OT Short of news in the UK

Yes, that is why I said Taster, not stun gun. Taser works for something like 15 feet.

You suspect wrong. They should be used carefully though.

If Tased, he won't be doing that.

Or to shoot you first.

USUALLY works. if you don't miss,if the guy isn't wearing thick clothes,on PCP,etc. but at 15 feet,you don't meet self-defense,if the other guy is unarmed.

I'd say Zimmerman used his carefully. He held off until he was on his back in a very bad position,and then only fired ONE shot.

If tasing WORKS. it doesn't all the time.In that case,it would be preemptive "self-defense",and much harder to explain. Plus,Zimmerman was surprise attacked. he was too big for such a skinny kid to come at head-on,plus Z had his gun.

Now you're getting stupid. it's a CONCEALED gun,not legal to bring it out before self-defense is necessary. that is "brandishing",and it will get your permit revoked. It's also grounds for a person to shoot YOU and lawfully claim self- defense.
you must not have a carry permit,you don't know the laws.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 3/25/2012 10:51 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

You say that w/o knowing what actually happened.

gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote in

Police report said ONE shot,the officer that took custody of and cleared the weapon found the magazine full. that leaves the round in the chamber. Plus,I imagine police found a single ejected casing,and there was only one gunshot wound to Trayvon,according to the police report.
witness testimony had Trayvon on top of Zimmerman,who was yelling for help,and then the witness heard the gunshot while dialing 911.
would Trayvon have attacked a guy who had a gun -in his hand-? Or would he have backed away,or held up his hands?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Everyone carrying a gun has a permit? Knows or cares about the law? Wow, the newspaper has been getting it wrong for decades now.

Huh? How is the relevant to anything?

Again the point ZOOMED way over your head. If you attack someone,there's a chance they may have a gun,and you could get shot.(or a knife,stun gun,etc,and the weapon used on you) If you don't attack anyone,you don't get harmed as a result. Or,put another way,your right to swing your fist ends where my right to not be struck begins. In a state that allows lawful concealed carry,and also has a "Stand your Ground law,the chances are higher.
with concealed carry,you DON'T KNOW who's carrying a gun,and thus would not have any reason to shoot first,because gunshots draw attention that an attacker doesn't want.
also,it's well established that concealed carry permit holders are not any threat to other lawful citizens. They are not the ones to fear,unless you're attacking or threatening them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I don't see pre-judging in any of the above. The pre-judging is coming from the media and the usual civil rights activists who have judged the whole thing without all the facts and are demanding that Zimmerman be arrested.

Umm, it seems very unlikely that if Zimmerman had a cattle prod with him that it would not have been reported by now. And even if he called him names, if the eyewitness account is credible and Zimmerman's head shows the broken nose, stitches, etc, I think there is plenty of reasonable doubt. Just like you can't shoot someone for no reason, you also can't be on top of someone pummeling them when they are down on the ground.

He didn't necessarily need anything. And to do what he did, essentially play cop and engage Martin when he didn['t have to is pretty dumb. But it doesn't have any bearing on who the aggressor was and if the shooting was justified.
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 08:36:29 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

O do, in this comment fro above: (I don't know why,maybe aggression?)

Well, it is one of the very common ways to get suspended, isn't it? And while the media is throwing out all kinds of crap that is highly prejudicial and biased against Zimmerman, why hasn't someone by now found out what he was suspended for? Can't be hard, just go ask some of the high school kids.
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:04:30 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

According to Kypriss, "He was suspended because he was late too many times." His father said the suspension was because he was in an unauthorized area on school property, but he declined to offer more details.[24] Trayvon Martin had no criminal record.[26] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

according to the Orlando Sentinel this morning,the school will not reveal why Martin was suspended,their policy. also,by state law,school kids CANNOT be suspended for tardiness or truancy.
If he was in an "unauthorized area" what was he doing there? that indicates some sort of bad behavior. but a WEEK's SUSPENSION for that? seems odd. that's usually detention for a day or two,for that level of offense.
suspension is usually for severe offenses. I don't know,I was a good student,never in trouble. I also date from an earlier age!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

He was suspended for being chronically late to school (that is published).
As a side note that is an ironic punishment, show up late often enough and you don't have to go at all ;-)
No wonder we are #23 in the world in education.
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:04:30 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Aggression is one way. In my case, it was smoking in the schoolyard. Would that affect your feeling of the results in this case? I'm sure his entire life will come out before long.

Smoking in the school yard? no But if it were for a pattern of aggresive behavior, starting fights, then possibly yes

YOU were suspended from school for a week? that is a pretty stiff penalty. detention was the usualy punishment.

I'm NOT so sure about that. Martin's life story SHOULD have come out by now. Zimmerman's has already.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Easy; Martin told his girlfriend he was being followed. (around 7PM) a polite kid would have asked the follower why,and if questioned about his activities,told the guy he was visiting his dad,etc... and then everybody would have gone on their way. a polite or smart kid would have called 911 himself(and before approaching the unknown guy). a smart kid would NOT approach the unknown guy who was following him if he had reason to fear him.
an aggressive kid would be "in your face","what business is it of your's?",or even begin pushing or punching. Since we have reports of Zimmerman in the act of returning to his vehicle(from NBC news),Martin had to attack Zimmerman. Plus,since Zimmerman is a short but hefty guy,a sneak attack is necessary for a tall but slight young man to drop him.
We DO know Martin was suspended from school for a week(but not why,the school will not reveal that),we know he's a school athlete,and athletics these days teaches aggression. We also know he comes from a broken home,and no father at home(he lives with his mom in Miami-Dade area. that IS a good indicator of trouble.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 3/25/2012 6:33 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

And if Martin hadn't racially profiled him.....
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:37:06 -0500, gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote:

...and if Martin hadn't pummeled him?
On 3/25/2012 7:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

We need to know more about the attack. Notice I'm not calling you stupid, thick, dense or anything. I respect your opinion.