OT - snow far

Page 1 of 5
Northern DE so far about a foot. All is fine here but it is windy and power outages are biggest near the coast where my brother lives.
We are right in the center of biggest accumulation and I expect another foot. It must have been '96 when I bought my snow thrower after a 22 inch snow. I shoveled it then but my back didn't like it.
On 1/23/2016 8:25 AM, Frank wrote:

http://tinypic.com/r/2nsxsid/9
Frank wrote:

Heard it is biggest storm in 90 years.
On 1/23/2016 11:05 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

These nor'easters can get pretty nasty. They sort of sit there and draw moisture off the ocean. My memory goes back over many years but that 22 inch I mentioned was worse in last 10 years. I recall one in March maybe 30 years ago that totally socked us in with roads to my area impassable.
I might get out Monday morning at best. My wife, with her new knee, says she'll be home all week. I'm scheduled for a blood test Monday and she has a check up with orthopedic surgeon Wednesday but both may be postponed.
I remember discovering the limits of my Subaru when I was driving through a field and did not realize the snow had drifted and it lifted the wheels off the ground. Fortunately I had a shovel to lower the car and back out.
On 1/23/2016 12:09 PM, Frank wrote:

Oops, sorry. No church on Sunday.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/23/2016 11:05 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The weather stations are a bunch of drama queens. It keeps you watching so big media can shove more advertising up yer ass.
On 1/23/2016 1:09 PM, Donald T. Rump wrote:

Just watching FOX weather gal, Janice Dean, I half expected her to have an orgasm live on TV.
On 1/23/2016 6:25 AM, Frank wrote:

I recall '78 in Boston... close to 30" in 2 days. Of course, they've got no place to "push" the stuff so everything had to be loaded onto dump trucks with front end loaders and "driven" away.
Was nice to be in the city with *zero* traffic for a while! Thankfully, I'd thought ahead and "stored" the car in the company parking garage. Granted, it wasn't accessible -- but, also didn't get side-swiped by a snow plow on the street!
Have fun, stay safe! Expecting a high of 79 here, today...
Sat, 23 Jan 2016 14:34:59 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I still hear about the great storm of 78.. I was born during it. [g]
--
Hey listen...
On your way back up, bring some popcorn...With salt.
On 1/30/2016 3:56 PM, Diesel wrote:

It was delightfully *quiet* -- save for the periodic "backup alarms" on all the front-end loaders lifting snow into the backs of dump trucks.
[Apparently, you can't just dump the stuff into the Charles as it's not really snow (water) once it hits the ground]
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 8:26:39 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

This was just sent to me by my brother from Great Neck, NY. Western end of Long Island, just outside the border of Queens, NYC.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/20160123_114111_zpsjloyf2li.jpg
I told him that if he lost power he could head upstate and hang out by my fire pit to keep warm. I told we would be inside if he needed anything. ;-)
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/20160123_120305_zpsnf5x4c3o.jpg
On 1/23/2016 12:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.deldot.gov/information/travel_advisory/
All main roads are passable but there is a driving ban except for those needed like plows or medical people.
My problem would be getting to these roads as 100 ft drive needs plowing, then its quarter mile development road, plowed these AM but now just as snow covered, then its a mile of back roads.

No problem with the right equipment:
<
http://construction-and-excavation.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2037.jpg
It's supposed to be an Allis Chalmers W grader. They had around 30 horsepower.
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 1:54:04 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Or he could use one of these and then just continue on down the highway.
http://www.loran-history.info/port_clarence/PC%20-%20Pugh%20%20pc46ea.jpg
This is the truck we used to clear the roads and runway at the Coast Guard station in Port Clarence, AK. If I recall correctly, it had a 12 cylinder diesel engine to run the truck and another 12 cylinder diesel engine to run the blower.
In that picture it is clearing the 1/4 mile long road to the transmitter building where I spent most of my time. Running along side the road, was an above ground tunnel that we used to walk (or bike) to the T-building in bad weather.
http://www.loran-history.info/port_clarence/Tower2.jpg
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:42:50 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

On 1/23/2016 12:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've seen a LOT worse than that. I guess it would be good if you were from the south?
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 6:21:03 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh, I know things have been much worse.
My brother's picture was from this morning so I'm sure it's much, much deeper by now.
My picture is just snow left over from the past week. I'm no where near NYC/Long Island so I'm not getting any snow from this storm.
Per Frank:

23 miles West of Philly, it was about 18" when I started clearing it.
That was 2 hours ago and it's been snowing hard since.
Wind gusting into the low thirties.... 50-60 at the Jersey Shore.
I'm thinking 24" or more for the Philly area.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 1/23/2016 3:21 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I won't even try until tomorrow. Seems to me now thrown off to the side creates a bigger trough for blown or new snow to deposit into. Living in Hockessin, I'm about 40 miles from Philly. Maybe closer to your area.
My brother made out well as it turned more to rain down in Lewes where he lives. Power was out when my sister in law woke up early but my brother slept through it.
I'm not sure what our snowfall numbers are but also know that one place could get several inches more or less just a few miles away. They did say on one of the Philly TV stations that they are getting nearly as much snow from this one snow as they did all last winter.
Frank
On 1/23/2016 6:19 PM, Frank wrote:

Best wishes, you two guys. And your familys and neighbors. I've been in, and stayed home during, wicked winter storms. I'm quite concerned. Hope your power stays on, and you are safe. Warm, well fed, and doing well.