OT: Saving two cents

Page 2 of 3
On May 18, 9:00am, Jules Richardson

Over the years people have become conditioned to ASSUME the larger packages of things have a lower unit price.
Store owners, desperate to maintain profit margins, have gotten wise to this and are now doing the opposite.
They justify it in their minds by saying that it's the consumer's responsibility to know what they're buying, and technically they're right.
Jules Richardson wrote:
[snip]

Not always. Many times the larger package contains multiple smaller packages. The smaller ones AND the larger are wrapped.
[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Last summer I discovered this "Landshark" beer that I really liked. The local grocery store had it in 6-packs and 12-packs. $7.99 for the 6-pack, $15.99 for the 12-pack.
I buy cheese, two 8oz packs for $4. A 16oz pack of the same brand and flavor is $4.99. A 24oz pack of the same brand and flavor is $7.49.
The store sells "club packs" of meat to compete with Sam's Club. Unit price is usually higher than the individual portions, and I also have to handle raw meat to rebag it and freeze it...
Larger quantities aren't always cheaper.
On May 18, 10:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Andy writes :
OK , I just Have to add an observation of mine....
The local grocery store often has "chicken thighs and drumsticks" on sale for 39 cents a pound..
They also, often , have "chicken breasts " on sale for 99 cents a pound...
I eat a lot of chicken...
I bought a bunch of "thighs and legs" and weighed them. I then discarded the parts I don't eat (skin, fat), and cooked them. And then I weighted the parts (bones, gristle) left over..... The cost for the meat I actually ate was about a dollar a pound....
I did the same for the "breasts"....The cost came out to approx the same --- a dollar a pound.....
So, given that info, I will pay a dollar a pound for chicken....
If the store sells " thighs,legs" for MORE than 39c USD per pound, I don't buy...
If "breasts" go for more than one dollar USD per pound, I don't buy...
When on sale, I usually by six months supply....
I have been doing this for several years, and and very pleased with myself...
Any posters than can contribute with similar scientific inquiry and assessment to further this research are encouraged to vent their rath....
Andy in Eureka, Texas
On 5/18/2011 12:02 PM, Andy wrote:

I'm still smarting over trading in a 5 gallon empty tank of propane for a full tank which in relatively small print on the side says it contains 15 lbs. Looking up the density of propane, I see I got about 3.6 gallons. To me that's fraud and I even sent a letter to our state attorney general (that's Joe Biden Jr.) with no response.
Another story, a long time ago back in high school, a class mate worked part time in a dry goods store. He said that something like a shirt that normally sold for $2 would be put on sale at 2/$5. Maybe the store had to recoup the cost of advertising the sale ;)
Frank wrote:
[snip]

A lot of propane is sold that way (15lb in 20lb tank). I noticed that the Walgreens store here has it from a company called "Heritage Propane" that claims 17lb. Considering that the tanks aren't supposed to have more than 16.6lb (marked on tank), maybe that's what they're calling 17lb. It's still more than 15lb.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Mark Lloyd wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 5/18/2011 3:17 PM, willshak wrote:

I hear he's a nice kid but not as bright as his father. Lawyers joked about him when he was in court. Took him at least 4 tries to pass the Delaware bar and because of this he only had 3-4 years as a Delaware lawyer before getting elected. Everyone in the Delaware legal community was amazed that he got elected. Had he played his cards right, last election, he would have had his father's old job.

I thought propane was sold, and the tanks measured, by the pound, not the gallon.
I stop trading in tanks at HD since even though the price was "cheaper" than the refill places, you only got 17 lbs - but it was marked on the label, so you can't claim fraud. At price/17lbs, it was more expensive than getting the filled. You pay for the convenience of grab and go.
I have them filled at BJ's where you get the full 20lbs ( I think!) for a much better place.
[snip]

At the nearest HD here, you get 15lb (some brand called "AmeriGas"). Some stores must use a different service. BTW, the Lowe's uses Blue Rhino (15lb too).

You can't have 20lb of propane in a 20lb tank. There's no room for the liquid to vaporize.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I don't who's right, but I can find lots of places on the web that say the tare weight of a tank is ~17-18lbs. Add 20lb of propane and a full tank should weigh 37 - 38 lbs.
I found one source that says 20lb of propane in a 20lb tank leaves 20% space for vapor:
"A 20lb propane tank for example, is designed to hold 20lbs (4.72 gallons)of propane which when filled will provide a 20% vapor area."
Other's agree with you at 17 - 18lb of propane.
Problem is, all I'm finding is forums, not anything that I would deem "conclusive".
Nothing personal!
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

I haven't gotten to weigh an empty tank yer, but I have weighed a "full" tank (one of those that claimed 15lb) and that seems right. I wanted to weigh it full as a way to tell how much propane is left.

That may be true, and then the government decided that was not enough.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Cite?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

There are 3 places around here (Kroger, Wal-Mart, Lowes) that sell Blue Rhino. Their labels all say 15lb.
HD has "AmeriGas", 15lb.
Walgreens (and CVS?) sell "Heritage Propane". Labels say 17lb.
The TANKS are marked (stamped in metal) with 16.6lb. That may be the weight of an empty tank.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

The first and only time I exchanged a tank at HD was back when it was 17lbs. It was AmeriGas back then too. It was more than a few years ago, so obviously they've lowered the amount, but probably not the price. Once I realized what I had just bought, I never went back - not because I thought I was duped (caveat emptor) but because the price per pound was higher than I could pay elsewhere.
I just called my local BJ's Wholesale where I get my tanks refilled and asked them how much they put in the tank when they refill them. With no hesitation, she said 20Lbs. The price fluctuates, but it's always cheaper than any "tank exchange" price and I'm supposedly getting the full 20lbs.
It's been a while since I've weighed an empty or full tank, but I think I'll do it the next time I need a refill.

I don't have a tank in front of me, but it might say TW 16.6lb, which would be it's tare weight - the weight of the empty tank.
Even without the TW, I'll bet dollars to donuts and a new propane tank that the 16.6lb stamped into the tank is the tare weight.

On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:02:07 -0700 (PDT), Andy

Thats a steal. Around here it costs $50 an hour to rent a woman, just to feel her breasts. If you want to do more to her than that, the price goes up quite a lot. The weight of the breasts dont matter, it's just charged by the hour. Actually, I dont know how anyone would weigh breasts, without cutting them off first. Most women would object to that.
On May 18, 1:53pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Apply Archimede's Principle. Weigh the woman dry, then weigh her with only her breasts submerged in water, measuring the volume of water displaced during submersion. The rest is simple math.
On May 18, 12:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Andy comments: Personally, I like them by the pound, the heavier the better. ... but it's all just a "come on".... Bet you can't eat just one !!!!!
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Eureka, where old women are required to wear brassieres at mealtime to avoid knocking the potatoes off their plates....
On 5/18/2011 1:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Heard a young woman asked this guy if he preferred breasts or legs.
He said his preference was for a shaved snatch.
Got him thrown out of KFC.

My local BJ's Wholsale carries Chicken Fillets, which are smaller and much more tender than the boneless breasts. The chicken even comes sealed in individual packages (~3/4 lb, ~4 fillets) within the bulk package.
When I asked the butcher why they were so much cheaper he said it was because everyone just "naturally" buys the breasts, so they simply charge more for them.
True, we have to handle more pieces per meal, but we find the fillets better tasting and certainly cheaper.