OT - Sharpie markers dried out

I've got a box of black Sharpie markers, purchased several years ago. They have dried out, so they don't write properly. Is there something I can add, some solvent, to make them write again? Drill a hole in the barrel, and drip some solvent in?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I used to have a working link to the MSDS for Sharpie ink pens

but it seems to not work.

I recall that the solvents varied by pen type.

xylene was the predominate solvent. I used to squirt a bit of Goof Off into the cap & re-cover the pen. SOmetimes worked, sometimes not.

Reply to
DD_BobK

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 14:06 Stormin Mormon wrote in alt.home.repair:

Permanant or non permanant type?

If permanant, I suspect the solvent would cost more (as a sum of capital cost and messing about time) than new pens!

If non permanant, a few drops of water may do the trick - it may be enough to stand the nib end in a glass of water overnight, then remove and leave for another day to sort itself out.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's a nit, but I'm going to pick it anyway.

You asked: "Permanant or non permanant type?"

The question is:

Why doesn't Sharpie list any non-permanent markers on their website? They specifically list "permanent markers" in numerous colors and they specifically list "highlighters" and "whiteboard markers", but AFAICT they never use the term "non-permanent" anywhere on their website. I used their search engine and couldn't get a hit for non-permanent or nonpermanent or even non permanent. Well, OK, I lied. Searching for non permanent returned lots of hits for permanent.

So, is there really such a thing as a non-permanent Sharpie? Many other companies market non-permanent markers, but apparently Sharpie does not.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

look for washable markers

Reply to
chaniarts

Is that an answer to my question about non-permanent Sharpies?

No hits for washable at the Sharpie site.

They do list some wash-based markers but they don't state that they are non-permanent or washable.

Just interesting, that's all.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'll try and remember to read the label on goof off. I wonder, think I can get Xylene in the paint section. Might be able to get some in, some how.

.

I used to have a working link to the MSDS for Sharpie ink pens

but it seems to not work.

I recall that the solvents varied by pen type.

xylene was the predominate solvent. I used to squirt a bit of Goof Off into the cap & re-cover the pen. SOmetimes worked, sometimes not.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think Sharpie only makes permanant. You're probably right, about the cost.

.

Permanant or non permanant type?

If permanant, I suspect the solvent would cost more (as a sum of capital cost and messing about time) than new pens!

If non permanant, a few drops of water may do the trick - it may be enough to stand the nib end in a glass of water overnight, then remove and leave for another day to sort itself out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 20:36 DerbyDad03 wrote in alt.home.repair:

Pretty sure I have had a non permanant one - I have mistaken with another brand, but I buy Shapies regularly because they are particularly good for DIY work (marking cables and stuff) - and something has caused to me look out for the word "Permanant" when I buy new ones...

Reply to
Tim Watts

krw

You're trying to sidestep Sanford's whole business plan??? ;-)

Reply to
croy

Sigh. I've been outed.

.

You're trying to sidestep Sanford's whole business plan??? ;-)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I am pretty sure all sharpie products have some degree of permanence since they use various non water based solvents in their ink formula.

The "most permanent" line is the one with the white/red reverse lettering "industrial" which I think use xylene.

As an aside some of the best markers I ever bought for storage life was a Korean clone brand. I wanted a box of markers and they didn't have the sharpies so I bought those for a similar price. Had to be 10 years ago and I found the box the other day and there were a few left. They seem to be just as good as new.

Reply to
George

All sharpies are permanent to some degree. That is their major selling point.

Reply to
George

A normal person would dispose of them and spend a dollar to buy a new marker. Therefore, you are NOT normal.....

Reply to
homeowner

My parents grew up in the shadow of the Great Depression. They are not normal, nor am I. By your definition.

I even write my usenet posts in recycled plain text.

.

A normal person would dispose of them and spend a dollar to buy a new marker. There- fore, you are NOT normal.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My parents were married during the depression. I certainly don't want to live like they did. OTOH, with Obama at the helm we may not have any other choice.

...and are too cheap to even buy scroll bars to get to past quoted material.

Reply to
krw

I soaked mine in ethanol alcohol and got them to write some more

Reply to
Robert Macy

I think it's abnormal to want to throw everything away the minute there's the slightest problem..

Reply to
Robert Macy

I do agree with that. Most electronics and electrical stuff I will try to fix as well as other machinery and home items. But there is a limit. A dead marker or dead ink pen is dead. Toss it. Unless a few drops of water will make it last longer. But spending money on chemicals, drilling holes in the marker, and generally wasting a lot of time for a one dollar marker is just plain dumb. I know a guy who tried to refill those Bic cigarette lighters. He filled a few of them, then almost blew himself up when one was leaking and he flicked it.

I'd rather AVOID wasteful disposible stuff. I still have a refillable metal lighter. Most of the time I use a double edged razor that I buy blades for, rather than those one time disposible razors, etc.

But I've never seen a refillable marker. And while on that subject, when I was a kid, they used to sell ink pen refills. I dont see them anymore, but back then, in elementary school I saved all the pen parts and used to do pen repair for my classmates. Some of the teachers were not exactly pleased about it, because during boring subjects, I'd rather be fixing pens, and had lots of springs and push buttons etc on my desk.

These days, my garage is filled with car parts, building materials, and so on, so it's the same sort of thing, just bigger toys for bigger boys!!!

Reply to
homeowner