. If an inside cold tap is opened, the back pressure pushes hot water into the cold water pipes.
This first time this happened I was really confused. It took a couple of times of the hose being used with hot water and the problem occurring for me to realize that it only happened when both spigots were open. That's when the light came on and I understood what was happening.
On 1/27/2016 11:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Since the cold is higher pressure than the warm, maybe there is cold going into the hot side?
My Dad put in a mixing valve in the darkroom of the old house, and we had cold hot inversions. Until he put in check valves. I'm not all sure why that happened, but I do remember it.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 1:25:52 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Street pressure at cold spigot. House pressure at hot. Open a cold faucet in the house when the hose nozzle is closed. Street pressure from cold side forces hot water back into tank. Cold water mixes with hot in WH and goes out through the WH's incoming cold water pipe. Warm water comes out of cold faucet.

On 1/27/2016 11:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Center posted, as your reply was.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 7:47:29 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not true.
On 1/28/2016 8:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How do you describe it when you post text in the center of an existing post?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 9:06:06 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Pay attention...I've got a few things to say about your recent obsession with what you incorrectly call "center posting".
First: It's called "interleaved" or (more commonly) inline posting, not "center posting".
Stolen without permission from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
"Posting style
When a message is replied to in e-mail, Internet forums, or Usenet, the original can often be included, or "quoted", in a variety of different posting styles.
The main options are interleaved posting (also called inline replying, in which the different parts of the reply follow the relevant parts of the original post), bottom-posting (in which the reply follows the quote) or top-posting (in which the reply precedes the quoted original message)."
So you are suddenly complaining about an accepted posting style as if it was something new and as if there was something wrong with it. I have a theory as to why you have recently started complaining about it, but I'll get to that later in the post.
Second: You said "Center posted, as your reply was."
My reply was not posted smack in the middle of a sentence like yours was and enclosed in brackets.
"Open a cold faucet in the [That's bizarre. I never did understand that.] house when the hose nozzle is closed."
That makes "as your reply was" *not true* since I did not do that. Inline posting, while completely acceptable in the Usenet environment, is not typically done in the manner that you used. Comments relevant to a given section of a post are posted as new lines directly after the section. If a sentence does need to be split for some reason, then it should snipped or split but left as a quoted section following the new inline comment.
Finally: The practice of inline replies have been used in this a.h.r for as long as I have been subscribed, which now exceeds 30 years. However it seems that you have just started to complain about it. Why is that? Is it because I recently pointed out to you that posters from the web-based forums never saw your ridiculous admonishments because the admins have the good sense to filter you? Having lost that practice as a means to show us how smart you think you are, have you now (incorrectly) started to complain about another acceptable practice in the Usenet arena? Just curious...
On 1/28/2016 6:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Interleaved, did you notice, is plural. Parts has a letter "s" on the end, which indicates plural.
In the case of one reply, it's okay to trim the trailing text below the reply.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

ya fergot the sarcasm tag : ) cuz I know you already know the answer
Per Stormin Mormon:

Maybe practice has changed in Watertown in the quite-a-few-years since I saw what I saw.
In light of the vehicle rust considerations, grading instead of plowing/salting might be worth pursuing with the local government.
Certainly, I never saw a stuck vehicle in the two days I was driving around up there.... and I had no problems myself: all-weather tires, no chains, 2WD....
--
Pete Cresswell

On 1/27/2016 1:23 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

A lot has been done in the past several years to make vehicles rust proof. By and large it seems to work so rusting is nowhere nearly as serious a problem. In the past it was just an undercoat and salt would get through. Now everybody part is probably at least one sided galvanized, everything is dipped in a passivising coating and then a rust proof coating is cured on, all before painting. I knew a lot about this 25 years ago and it has to be more advanced today.
On 01/27/2016 11:23 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

My father and I went up to Clarkson University in Potsdam during the Christmas break. We didn't see pavement north of Lake George. After noting the location of the freshmen dorms versus the campus and the intervening snow drifts I took that one of my list of possible colleges.
<stuff snipped>

It's the reason I try not to drive until it's all gone because salt gets up into the underside of the car and hastens all sorts of corrosion.
--
Bobby G.

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 9:14:07 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:

If I tried that I'd be home all winter in some years. It's virtually impossible to not to drive until it's all gone. Maybe when I retire, but then I'll probably want drive even more.