OT: Sirius Radio

You can get a discount from Sirius if you just wait them out.
My new car came with a six-month free trial of the Sirius radio system. Nea r the end of that period, they mailed me information about subscribing; it came to about $15 per month for a one-year subscription, $180. I didn't thi nk it was worth that much so I let the subscription lapse.
After a couple of weeks, I got another letter offering me half off, a full year for $89, about $7.50 per month. That seemed reasonable so I signed up.
Paul
On 2/22/2014 2:46 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

If you've only one, wait a while longer and they'll get it down even more or might negotiate a deal if want to argue with 'em...
I've told 'em when they put _all_ vehicles owned/equipped on for a flat rate of $5/mo or less, _then_ I'll at least consider it. Until then I'll do w/o as it really isn't worth a nickel to me...

I agree. I don't spend much time driving anymore. That would be the only time I would use it.
On 02/22/2014 04:32 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I was on the road for 38 years and really depended on radio. As the stations got worse and worse I was thinking of getting Sirius but then retired.
I miss those old days when there were so many great radio stations.
On 2/22/2014 5:32 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I drive quite a bit at least 1 1/2 hours a day and a couple of trips a year. I thought it would be silly to pay to listen, but now can't stand commercial radio. Nice to be able to take a few hundred mile trip and not have to hunt for a good station every hour..
On 2/22/2014 6:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

MP3
On 2/22/2014 2:46 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

> about subscribing; it came to about $15 per month for a one-year > subscription, $180. I didn't think it was worth that much so I > let the subscription lapse.

> reasonable so I signed up.

You do realize that your deal undoubtedly came with an automatic renewal at their regular price don't you?
They must be notified BEFORE your current less expensive year runs out and they are betting that you forget and don't do it. If you do forget then you have a new one year contract at their regular price!
I have had three vehicles with their system and never renewed any of them. On the my new KIA Cadenza I would renew ONLY the traffic portion but they will not do it without an automatic renewal so I told them to forget it.
Don
IGot2P wrote:

Not true... my wife has been using Sirius/XM since 2006. Our car came with the first year free. She let it expire, and since then has paid only 5 bucks a month.
1) it expires 2) within a week or two they call to get her back 3) she refuses to pay full price 4) they offer her 6 months for $30
As a sidenote - it seems that one 6-month period was $6 per month. We have NEVER been held to a contract beyond what was mentioned above.
On 2/23/2014 3:21 AM, 83LowRider wrote:

That is really interesting especially compared to what the original poster just said below and what Sirius/XM told me via phone and email.
Does your wife CURRENTLY have that same deal or was this sometime in the past?
IGot2P wrote:

We still currently have it. It may well be that she has to call and cancel after her 6 month agreements, but regardless, she does 6 months, ends it, and they ALWAYS call back. We have never paid more than 6 bucks a month for service. And won't, as most of the channels now have commercials...
On Saturday, February 22, 2014 11:09:09 PM UTC-5, IGot2P wrote:

Good point, Don, always something to watch for with these deals. I checked for that before signing up and they do have an auto-renew clause. They noti fy me 30 days before expiration and I have to call them to cancel. I alread y have it on my calendar for cancellation next February. I plan to retire i n 2015 but I have an hour commute to work twice a day until then. The CD pl ayer, the local fine arts station, and the three Sirius channels I listen t o should be enough to keep me entertained for the duration, otherwise the s ound of my own wheels may drive me crazy.
Paul