OT: Shopping, in general

Page 2 of 2

The dreaded check book! Arrg. I had one old lady do the same, and she insisted on going over every item that she had purchased, against the receipt.
One of the hardest tongue biting episodes my smart-ass ever endured. :-)
On 12/14/13 5:06 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

Add slowly searching for coupons. Add searching for exact change.
On 12/14/2013 5:15 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

[snip]

LOL! SWMBO pointed that one out as were were chuckling over this thread earlier. Typically these clueless ones wait until everything has been rung up AND the check written or card swiped or... and only THEN do they remember the coupons and ask for a "do over." Arrrgh, indeed!
Irreverent Maximus wrote:

No self serve check out? No express check out?
On 12-14-2013, 19:04, Tony Hwang wrote:

If I ran a store, there would be a five-percent surcharge for people who exceed the number of items specified for the express lane. Ten percent if three items over.
And for those who pretend they can't count, a map on how to get to a different store.
(Consoled my wife, a retail cashier, with similar words when she stressed out over the jerks she was required to be polite to.)
But now, I take it back. My express lanes would have no item limit. Just a flat five percent "convenience fee." My thinking is that the more items you have, the higher the fee, and therefore the lane would be avoided by anyone not truly in a hurry.
And I would be closed "Black Friday." And on any other day, anyone trying to take an item from another shopper would be escorted out of the store without purchases and asked not to return. If they argued they had it first, "Are you willing to pay double the price if our security videos say otherwise?"
I figure the only customers I would lose would be the ones I don't want, and I'd get even more customers from the civilized people.
--
Wes Groleau

Don't get even — get odd!
Wes Groleau wrote:

Like wise, if I use self check out. same amount of discount? Our self check out accept CC and cash, dispenses correct change.

Express checkout? Is that the one with the woman with two carts full of crap, checking out?

Self serve at Wal-Mart and Lowe's. Express lanes everywhere. Doesn't matter anyway.
On 12/14/2013 8:56 AM, willshak wrote:

It seems like there are usually not enough checkers and there are always issues with the self checkout. Surprising considering how much money they have. I never buy ice cream there.
On 12/13/2013 10:58 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

Retired, I go to a fitness center a few times a week in mid-morning when traffic is light. This past Black Friday, I noted much heavier traffic and impolite motorists apparently rushing to the stores.
According to my wife, if you want to go nuts this time of year, go to the post office. Half the people with armloads of packages act like it was their first time there.
stores are designed to intentially slow shoppers, narrower aisles. displays that congest.
the slower you go the more you spend..... grocery stores put transponders on carts to track customer flow. to see what path you take.
and many grocery stores perodically move departments around, to get you looking at other things.
ron johnson took over penneys, made wide aisles, with no obstructions, cut favorite products in favor of pricier merchandise and sales dropped by half

You forgot about the part where he raised prices and cut inventory. There is good reason the place went into the tank; he followed the Sears model (sans tools). They still haven't recovered from that moron.

And did away with coupons, and other promotions that his customers had been used to and were major parts of the reason they shopped. Johnson basically went through, cataloged everything that could to be done thorouhly piss off his core customers.... and then did them.
but what they conceal is vital."

Yep. They're trying to undo them but it might be too late.
On 12/13/2013 09:58 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:
[snip]

The aisles are usually wide enough for two carts to pass, although often someone leaves a cart in the MIDDLE so no one can pass.
BTW, this has something in common with computers. Often things pop up and almost always in the MIDDLE of the screen. The position most likely to interfere with what you're doing.
[snip]
--
10 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).

A good reason to use dual screens (though some pop up right between). At work, I'm having the opposite problem. Popup messages (like meeting notices) aren't popping all the way to the top. I don't have sound turned on (long story) so I miss them completely. I get more work done but the boss gets pissed.