OT Send a fax with Google Voice

GV,*,PIN,2,FAX# , = pause
Now I just wish my Google Voice number would recognize incoming faxes.
Metspitzer wrote:

Hi, Fax signal has distinctive ring sound. I think recognizing it is an option.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/OT-Send-a-fax-with-Google-Voice-452444-.htm DA wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:

Voice over IP and faxes don't go together very well because of the signal compression that's going on. I'm no Google Voice expert but I wouldn't be surprised if it became known that supporting fax comms is not hot on Google's list. Not the least because they would much rather have you use Gmail and have the document scanned and emailed through it.
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 03:58:38 +0000, info_at_1-script_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (DA) wrote:

That actually seems like a much better way to send faxes anyway. I don't have a long distance carrier on my phone and I just use my cell phone for long distance calls, but I can't use my cell phone to send a fax.
I have figured out how to send the faxes using Google Voice to a long distance number, but until I find people willing to email forms/doctor's labs to me, I still need a way to receive a fax without having to switch my fax machine from off to answer.
It is not a big deal, but it would be nice if I could give out my Goggle Voice number and have it detect an incoming fax, and just save it to disk. Wow that would even make it possible to receive a fax by text message.
Using Fax machines wastes mountains of paper and they are totally unnecessary.

There are services that allow you to email from your computer and they will turn it into a fax, and that give you a phone number to receive faxes, which they will in turn email you, maybe as pdf files.
Some of these services will even do one of these things for free, if you have only a few a month, maybe 4.
And I think some of them will do the other one for free, so one could get both for free, maybe.