OT: Shop Walmart (or HF) - Save the Planet

"... it?s likely that a world run by Walmart would be both richer and cleaner than a world run by Greenpeace."

HeyBub

If you like shopping at a place that urges it's suppliers to take their manufacturing jobs to other countries with cheap labor then go ahead. IMO, the more we shop with them the more we will need them because of the loss of jobs here that they help create.

Reply to
hibb

Who really caused the loss of jobs? Who made it so expensive to do business here?

Reply to
mike

I often wondered that too. They keep on telling us we need to lower ourselves to match other countries. Walmart is trying their best with near minimum wage jobs and no or minimal benefits but there is still a ways to go before they can get people to work for $25/week.

Reply to
George

Greedy business owners. Mostly Republicans.

The sweatshop mentality of business owners down through the years that caused workers to have to organize in order to get decent wages and safe working conditions.

I thought everbody knew that.

Reply to
hibb

Congress, the oposite of progress.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Watch zero make it a law, next week.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Congress over regulated business, during the Democrat years. I thought everyone knew that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Without those business owners, greedy or not, there would be no jobs for anyone. Even the fool Obama couldn't create jobs where there are no businesses.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I know that you believe some pretty crazy things for no apparent reason, you are a Mormon after all, but do you really believe that the current problems are caused by a Democratic Congress over regulating business? Did you not miss what letting banks do whatever they want did to the financials? Or for that matter letting BP drill for oil any way it wants or run the Alaska Pipeline the cheapest possible way.

Big businesses will always cut corners and prefer to have no regulation, to save costs. Not that regulations are perfect, but disabling regulatory agencies (which W did), always has had the same sad consequences. Rewind back to Reagan and the S&L crisis, for example.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Chinas daily manufacturing pay rate 3 bucks a day american:)

American manufacturing pay rate 29+ bucks per hour:(

If YOU owned a company where would the products come from? remember your competitors products are coming from low wage places...........

Reply to
hallerb

SIgh.

Adam Smith settled this hash in the 18th Century with his book: "The Wealth of Nations." In it, he said that when nations do what they do best and trade the result, everybody comes out ahead. Conversely, protectionism in all its forms (embargos, tariffs, boycotts, etc.) do unimaginable harm.

Some just haven't kept up with the reading.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sounds like an idealistic view that doesn't work in the real world where what some countries do best is provide labor so cheap that it is virtually slave labor.

Reply to
hibb

True, has nothing to do with the point I made but true non the less.

Reply to
hibb

There has to be a balance. Who is going to buy your products when unemployment keeps going up? You can get em as cheap as you want but if your customers have no money because they aren't working...

Reply to
hibb

iness, during the Democrat years. I thought

It's amazing how many people still don't get it.

Reply to
hibb

Especially when you consider that when the book was written it was the US that had real cheap labor.

Reply to
hibb

Greedy business owners. Mostly Republicans.

Don't forget the bargain hunting consumer that wants cheap, cheap, cheap. . They want to make a lot of money, but don't want to pay a lot. Look for them lined up at Harbor Freight.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

iness, during the Democrat years. I thought

If the "regulators" really regulated and were concerned with the elements of operation that involve public safety, which is the ONLY thing they should be concerned with, it would be acceptable to all business. That is not the case and hasn't been for many decades if ever. The government BURROCRAPS setup a self-serving nightmare of regulations that serve only to keep themselves employed doing nothing while adding a never ending burden of paperwork on business that is costing the public billions of dollars every year. In spite of all these regulations and partly because of them we end up with an ever increasing call for MORE regulations.

Government regulations are measured by weight and not by effectiveness. That is true of the written regulations themselves, the required results of those regulations and last but not least the cost of those regulations. I can also guarantee that no matter how much you spend, how diligent you are, there will be some government regulations local, city, county, state or federal that you will not be in compliance with.

Reply to
BobR

e quoted text -

I am absolutely going to build them here in the good old US of A. I am going to pay those $29 hour wages and eliminate automation so I can employ more people, price my goods to only break even because I am totally convinced that the AMERICAN PUBLIC will pay 4 to 10 times as much because they are made in the USA. OH YES, least I forget...please tax me at nothing less than the 50% level because I am a rich business owner who has invested his money in job production instead of just consumption.

Reply to
BobR