OT: Show of Hands

Page 2 of 4
Per mike:

I think that's kind of where I am right now.
Huge borders with Canada and Mexico... and, as one person observed, "Guns are not biodegradable".
"Kind of.." because the idea of reducing the rate of fire of the occasional nut job does have it's appeal. Whether it's worth it and whether there is a practical way to do it are two whole other discussions.
--
Pete Cresswell

Look at the track recrd. The parts of the nation with strict gun control have high crime. Chicken or egg? Who cares? The result is the same.
"Kind of.." because the idea of reducing the rate of fire of the occasional nut job does have it's appeal. Whether it's worth it and whether there is a practical way to do it are two whole other discussions.
--
Pete Cresswell

Again, why should I be saddled with less capacity or reduced rate of fire ?? That's just giving up advantage

To me the taking away of the so-called assault weapons to theoretically prevent a couple shootings is a non starter. Only 3% of all homicides are done with a rifle. so-called assault weapons are a subset of that 3%. Aside from the foolishness of thinking getting rid of less then 1.5% of teh weapons used to kill is going to make any difference, An assault weapons ban is completely pointless since essentially the same weapon is available as a hunting rifle.

Which effectively means that you will NEVER see a ban on civilians owning guns.

Indeed.
LOL
4ax.com:

Whether it's a hardship or not is irrelevant. The burden of proof should be on those who hope to control crime by placing restrictions on law-abiding citizens.
On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 21:35:59 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

I would add that before even discussing it something needs to be done in regard to the second amendment. Otherwise there's no point to the discussion.
I'd like to see it (2nd) strictly enforced. ".....shall not be infringed. "
I would add that before even discussing it something needs to be done in regard to the second amendment. Otherwise there's no point to the discussion.

That's certainly a reasonable approach if it weren't for one thing, the second amendment doesn't permit infringing. Lots of people get libeled and slandered every year. Would you feel it appropriate to discuss how we can institute a system of licensing and regulation of peoples speech to make sure that doesn't continue to happen. You may think it's a silly suggestion but in the UK, where they have no constitution at all, they have prior censorship of the media by the gvt and they have penalties for printing/reporting certain things, even if those things are true.
On 1/1/2013 4:11 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

If Biden had his way originally on the assault weapon ban he would have banned my Remington 1100 semi-automatic shotgun which I have owned for over 40 years and have harvested a variety of game as well as thousands of clay pigeons.

I'll give you one good reason. I prefer to be at least as well armed as a intruder may be.
If you don't want to have a gun that is your choice.

1) Since it's not a "hardship" issue. what would be the point ?? 2) Who would you call a "panel of experts" 3) Do you even know how many so-called "assault weapons" are ACTUALLY used in crimes ?? If you did, you would not even be asking this

Who would be "people whoknow" ??

There is NO "ban on civilians owning fully-automatic weapons" Civilians CAN and DO own machine guns
maybe you should stop 1) guessing while you are ignorant 2) educate yourself instead of showing off your ignorance
Another benefit is that once you have educated yourself, you would not have to rely on a "panel of experts" to tell you what you should think, like some child or incompetent adult. You will be able to make up your own mind, like an adult should.

annual licenses, and a lot of current observation. ANY government opinionated personal error results in loss of license & approval. In other words it's a very limited number of people owning full auto weapons of any type.

Not true at all. I paid $200, waited about 3 1/2 months for the government to check me out, picked up my machine gun and never heard from them again. There is no annual anything. There are about a quarter million class III weapons owners out there in the civilian registry.
On Jan 2, 9:42pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And we recently had a local who was arrested with a machine gun and an expired license. Arresting personell were federal govt with local sheriff deputies with them.

Was he shooting people with it or were they just harassing him?
On Jan 3, 11:56am, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

were published. I asked a deputy why and only got a shrug of shoulders.

IOW, he was being harassed.

What license? The BATF form 4 is good until you transfer it again?
I changed my mind. When I was a kid, I thought gun control and pistol permits were a good idea. As I grew into an adult, I change my mind.
Has anyone changed their minds on the gun control issue? I have not, I'm still a supporter of the constitution and second amendment.