OT - Sandy aid for apartment dwellers

I read an article in the local newspaper about the proposed congressional Sandy aid. It mentioned a lady who was living in a hotel getting FEMA assitance due to the apartment building that she was living in previously being damaged. My question is why would someone who is renting an apartment get aid. Shouldn't it be the owner of the apartment? Why can't she just rent another apartment? I understand that her possessions are probably damaged, but there are furnished apartments.
rlz wrote:

Why??? Because no one is responsible for anything anymore, except the tax payers for the handouts the government makes. That is why!!!
Years ago it was each individual's responsibility to purchase insurance and save funds to cover themselves from unexpected loses. Now it is the government that covers those loses, especially if you are a minority or illegal.
On 1/29/2013 2:37 PM, rlz wrote:

How much of the available (as in unrented) space in the region was also made inhabitable? One imagines there was no super-abundance of low- to mid-priced housing available anyway and w/ the number who have been displaced I'd suspect it's nearly impossible to find...
The assistance to the renter is for a differing purpose than that for the landlord--they have different needs, clearly.
Now the questions of how much of this is or should be Federal government responsibility is a totally different subject than what is currently authorized under FEMA and other assistance programs.

Part of the problem may be a lack of rental units. We had property in NOLA following Katrina that was suddenly in demand. We placed relatives in that property but other were getting offers or 300%+ over pre Katrina rents.
Property several hundred miles away had long waiting list.
As a landlord, I've lived with this hypocricy for decades.
The reason why tenants qualify for disaster relief is because every politician knows that for every voting landlord in his district, there are on average, 50 to 100 voting tenants.
So, when that politician gets millions of dollars in disaster relief handed to him by the federal government, he's going to want to ensure that the rules to qualify for that relief help HIM out too. That means giving that money out to the most people so they'll all remember him fondly come re-election time.
So, no red blooded politician in a democracy is going to give $1,000,000 to one landlord when he can give 1000 tenants $1000 each.
It's this kind of policy making that trumps fairness in a democracy because people vote for whoever's going to help them the most, not the guy who's high moral convictions won't let him bend the rules in someone's favour.
--
nestork

On 1/29/2013 9:07 PM, nestork wrote:

I believe you're referring to the P.L.L.C.F. infesting government right now. Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks, the acronym saves a lot of typing. Those types are anti business and will do whatever they can to hurt property owners such as you by saddling you with outrageous and expensive rules, regulations and taxes. O_o
TDD

Should anyone get aid? If you agree that some should, then an apartment dweller may be entitled to some assistance for the loss of possessions, same as a house owner.
Furnished apartments would not necessarily have everything that was lost. They certainly don't have clothing, personal care items, perhaps a wheelchair, etc. If you can find an apartment at all right now. Tough getting hotel rooms since so many people are displaced.
Assuming you find one, you now have moving expenses for what you do own.

Why would an apartment dweller be entitled to aid? That's what insurance is for. It's the renters responsibility to obtain insurance -- not the taxpayers duty to pay because the renter didn't want to.

Why should the taxpayer be on the hook for moving expenses? If they have lost everything they have nothing to move. If they didn't lose everything they have no reason to move.
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:17:48 -0600, Gordon Shumway

Read my first sentence again. If a homeowner is eligible, a renter should be for the same set of circumstances. If a renter should have insurance as you say, so should the homeowner and thus, no one gets aid.

Not a question if they lost everything or not. It is a question of whether or not the building is inhabitable. You could be on the third floor, have no loss at all, but the firs two floors are wiped out and you can't live there. We can make up all sorts of scenarios all day long, but unless we know actual circumstances, it is all pure speculation. Go find a real case and we can debate that.

Is it possible to get house insurance in New Orleans these days?

}Is it possible to get house insurance in New Orleans these days?
Yes, flood insurance is dear. BTW I don't think (not checked in years) there is no option for flood insurance for renter.
The big problem is changing zoning and permitting. We had multiple problem and finally just fixed things. If we were questioned the responce was 'it was that way before the storm'.

It's an issue over here too. Some places you can't get flood insurance at all. Our gov. is dabbling in the process but completely ineffectual. (As usual).
On 1/31/2013 1:02 AM, harry wrote:

Much like your dabbling in international relations eh, Harry. ^_^
TDD

# # It's an issue over here too. Some places you can't get flood insurance # at all. # Our gov. is dabbling in the process but completely ineffectual. (As # usual).
Maybe that's a clue for you to focus on the (many and far greater) shortcomings of your country.

It's quite simple. It's about buying votes. Politicians believe the recipients will vote for them.
The same as immigration. They could stop it tomorrow but all politicians actually want them (for different reasons)