OT Smoking in bed


After reading some of the heater thread it reminded me of when I was a kid. About 40 years ago now.
Across the street where we lived was a group of small houses that were occupied mostly by the elderly.
At least once or twice a year one of the houses would burn. Smoking in bed was sometimes the cause.
It is a good thing now that everything is made out of flame resistant material or I would be on that list. I have a couple of burn holes in my sheets.
I know longer smoke so going to sleep with a cigarette is no longer a problem.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

My late mom was visiting a friend in a new elders' home that had bachelor suites with a small kitchenette. It looked so attractive and mom was interested in getting a room there eventually. After about two months this friend said she couldn't take it anymore and had to leave. It was because two to three times a week the fire alarm would go off and the rules required everyone to evacuate the building, a 12 storey tower block. Fire regulations meant they had to use the stairs, no lifts. Then they had to wait out in the cold until the fire truck crew gave the all clear. Her heart couldn't take that stress. Those kitchenettes were finally removed and no cooking was allowed in the suites. There was one too many meeals cooking on the range that had been forgotten.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.