OT - Saving fillable PDF forms

Page 1 of 2  
Finally...
I buy a lot of stuff online, and much of it comes from the USA. To save money I broker those imports across the border myself, and the PITA I've had to deal with until now is that while the CBSA (Canada Border Security Agency) has the forms I need available as downloadable fillable PDF forms on their web site, I can't save those forms after filling them out. Not unless I pay $300 for Adobe Acrobat. If I find out I've made a mistake on a form after closing Adobe Reader, I have to fill out the whole form over again. If I find out that I need to import more of something, I have to fill out the same form with the same information over again.
Adobe Reader XI is a freeware program released by Adobe just last February that allows fillable PDF's to be saved. Don't bend over to kiss Adobe's feet because the only reason why they did that was because other freeware programs like Nitro Reader 3 and PDF-XChanger already had that feature and were increasing in popularity. Adobe is more wanting to crush these upstart software companies than give that feature away free.
(By the way, Nitro Reader 3 allows you to extract text and graphics in PDF forms and save them in various word processor and graphic image formats, including Word and JPG or BMP files.) I don't know if Adobe Reader XI does that or not.)
You can download Adobe Reader XI from any download site like Tucows or CNET, but those sites simply transfer you to Adobe's web site, where downloading results in Reader XI being installed on the computer you're sitting in front of. And, if you're on dial-up like me, that can take forever.
A better way to do it is to go to Freewarefiles.com where you can download the installation program itself onto a CD or flash memory card. That way, you can go to any internet cafe or restaurant with WIFI where you have access to high speed internet, and download the installation file in a few minutes onto a flash memory drive, and then install Reader XI onto your computer from the flash memory drive. Proceed as follows:
1. Go to: 'Freeware Files - Free Software Downloads' (http://www.freewarefiles.com /)
2. on the left side, click on the "Business/Organize" link 3. click on the "PDF Readers / PDF Tools" link 4. click on the "Adobe Reader 11.0.02" link (or find the Nitro Reader 3 program and click on it. It's a handy little program, too.)
5. click on the "Download Now" link. (You might have to register as a user on the Freeware Files web site. It's free, tho. You just have to wait for e-mail confirmation.)
That will download the installation program to the path of your choice so that you can save a copy of the installation file for quick installations on other computers.
You can run the Reader XI installation program without removing any old versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader. The intallation program anticipates the presence of an older version and will just change/update what you've already got.
I just got home and edited some fillable PDF's to check that Reader XI saves fillable PDF's and it does.
Finally.
--
nestork


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
nestork wrote:

Adobe Reader X (10.1.6) will also save a fill-in pdf
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

So I'm told wil the freeware Open Office, if you download some free add-on.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

e

de

OK, so which is it? First you claimed that you can't save the forms unless you pay $300 for Adobe Acrobat. Now you claim that Adobe Reader XI is free and it allows you to save the forms. Which is it?

Apparently in your world businesses just provide products for free...... Adobe actually gives a LOT of stuff away, including apparently what you need. So, you were lyingabove. But Adobe is still evil.... Go figure.

Wow! Now that's surprising. You go to download and install a program from a website, agree to do so, and the result is the program is installed on the computer you;re sitting in front of? Who would ever expect that?
And if Nitro does what you want, why don't you just use it and stop bitching about Adobe?

I see, so now, not only is it not good enough that Adobe has a free product that does what you want, it's their fault because you're on dial-up and it takes a long time to download. I guess all download files, programs, etc should be limited to say 300K, circa 1990 because you're still on dial-up.

Yeah, they should accomodate that method because there are soooo many folks like you that want to do it that way.........
Go figure.....
Here;s a hint. Next time you get your little pecker stuck in the PC, don't take it out on Adobe and go on the internet and make an ass of yourself.....
Rest of stupidity deleted.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
' snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net[_2_ Wrote: > ;3050597']

Go back and re-read it.
Adobe Acrobat, which allows you to create PDF files, costs $300.
Adobe Acrobat Reader XI, which allows you to read PDF files, is free.
--
nestork


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I did and here's what you posted:
A- " I can't save those forms after filling them out. Not unless I pay $300 for Adobe Acrobat. "
B - "Adobe Reader XI is a freeware program released by Adobe just last February that allows fillable PDF's to be saved. "

And what you posted is exactly what I said. You said that Adobe Reader XI, which is free, allows you to SAVE fillable PDF's. That was what you wanted to do, was it not? To save forms that were filled in? Boy are you confused.
Geez....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
' snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net[_2_ Wrote:

Adobe _ACROBAT[/]_costs_about_$300_and_allows_you_to_create_PDF_files_using_text_and_graphics.__You_can_also_use_later_versions_of_it_to_create_\"Fillable_PDF\"_forms_which_allow_you_to_type_information_into_PDF_files_and_print_it_out_with_that_information_in_the_appropriate_places.__(just_like_filling_in_any_any_kind_of_form_or_putting_notes_on_a_drawing,_but_doing_it_with_the_keyboard_on_your_computer_instead_of_with_pen_in_hand)
Adobe_[U]READER_ is freeware that allow you to read PDF files. You can also use the later versions of it to SAVE filled in PDF forms, so that if you make a mistake, you can just go back and correct that mistake instead of filling out the whole form all over again.
Until recently, I was unable to save fillable PDF forms because the versions of READER that were available free to download didn't offer that feature. You had to have the $300 Acrobat to save filled in PDF forms. The latest versions of READER have that feature.
And, considering that was a major nuisance in my life, I thought I'd post in here to let everyone else that found it to be a nuisance in their lives know that a fix was now available.
If you still don't understand it, maybe get someone else to explain it to you.
Until recently, in order to save
--
nestork

