OT - Shooting in Ottawa

I don't know if you guys heard this or not, but today in Ottawa (the capital city of Canada), a gunman armed with a rifle shot one of the soldiers standing guard at the National War Memorial in Ottawa, which is only steps away from the Parliament Building. Apparantly, even though the guards at the War Memorial have rifles, they have no ammunition for those rifles, so the guard was essentially unarmed. Some reports say that there were two guards, but only one was killed.
The gunman then ran into the front entrance of the Parliament Building, right past the building's own security people and got into a gun fight with the guards there. The chief of security at the Parliament building, called the "Master of Arms" came out of his office to see what was going on and came face to face with the gunman. The Master of Arms dropped to the floor and fired three shots with his revolver to kill the gunman.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are now investigating this to see if it was in any way related to the terroism being exported to western countries by groups like ISIS.
This kind of thing has never happened before, and the gunman only got as far as he did because his actions took everyone by surprise. No one expected anything like this to happen, and it takes some time for people to get it into their heads that it really is happening, and they need to act. A similar thing happened at the White House just about a week or so ago, but in that case the guy wasn't armed.
'Parliament Hill shooting in Ottawa: B.C. MPs seek shelter, VPD to assist Ottawa police | Globalnews.ca' (http://tinyurl.com/ptd5pz7 )
--
nestork

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:17:08 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

Yes, it was the lead news story here in the USA. It's not similar to the WH incident. That was a case of a deranged nut. I'm pretty sure you'll find that the Ottawa incident is islamic terrorism at work again. You had a previous case just 2 days before, where one ran over a cop and killed him. ISIS has called for sympathizers to kill police, military, etc. From the reports here, the Ottawa guy was a recent convert to islam.
I don't understand how these guys can get converted over to suicide idiots so easily, even by just the internet. It's easier to understand a bunch of brainwashed loons when they are brought up that way, or all together in a group 24/7, like the Jim Jones Koolaid drinkers, etc.
On 10/23/2014 12:40 AM, nestork wrote:

IIRC, the USA does a lot of that, posting soldiers with rifles and no ammo. Did we get that idea from you, or the other way around?
Like the Ford Hood shooting where the Muslim guy was yelling Allah Akbar, and Obama called it work place violence. The military guys had to call in police, cause the police had bullets.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I guess the word terrorist wasn't popular then... Remember they walk amongst us. You are responsible to protect yourself. The Sargent of Arms was ready, unlike many other shootings where citizens have been disarmed and multiple victims ensued. The training he had showed through. I wonder if he ever had to fire in the line of duty as a RCMP? Maybe that question shouldn't be asked because someone would tag him blood thirsty...
--
Tekkie

On 10/23/2014 3:19 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

On the radio today, someone quoted. I think the source is Wayne LaPierre, from NRA. "The only answer to a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."
Remember the mass shooting at Fort Hood, when all the military guys had no ammo, so they had to call in police who had live ammo?
'Oren[_2_ Wrote: > ;3299761']On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 06:40:39 +0200, nestork

> as

> people

Yes, I remember that, but it was 30 years ago, and it was in a different building. Quebec has it's own government (just like each province has), and the Quebec government is called the National Assembly. The shooting yesterday occured in the building which houses the federal government of Canada. (we have too many governments governing us)
Still, if something happened 30 years ago, by now our guard is down. I think it's only North and South Korea that still have their guard up against each other after, what, 65 or so years now?
But, information about the shooter is now coming out. Apparantly he was living in a homeless shelter in Ottawa for the past few weeks, and people that knew him say he was battling a drug addiction. Those people are saying that he may have realized that he was hopelessly addicted and decided to "commit suicide by cop". Apparantly, his mother, who also lives in Ottawa, says that she spoke with him a few weeks ago, that that was the last time that she had any contact with him for about 5 years! That, to me, indicates a completely dysfunctional family when a son and his mother go for that long without any contact whatsoever. He had accumulated a long criminal record in British Columbia and was well known to police there.
Long story short, this guy seems to have been a train wreck waiting to happen his whole life.
--
nestork

On 10/23/2014 4:09 PM, nestork wrote:

And this, in gun free Canada, and a gun free zone?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

[...]
His face book posting and the fact he purchased a car the day before
would seem to indicate he was Aok except for the whole gotta kill