OT: Shop Walmart (or HF) - Save the Planet

Page 6 of 6

But its NOT slave labor, not even close to slave labor for those countries. You are talking about countries where the bulk of the population makes less per year than many of us make per hour. To them, a $3 dollar a day job is a huge increase in pay. Some of the highest paid employees in offshore industries such as systems development make something like $5,000 to $6,000 per year and are rich by comparison to the population of their countries. I made twice that as a systems developer over 40 years ago so to me, their salaries sound like slave labor too but so would my salary of 40 years ago if I had to live on it today.
The view isn't so much idealistic as it is a long term view. There are plenty of examples of that point with Japan being the most evident in my lifetime. Japan used to be the low cost manufacturing capital but over a period of 40-50 years they saw labor rates increase to where they are now on par with the US. India and China are two of today's low cost sources but they are also seeing a huge demand for wage increases that over the next 40-50 years will bring them to the same level. It is already occuring in some areas and will increase as their populations (like China) increase their consumption from their increased employment and personal wealth.
As much as I may find the rapid Globalization of our jobs to be painful and damaging, I also realize that the long term result will be good for all. What I would like to see is a more balanced and managed globalization. I am not sure how we would go about management of it without destroying it in the process based on the traditional tendancy of governments to over-react.

I think that last point about being more balanced is the thing. It needs to be at a slower pace.

Especially when you consider that when the book was written it was the US that had real cheap labor.

That is true when you take the long term view but short term results can also cause substantial damage when the cost disparity between nations is so great that it causes huge movements of jobs in short periods of time.
BobR wrote:

I was just watching the morning news and there is supposed to be a report released today that tells how many thousands of jobs have been saved with stimulus money, and in the film clip there were some guys shoveling by hand and in the clip a big yellow Komatsu backhoe doing it's thing.
FatterDumber& Happier Moe" <"WheresMyCheck wrote:

Reminds me: Some time back, I invented a labor-saving device and tried to sell it to our city's public works department.
It was a set of collapsible legs to hold a shovel upright, thereby reducing the number of workers needed to dig a hole by fifty percent. City wasn't interested.