OT Shoulder belt doesn't retract

Page 1 of 2
I have a Toyota front shoulder belt that won't come out any farther and makes no effort to retract. Even with tugging, of course.
What are the odds that something's stuck or that something repairable is broken and I can fix it, versus that it's shot?
If it's shot, it seems I'd be more likely to get one that fits just right and whose color matches just right if I guy one from a junkyard, similar car, than a new aftermarket one. What do you think?

Yes, not that I can see. And I think the belt is entirely out. It won't budge when I pull and it certainly is long enough. Long enough that it's like there's no belt at all.
It's going to be 95 today in Baltimore and 97, 95, 99, 93, 96 and 94 in the days to follow, though I could have started at 6AM when it's 77. But by 10 it's 87.
On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 8:01:32 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

If this is the driver's belt...can you use the passenger-side belt for the time-being to make it legal?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Both front seat belts have to work (at least here in Texas) to be legal for inspection purposes.
--
RonNNN

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:34:53 PM UTC-5, RonNNN wrote:

...hence, "time-being"!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Legal is legal, I don't believe there is a "time-being" clause in the law. However, I got your point as far as being seen driving without being buckled up.
--
RonNNN

you do know that there is a little weight inside the retractor, that causes the belt to lock when the car accelerates or decelerates.
That weight may be stuck.
Open the retractor and take a look.
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:14:18 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Okay.
But no one wants to give me odds that it can be fixed?? I'm thinking less than 10% but I don't want to order a new belt without checking. I want to know the odds so I can bet with my next-door neighbor.
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 3:54:18 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

The odds are π².
That will get you your less than 10%.
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 05:32:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Great. That's a number I can work with. I'm going to sucker my neighbor into betting a lot of money. He says I can do it, and I'll prove it to him that I can't.

You might fix it before you knew what you were doing!
Well, actually I might fix it myself, because today I noticed that, despite what I said, the belt is folded. And I coudl even pull it out 8 more inches. My bad.
In my defence, I thought because it was so far out that I coudl weigh I'll bet 400 pounds and still fit, that it couldn't come out any farther, and that twisting couldnt' be the problem then if it was all the way unwound.
Even doubled I'm sure it gets through the slot in the side of the passenger compartment fairlly easily, so there must be another smaller slot farther in. I'll find it but I'll have to get up at dawn. Every day is to be 92 or higher this week.

Well, it's extended, not retracted, so I can still put it on. It just won't do any good.
It will look fine unless the cop is up by the car looking at my lap.
I'm trying to move on this but it's been over 90 degrees every day. Tonight I found the shop manuals so I'm going to read what it takes to get the trim off and try to fix the belt. If I have to replace the belt, I'd need to take the trim off for that too.
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 10:16:51 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

...and unless it is still across your shoulder while you are lying face down on the hood covered in blood and broken glass.
Micky wrote:

In the 90's was told it was a "major-bigdeal" to replace the shoulder belt apparatus. When pulled over once, police officer accepted the fact that is was broken and was pleased that I was wearing the seat belt. YMMV.

In maryland they don't inspect the car until it's sold again, even if that takes 20 years! I think I could use the passenger-side belt if I sat on the passenger side.
OTOH, Pa. used to inspect cars twice a year, every year, but after decades they lowered it to once a year.
On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 2:34:23 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

So, the cheap creep that you are wouldn't take the parts/belt from the passenger front to use on the driver's side? How typical...
On 7/23/2016 3:34 AM, Micky wrote:

That used to be the biggest government sanctioned theft of motorists ever invented. Scams varied from shop to shop.
We had three cars in the family and I took each one to a particular shop. They all passed, even my convertible with fogged plastic window, but coincidentally, they all needed a headlight adjustment. That was a good shop to go to.
Some just checked lights since that was visible if the state was watching. Others would try to get work like ball joints, tie rod ends and the like, needed or not.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

I wouldn't go there. Maybe you need some work done that can't be diagnosed without it being on a lift. I want an honest place, autos are not perfect, neither are the people that work on them. Crooks are crooks.
--
Tekkie

On 7/23/2016 4:00 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Problem was finding an honest place. Inspection twice a year is a rip off to begin with. States with and without mandatory inspection have little difference in defects or road problems. The cars that truly needed a lot of work were often the same ones with black market illegal stickers. Some cars would fail if you or I took it but a big busted woman with a low cut blouse would pass. That was verified by a friend that learned to send his wife.
Some states have eliminated the mandatory inspections.

For a few years, I had a shop like that.

"Needed" is just a concept, but money is something you can get things with.