OT - Slightly - Eyeglass frame problem

The metal support for one of the nose pieces broke off my eyeglass frame. Frame is metal. Any ideas other than buying new frames ($$$)?

Lou

Reply to
LouB

I've used epoxy to put them back together, but in my sxperience, it doesn't last more than a couple weeks worth of use. It is suitable however for making them into a backup pair that you keep in the car for emergency use, etc.

A jeweler may be able to weld it back together, but then the paint or finish is going to shot in that area, which presents a new problem.

Reply to
trader4

I brazed one of those with a microflame torch

once--discolored the frame though. How well that's going to work depends on the frame--brazing steel is pretty easy, brazing titanium I suspect needs more than a microtorch.

You could try epoxy.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Have you given any thought to JB Weld?

It's pretty tough stuff, in my opinion and may do well for you.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

Thanks

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Have you Googled for

eyeglass frame repair weld

yet ??

There are places: you can send frames in for repair, places that will send you a repair kit, sites with how-to advice

Reply to
Reed

White adhesive tape? :-)

Reply to
PanHandler

Depends on what the frames are made of. Many are titanium and cannot be field repaired. If you can get all the numbers off the frames, you may be able to buy an exact replacemnet frame online for very little money. Frames usually have the manufacturer, and/or model number or name on the inside of the earpiece. Inside the bridge will usually be the numbers indicating the size of the frame in millimeters. It will usually be three numbers that correspond to the width of the lens at the widest point, the length of the bridge between the lenses, and the height of the lens area. If only two numbers it's the lens width and bridge width. Just googling on the frame model number will usually get you several websites that have your frame.

Reply to
salty

Eyeglass frames are *incredibly* marked up. Buy the same thing online at a fraction of your local optician's price.

Reply to
dadiOH

THank You!!

I never dreamed there would be such businesses, and there are.!!!

Results 1 - 10 of about 88,100 English pages for eyeglass frame repair weld found via

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Yellow Pages- look for jewelers/silversmiths that advertise in-house custom work. (IOW, not at a mall.) The work you want is very much like fixing an old piece of jewelry. No big deal with the right tools, supplies, and experience, but not really cost-effective for a one-time DIY project.

But discuss ballpark cost figures with them first- with entry-level glasses from a McEyedoctor being only 50-60 bucks, I'd be inclined to put this in the 'life is too damn short' category, and just replace them.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

On Sat 13 Dec 2008 07:02:40a, LouB told us...

Break the other one off? Some frames have no nose pieces other than the bridge resting on the nose.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Most jewlers will not work on eyeglasses, as they are not licensed opticians.

No, really. I tried several of them once, and they all told me they couldn't do it for that reason.

Reply to
salty

I bought one of those torches at Radio Shack many years ago. I don't know if RS still sells the things though. I remember watching a spy TV show where the spy cut through a steel door with one of the things and it was quite some time before I could stop laughing.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm shocked, shocked that no one has suggested Billy Mays' Mighty Putty yet.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia