OT -- slow post office

Page 3 of 4
On 11/22/2013 12:31 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:

When I joke with mail men or retired mail men about taking all the fliers they deliver and just dumping them in the creek and not delivering to me, they go crazy, as junk mail is the main source of their income.
On 11/22/2013 8:18 AM, Frank wrote:

I've heard that the junk mail subsidizes the first class. Junk mail is presorted, and labelled, and scan barred, and so on. It slides through the system, where hand written first class is more work.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

It's a matter of who does the accounting. It can be shown either way. If you assume that first-class has to be delivered anyway, junk mail more than pays its way. If you do the opposite, not so much. Reality is somewhere in there. Junk mail will be paying more and more of the bill because first class volume is dropping like a rock. I think we mail one bill out a month now (can't figure out how to pay it online) and send a few dozen (birthday/Christmas) cards a year.

Taxes 2x a year, water bill 4x a year Used to be the oil bill but they just went to on line payment. In the past year, I think I wrote two other checks, one for a washing machine, the other a gift. I'd not want to be int he check printing business either. Went from about 10 to 12 a month to about 10 a year.

Not so. The "standard" mail class, as advertsing mail is now called, is in effect heavily subsidized and does not pay its own way. The major mailers, unlike residential customers, pay lobbyists and make campaign contributions to congressmen and senators with oversight of Postal matters. Their interests are put above those of the general public when it comes to delivery rates. And the biggest reason that service from USPS has declined in recent times is the congressionally imposed mandate on the postal service to essentially transfer $5.5 billion from their income each year to the federal treasury, artificially lowering the deficit at the expense of postal customers.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
wrote in message

Now I expect you to back up your statement with fact. Name a cheaper service. Or, are you one who just blurts out anything, without thinking?

Email.

Email may be cheaper for the senders, but that's because a significant portion of the distribution costs are paid by the network providers and the recipients. The USPS doesn't charge a recurring fee to send and receive unlimited amounts of mail, so it's not a good analogy.
On 11/25/2013 3:16 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Good point, Moe. With stamps, I only have to inventory a 45¢ stamp. With email, I have to maintain a $45 per month infrastructure whether I use it or not. .

Yet you post here more than 100x per month alone so your email is free; point dulled.

Posting on newsgroups is not email. The original comment was a generality, nothing to do with my personal use. Not everyone would benefit having an email account as a money saver compared to the USPS.

So you not use your Internet connection for both?

That makes no sense.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

One step up, there is Skype.

Oh, good grief. It's cheaper for EVERYONE. I certainly don't spend 2 x $.45 x Num_Emails for my entire Internet account and I use it for many applications other than email.
On 11-22-2013, 18:52, George wrote:

You quoted the fact at this beginning of your post.
Care to offer evidence to the contrary?
--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable. We need to learn that “inevitable" is
Wes Groleau;3152880 Wrote: >

Here in Canada, postage stamps for mailing letters within Canada no longer have a fixed price.
That's because the Post Office would raise the price of a stamp every few years by a few cents, and millions of Canadians would end up having to buy one, two or three cents stamps, and it cost more to print those small denomination stamps than they were worth.
So, now you buy a booklet of 10 or 20 stamps for about $5 or $10, and the stamps don't have any denomination printed on them and are good forever. When the Post Office wants to raise the price of postage, they simply charge more for those booklets of stamps.
I find that's a better system. You can buy stamps when you need them, and use them at any time without concern that the price of postage has gone up and your letter is going to be returned to you because you were short 2 cents on the postage.
--
nestork

The "Forever Stamp" system has been used in the US since 2007. The stamps actually say Forever on them.
I hate using them because I know the price will go up. I feel like I am throwing away money if I use them before the price increases. ;-)
In article

Had a friend who bought 100 rolls two increases ago. He plans on funding his retirement by holding on to them. So far it hasn't been a terrible return on investment (grin).
--
“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.”

Yes, it does seem that way. I knew when I saw those stamps that the Post Office was likely doomed. It's the same as when a business you've never heard of offers a lifetime guarantee on something. They know that they're planning the business to have a very short lifetime.
As for being slow, I find it just the opposite. Stuff I buy from Amazon often shows up the next day delivered by USPS. I am on the eight disk program with Netflix and they always arrive on time - haven't lost a single disk in the last three years and it was three years before that.
I've always had a soft spot for the USPS since readings David Brin's sci-fi epic, "The Postman" about a post-apocalyptic world where one man decides, after finding a dead mailman and a sack of undelivered mail to begin mail delivery again. The Founding Fathers were quite prescient in realizing how important a public postal service is in a free nation.
--
Bobby G.

On 11/21/2013 07:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yah Stormy, I feel your pain. I've been waiting 14 days for a FedEx Smartpost shipment. What a bunch of clowns!