OT Should I tell the police?

Page 2 of 7
On 10/15/2014 1:06 AM, micky wrote:

I don't see a problem with telling police where it is; I'd also write down the VIN. Plates could be stolen and that owner not aware? Causing problems for owner? I think they already have problems, ie leaving a car with a flat. Back in my younger days, our decrepit Simca was towed....finally....'cause we couldn't drive it and couldn't afford to fix it. Barely could afford food, and that was one student and one employed newlyweds :o)
On 10/15/2014 1:06 AM, micky wrote:

I can't think of a reason not to tell them. I can think of reasons that people would call the police looking for information to do harm though, so they are being properly cautious.

Wow! Definite plus 1. If it's been used in a crime then Micky's contaminated the crime scene. There are so MANY reasons to let the cops do their job and so FEW to pump up the tire or touch the car in any way. If something happened to the owner, delaying contact with police could have really bad results. FWIW, by asking to run the plate but refusing to say where it was you've now placed yourself among the people cops think are suspicious. I'll bet they have your caller ID and have already started looking around. For you. (-:
--
Bobby G.

Perhaps the HOA should contact the cops?

reading all the responses, I will toss in mine:
1. try again with the police. Maybe go to the station with the license plate written down. I have had it go both ways "we can't tell you - where is the car?" and a smirk, eyes rolling directed at the "smarty pants citizen", run the plate, and then "yes, it is stolen - where is it?". If they won't just run it, tell them where it is and let them investigate.
2. If you can, see if the police will at least tell you if the registered address is in your HOA, so you can try to locate the owner and prevent it being towed by the HOA. I have had a cop in a cruiser tell me the registered address so I could walk across the street and tell them to move their car or it will be towed. Of course, this was right there, and the cop told me the address once he realized what the deal was - I was dong this guy a favor.
3. Does your HOA not keep a list of license numbers and HOA owners? Many do. Do any neighbors know who the car belongs to? Are their assigned parking spaces?
4. If you can determine the car is not stolen, belongs to an HOA owner, and you can locate him (or the police can do a welfare check), and you realize he is simply out of town, tell the HOA to give the guy and his car a break. If they seem belligerent as most HOAs are, keep filling up the tire, or forget about it - your choice.
I concur with the thoughts to let the police do their job. The car could be stolen, or it could belong to a lady who has fallen and can't get up. Try to eliminate these types of possibilities first.
On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:09:58 AM UTC-4, Pico Rico wrote:

Note that none of the above is consistent with letting the police do their job. Having folks waste police time, trying to get them to run license plates, when they refuse to do it, isn't productive. Police won't just run plates for you. I think they are probably rightly concerned that they might be running the plate for a stalker, pissed of husband, etc up to no good. If I was a cop, I'd wonder what the hell is wrong with someone that is so obsessed with a car that they want to come over and talk to me about it, badger me, when I offered to take care of the mystery car if they just tell me where it is. I'd might start to run a check on them.

Why not? Getting shot is also a possibility
Call the cops, let them handle it or just let it go. Around here, I would guess it was just a snow bird who will be here sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 06:42:51 -0400, "BurfordTJustice"

If it is worth $25 to you

Except that most states have data privacy laws that restrict the amount of information that is considered public, which usually renders the information available next to useless for the average snoop. Also, it's not unusual to restrict individual access to only that individual's information; if you want someone else's, you need their written consent.

I am not sure about all HOAs but the rules at the one my wife runs is renters register their cars. Owners do not have to. Usually there will be someone who knows who the car belongs to anyway. That is where the HOA management simply needs to know someone in the gossip network. If they have a country club, I would start with the wait staff. They hear everything and know who to ask if they haven't heard.
There might be a chance that the car's owner just does not get out much and they don't even know they have a bad tire because Micky keeps it aired up for them
It might just be a little old lady who owes him a big batch of cookies. ;-)

I doubt these data mining companies really care about the law and some are actually located offshore.

I doubt these data mining companies really care about the law and some are actually located offshore.
--
Hey, if the state puts the information on line....oh well.

and how careful are they in verifying a person's authorization? I am pretty sure at least one has been forged in the past.

I was referring to this type of authorization/consent:
"Also, it's not unusual to restrict individual access to only that individual's information; if you want someone else's, you need their written consent."
On 10/15/2014 12:47 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

It has most certainly happened. For instance, the birther lunatics have openly boasted about forging credentials in order to unlawfully access the President's Selective Service record. They've also gained access to commercial databases to get his SSN and publicized that. In my state, there's a huge pile of lawsuits pending due to persons working in law enforcement and other parts of the government who habitually snooped the records of many private individuals. It's one thing to have a cop run your plate on a traffic stop. It's another thing to find out that the cops were routinely looking up information on any pretty girl they encountered, as well as on their neighbors, and their exes' significant others, etc. People found this out by filing requests to see who'd accessed their data. One woman discovered that her records had been accessed by dozens of cops hundreds of time. It turned out that one of the cops decided she was hot, and spread the word, so all of his buddies looked her up, too.
alt.home.repair:

In my town it's illegal to leave your car parked on the street overnight. The police don't rigorously enforce the law, but I was ticketed once many years ago.
I would consider a car that has been sitting on a public street in the same place with flat tires for 3 weeks to probably be abandoned. If I saw such a car in my neighborhood I would definitely consider calling the police. Especially if it's near my property. I'd probably ask some of the neighbors if they knew anything about it first.
On 10/15/2014 12:58 PM, Nil wrote:

Same here. So when a car was left overnight across the street from my house, my neighbors called the cops. The cops blew them off. So the hubby goes to check out the car. He discovered it was unlocked and had camera and computer gear on the front seat. He called the cops again, thinking it must have been stolen, only to be blown off again. He was *furious* - and then he got a call from the chief of police. It was a bait car. They were trying to catch a thief, but all the attention he was paying to the car was not helping. The chief asked him to knock it off and keep quiet about it. Naturally, he spread the word, and naturally, no thief touched the car. After a week, the cops showed up and towed it away.
On 10/15/2014 4:13 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Good. I don't like the idea of using bait cars, bikes, etc. It may catch a thief, but it may tempt an otherwise non=thief to make a dumb decision. If I was a judge, I'd toss most of those cases.
On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:15:26 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Fortunately you're not a judge, those cases have withstood legal challenges and they almost always result in a conviction. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a bait car, where they leave a rigged car in a high car theft area, leave it unlocked, keys in it. I'm amazed you'd think that's tempting a non-thief. If you go into a car you don't own and drive away, you are a thief, period. If they didn't take the bait car, it would be someone else's car and the perps would likely never be caught.
On 10/16/2014 7:41 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You are assuming they would take another car. I'm sure some would, but if you leave a piece of candy on the table, would your 6 year old just ignore it?
Maybe I'd go after a repeat offender, but I'd not jail a first offender.