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

t_­and_graphics.__You_can_also_use_later_versions_of_it_to_create_\"Filla ble_P­DF\"_forms_which_allow_you_to_type_information_into_PDF_files_and_p rint_it_­out_with_that_information_in_the_appropriate_places.__(just_like _filling_in­_any_any_kind_of_form_or_putting_notes_on_a_drawing,_but_doin g_it_with_the_­keyboard_on_your_computer_instead_of_with_pen_in_hand)

Well:
A - Who would know that from your post bitching about evil Adobe?
B - It's apparently free and available, so what are you bitching at Adobe about?

No such problem or beef here or I expect in 99% of the sane world. And your "fix" IMO is BS, because most free versions of commercial software expect you to be at the PC you are installing the software at. In other words, you can't go down to Starbucks, download the install stuff and take it back to another PC.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
' snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net[_2_ Wrote:

Yes, you are correct. Normally Adobe's Download Manager will automatically install the program on the computer you're sitting at, and that causes me a problem BECAUSE I want to install it on a different computer.
That's why I included the instructions:
- 1. Go to: Freeware Files - Free Software Downloads 2. on the left side, click on the "Business/Organize" link 3. click on the "PDF Readers / PDF Tools" link 4. click on the "Adobe Reader 11.0.02" link (or find the Nitro Reader 3 program and click on it. It's a handy little program, too.) 5. click on the "Download Now" link. -
Which downloads READER XI's .EXE file to the path of your choice (such as a memory stick or CD), SO THAT you can install the READER XI program on any other computer(s) from that memory stick or CD.
If you don't believe me, try it yourself.
That's why I added:
I just got home from my favourite restaurant with WIFI, installed Reader XI on my internet surfing computer and edited some fillable PDF's to check that Reader XI saves fillable PDF's and it does. Now, I'll install it on my business computer.
--
nestork

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

l

But what does that one executable contain and how big is it? Usually when you start the install of a product like Adobe it doesn't exist in just one downloadable file. Instead there is one relatively small executable file that you download and then that program in turn downloads and installs all the other stuff, which is a large amount, far larger than the initial file Are you saying that one executable is all there is to Adobee Reader? That later when you run that executable that you've downloaded at Starbucks and transferred to your other computer, that it doesn't require that target PC to be online and do a lot of additional downloading?
I've seen the one file approach for simple programs, like shareware, but in my experience, it's not the typical approach for a more involved product from one of the commercial companies.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

all

d

r

l

I checked out your website link. That file is huge, like 50MB, so I guess it is the whole Adobe Reader and your process will work as you say.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Monday, April 22, 2013 12:12:24 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

...because this subject comes up ever so frequently on alt.home.repair, right?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 21:03:28 +0200, nestork

PDF Creator.

So what? You're whining because Adobe is now forced to compete with freeware? How dumb is that?!

SO USE IT! <sheesh!>

SO DON'T USE IT! <sheesh!>

You're going to install it on someone else's computer?
<instructions snipped>

Amazing rant.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz;3050700 Wrote: >

Go back and reread it.
I explained that I am on dial-up on both of my home office computers.
But, I also have a lap top, and when connected to any WIFI network I can download at 40 times the rate I can on dial-up. But, downloading onto my laptop does me little good cuz I do most of my paper work in my home office.
So, I go where there's free WIFI (like Starbucks) and download the installation program with my laptop onto a memory stick.
Then I install the program onto my home office computers from the memory stick.
Having Adobe's download manager install Reader XI on the computer I'm sitting in front of does me little good.
The instructions I gave allow me to get around that problem. Other people in here might want the installation program too.
--
nestork


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
nestork wrote:

Hi, You just wrote an insstruction for yourself, LOL! Where do you live? Dial up is only thing you can have? Is that rotary dial?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

thats what I was thinking, he either lives in the boonies and doesn't have access to anything else or just to cheap to spring for broadband. If he's working from home, he could write it off. I do
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
PDF forms:

North America is a third world country when it come to high speed Internet access. In the U.S., if you live in a rural area, just getting a dial tone on a phone line is a minor miracle.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

In some places, sure. However, there is *always* satellite. Why should I pay for your Internet service if you choose to live in the boonies?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Although technically Canada is part of North America, home gay tells us EVERYTHING is better in Canuckistan. And if memory serves me right, nestork is in canuckistan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You make it sound like it's unreasonable or unheard of for an online software installation utility at a company's website to be set up to install said software on the PC you're currently using to access their website. Or that this is some problem unique to Adobe. It's not. Most of the software that's available from companies online is settup so that it installs on the PC in front of you.
Also, I don't see how your alleged procedure for getting around it would work. When you go to a company's website to download and install a program or software update, what typically happens is that it downloads a relatively small executable file. That file starts runnning and it in turn downloads the rest of the files, which can be very large and installs them. So, I don't see how you're going to avoid that process of downloading of the software to the actual PC that's it's getting installed on. I think what you're confused over is that a lot of freeware comes in some neat compressed file where you can download just that file. But that isn't how products like Adobe Reader are distibuted or installed, not in my experience.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.