OT: Show of Hands

Maybe it's the "control, alt, delete" of govt to be executed by a free people? Or maybe it's the preventive measure that obviates the need?

Reply to
DD_BobK

Interesting that they didn't interview those that didn't make it past their encounter with armed victims. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Only those with govt background inspections, expensively approved annual licenses, and a lot of current observation. ANY government opinionated personal error results in loss of license & approval. In other words it's a very limited number of people owning full auto weapons of any type.

Reply to
Red

Not true at all. I paid $200, waited about 3 1/2 months for the government to check me out, picked up my machine gun and never heard from them again. There is no annual anything. There are about a quarter million class III weapons owners out there in the civilian registry.

Reply to
gfretwell

And we recently had a local who was arrested with a machine gun and an expired license. Arresting personell were federal govt with local sheriff deputies with them.

Reply to
Red

So you are saying for example if you were in a movie theater or restaurant and someone was behaving like a juvenile and annoying everyone it would be your fault?

Reply to
George

Was he shooting people with it or were they just harassing him?

Reply to
krw

Not shooting people but other than a expired license no other details were published. I asked a deputy why and only got a shrug of shoulders.

Reply to
Red

What license? The BATF form 4 is good until you transfer it again?

Reply to
gfretwell

IOW, he was being harassed.

Reply to
krw

UK has much higher rates of violent crime then the us. They do have less homicides with guns. Which are you more likely to be a victim of? A violent crime rate of 500 per 100,000 compared to a homicide rate of 5 per hundred thousand. You chances of being a victim of a violent crime are 100 times greater then of being shot and killed. How many of you live in fear of being the victim of a violent crime? Whatever your level of fear of that is, you can reduce it by a factor of 100 when it comes to getting shot. And realistically, unless you live in the criminal parts of town, or regularly are doing drug deals or fencing hot merchandise, your chances of getting shot are almost infinitesimally small. Yet the media can whip up enough hysteria about it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

To me the taking away of the so-called assault weapons to theoretically prevent a couple shootings is a non starter. Only 3% of all homicides are done with a rifle. so-called assault weapons are a subset of that 3%. Aside from the foolishness of thinking getting rid of less then 1.5% of teh weapons used to kill is going to make any difference, An assault weapons ban is completely pointless since essentially the same weapon is available as a hunting rifle.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I don't disagree with your statement since I think in practice that's what the founders would have expected the most likely scenario to be. However, there is nothing in the second amendment that limits it to defensive use of arms against the gvt. Up until the civil war it was generally held that states had a right to secede from the Union. When the South did, the North took up arms against the south to force them back into the union. Seems kind of ironic inasmuch as the South was doing the same thing the US did in regard to England.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Good grief. There is nothing in the second amendment that limits the use of guns AT ALL. The reason given for the second was the defense of self. including from and out of control government.

There was one big difference.

Reply to
krw

Per Ashton Crusher:

When I was attending a family reunion in the UK I was struck by my cousin's need to lock and chain a rather cheap bicycle even though it was stored in his locked garden shed.

When we used to visit the in-laws in Germany (small town close to Limburg)I was struck by the prevalence of iron bars and gratings over windows. Certainly not all windows.... but where we live in the Philadelphia PA suburbs, such things are unknown.

Bottom line, I got the impression that residential theft was much more prevalent in the UK and Germany.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

???

Reply to
Han

...and that has relevance exactly how??

Reply to
krw

You mean like Han?

Reply to
krw

Statistics are hard to keep track of but one I saw said 60+% of home invasions in the UK occur with people home but only about 15% of them occur with people home in the US. Might be because the criminals have no fear of being shot in the UK but they are worried about it in the US.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Been away from this group for a while. Now I know why.

There are opinions that the Alien_and_Sedition_Acts nullified the portions of the second amendment that are often interpreted as allowing armed resistance to the US government.

Reply to
Han