OT Short of news in the UK

Hey, you disagree with me but you said about the same thing I said. We don't know what force was required or why. I'm not saying he was right or wrong, but after 40 encounters a civilian should also know how to avoid such a situation until the police arrive. Unless the kid launched a full force attack, but we don't know that do we?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Aggression is one way. In my case, it was smoking in the schoolyard. Would that affect your feeling of the results in this case? I'm sure his entire life will come out before long.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Smoking in the school yard? no But if it were for a pattern of aggresive behavior, starting fights, then possibly yes

Reply to
trader4

Believe I heard that when the shooter called police, he was still in his vehicle. The kid's father lived in the gated community. Remember the shooter's 911 call....he has his hands in his wasteband....shooter is in car, following victim....says to the operator "these a------- always get away".

Official neighborhood watch org. does not allow carrying weapons. This was a brand new group in Sanford, not officially part of org IIRC.

Reply to
Norminn

My gut sense, is that Zim was taking his title too seriously.

He followed the kid too closely, and the kid thought he was in danger. He was, obviously, as evidenced by his death.

.

Hey, you disagree with me but you said about the same thing I said. We don't know what force was required or why. I'm not saying he was right or wrong, but after 40 encounters a civilian should also know how to avoid such a situation until the police arrive. Unless the kid launched a full force attack, but we don't know that do we?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've read the various web pages. What I havn't been able to find: What time was the incident? 5 PM? 4 AM? Midnight? Noon? Anyone know? I havn't seen it, yet. And, yes, I've been looking.

With a title like community activator, or something, maybe Zim was feeling his oats?

.

Hey, you disagree with me but you said about the same thing I said. We don't know what force was required or why. I'm not saying he was right or wrong, but after 40 encounters a civilian should also know how to avoid such a situation until the police arrive. Unless the kid launched a full force attack, but we don't know that do we?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Haven't you heard of the "Minority Report"?

Reply to
krw

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

do you know the diference between a Taser and a stun gun? the Taser works (usually) at a distance,the stun gun requires you be within arms reach of an attacker. Both can be blocked by heavy clothing. Letting an attacker GET to within arms reach is not a good idea.

you'd have a guy carry many different defensive weapons(actually,I suspect you'd prefer people had no guns...),and then he's gotta choose,and that takes time you may not have.

defense with a handgun has the least risk and best success for one's self,which is what you the defender is concerned about,not the wellbeing of your attacker.

if you don't want to get shot,don't attack a person. simple. that proportionality concept is plain nonsense. as I've said before,a SINGLE punch to the head has killed people before. the way to stay unshot is to not try to punch me.

also,once an attacker begins beating on you,HOW do you know that he's going to stop before you die,or before you lose an eye,or become brain-damaged? you have NO way of knowing.

the way to stay unshot is to not try to punch me.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

once an attacker is knocked down,you have no right to pummel them further and call it "self-defense". same for shooting them.

Zimmerman was returning to his vehicle when he was assaulted,according to NBC news Wednesday night. Zimmerman had wounds to his face and back of his head.

BTW,wikipedia has a nice page on the topic. under Trayvon Martin.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Easy; Martin told his girlfriend he was being followed. (around 7PM) a polite kid would have asked the follower why,and if questioned about his activities,told the guy he was visiting his dad,etc... and then everybody would have gone on their way. a polite or smart kid would have called 911 himself(and before approaching the unknown guy). a smart kid would NOT approach the unknown guy who was following him if he had reason to fear him.

an aggressive kid would be "in your face","what business is it of your's?",or even begin pushing or punching. Since we have reports of Zimmerman in the act of returning to his vehicle(from NBC news),Martin had to attack Zimmerman. Plus,since Zimmerman is a short but hefty guy,a sneak attack is necessary for a tall but slight young man to drop him.

We DO know Martin was suspended from school for a week(but not why,the school will not reveal that),we know he's a school athlete,and athletics these days teaches aggression. We also know he comes from a broken home,and no father at home(he lives with his mom in Miami-Dade area. that IS a good indicator of trouble.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

And if Martin hadn't racially profiled him.....

Reply to
gonjah

Metspitzer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

according to the Orlando Sentinel this morning,the school will not reveal why Martin was suspended,their policy. also,by state law,school kids CANNOT be suspended for tardiness or truancy.

If he was in an "unauthorized area" what was he doing there? that indicates some sort of bad behavior. but a WEEK's SUSPENSION for that? seems odd. that's usually detention for a day or two,for that level of offense.

suspension is usually for severe offenses. I don't know,I was a good student,never in trouble. I also date from an earlier age!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

47 times over a 3 year period. that's once every three weeks or more.

If you call in a suspicious person or one you have seen commit a crime,you don't walk away after the call,or go back to watching TV,you keep watching,keep the suspect in sight. you're the one who's gonna have to ID them,so the police know they have the right person. That's what I've had to do several times.

since the police have no complaints or records about his aggressive neighborhood watch calls,it's not confrontation or instigation.They'd know. and they would have put a stop to it.

I beleive it was more of a case of frustration at police being slow to respond.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Z was returning to his car,he had no idea he would be attacked.He was unprepared for it. That IS the only way a skinny school kid could drop a hefty adult, surprise attack. Zimmerman had a significant head wound on the back of his head,and a bloody nose. and Martin was seen ON TOP of Zimmerman,a guy who outweighed him by at least 100 lbs.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

7:09 until about 7:18 PM or there about on feb 26 2012
Reply to
gfretwell

That seems to be what Zimmerman is saying. We may never know but the prosecution has to prove that is not what happened.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

YOU were suspended from school for a week? that is a pretty stiff penalty. detention was the usualy punishment.

I'm NOT so sure about that. Martin's life story SHOULD have come out by now. Zimmerman's has already.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

For the $.25, I'd prefer not to have to clean the blade.

Reply to
krw

...and if Martin hadn't pummeled him?

Reply to
krw

We need to know more about the attack. Notice I'm not calling you stupid, thick, dense or anything. I respect your opinion.

Reply to
gonjah