OT Safety Deposit Box (at a bank)

Page 4 of 5
I worked in a bank and I read the obits every day, hoping to see my boss's name there.
If you have important info on your computer, backing it up onto CD or DVD and storing the disks off-site in a safety deposit box is a good idea in case of fire, flood, tornado, burglary, etc. Or you could just leave the disks at your office, in your gym locker, at a friend's house...
If the banks do read the obits, how do they know it's their customer? Don't people named John Smith die every day?
On 3/2/2011 3:21 PM, SteveB wrote:

I have seen family members raid their parents home before the funerals to glom onto every little thing they wanted for themselves. I have also seen my own family be entirely open, selfless and generous in taking care of our parents' estates. Another person, at his death, had a list in his wallet of all the financial assistance given to his children forever....I made a decision that day that if my kids ever needed money, and I was able and willing to help them, there would be no loans. If I could afford to lose it, a chance with a loan, I could afford to give it and there would be no more to the issue to poison our relationship like "owing" money. If a kid asked for money and I could not or would not help, there would also be a fair and reasoned discussion...might be the reason all of my kids can have differences, tension, and then discuss them and get it settled and still love each other.
On 3/3/2011 8:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

I'll second that. I don't have kids, but I do have underemployed siblings, and a kid sister that hit college age at a time when our parents happened to be broke. A year after she graduated, she asked about when I expected her to repay me, and I told her that I hadn't kept track, but it was now her turn when the next generation hit college age. That is what money is for, isn't it? Taking care of your own?
--
aem sends...

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 08:26:03 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

My mother asked each one of us what furniture and "stuff" we wanted of hers and burned in our names and the date it was "given" on the back. There were no arguments when she died.
When my MIL died, her step kids made asses of themselves. One stole a rocking char that my wife had explicitly said she wanted. We told them to take anything they wanted of their father's, and we sold the most of the rest. They were pissed that they got no money. There wasn't any (maybe $5K at the end). They blew it all.

I have no problems with loans. If it's not paid back, fine. If it is, there is that much more than can be put to other good uses. Dependence isn't a good thing, IMO.
On-line backup is only as secure as the company's financial situation allows them to be- although admittedly unless they go broke right around the time you need your data you have time to replace them. From what I read in the NY Times, though, it takes a long time for an initial backup if you have, say, 1 tb of video files. Time as in months and months with a DSL connection.
But if your house burns down and thus your internet connection's also gone, let's say you move to a new apt and buy a computer. How long will it take to get a new internet connection and then download all of your data? I'd prefer to have it all on DVDs. Worst case I pay a HS kid to spend a day swapping disks to recover my data, assuming I left the disks elsewhere (as I do).
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:12:44 -0800 (PST), Shaun Eli

USB hard drives are *cheap*. Don't bother with CDs or DVDs.
CDs and DVDs are almost free. You'd need two USB hard drives to have a continuous backup off-site.
I mostly work on the same files so incremental backup on a weekly basis is quick and easy. Though I have thought of getting a second external hard drive and just swapping them back and forth as backups.

CDs and DVDs have lifespans, sometimes a lot shorter than one would expect. With the larger hd's now at very reasonable prices, that's a good way to go. sheesh, we can get flash drives these days bigger than the hard drives on our old computers in the nineties.
SteveB
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10 http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
Steve B wrote:

Flash drives have lifetimes, too. Their lifetimes are based on usage, not bit rot. Depending on the dye and the CD-drive, a CD can last decades or more (or only a few weeks). A Flash Drive is good for at least a few thousand read-write cycles.

More than hundreds of thousands of *write* cycles (unlimited reads). If you use the drive for backup you'll never exceed its lifetime.
<stuff snipped>

Plus, you can get 16GB micro-mini-SDHC/DX cards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDXC
for $32 or less now and a form factor much smaller than a postage stamp and thinner than a dime. $2 a GB for something that takes essentially no space in a safety deposit box and is random access and direct-readable, to boot.
According to wikiP they are 11.0mm by 15.0mm by 1.0mm thick with a volume of 165sq mm and a mass of 0.27 grams. The standard supports 2TB - we'll see. Right now, 16GB is enough. First started seeing them in cellphones and video pen recorders, now they're everywhere. Not sure if they're all the same - the ones I get are labeled Transflash or TF. For a guy who used to work with 5MB Bernoulli carts, the idea that I can fit 3 million Bernoulli disk's (about 8 x 12 x 1") worth of data on something you could hide between two quarters is pretty amazing. In a year or two I might even deem them reliable, but it's too early to tell. So far, no bit errors when copying.
The real problem with typical offsite backups is that you've got a bootable image for a burned up machine. That sometimes turns into a royal panic hunting for a machine to restore to when you've got to recover data quickly. Data and programs are horribly intermingled in typical systems and then the OS ties that all to the particular hardware it is running on. So a backup Ghost type image made on one machine usually won't boot on machine with even a modest configuration change. Things get even dicier when the client is two or three versions behind the latest software version. Ebay has been a godsend for many, allowing them to scarf up exactly the same machine they used to have for a decent discount. Of course, that's all most policies will give them for the dead machines, so it's still a hassle.
-- Bobby G.

VERY amazing!!!

If only gas mileage, 401K income or solar panel efficiency matched the gains in memory capacity in the last few decades. A 2 TB hard disk costs $100 these days. I remember paying $600 for one of the early 20MB drives. It would take 1000 of them to equal 2TB (I think!) - that would be $600,000 in 20MB drives.
-- Bobby G.

agree!
computing power has become cheap
and good thing too!
On 3/10/2011 9:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Now if decent connections at home would get cheap, I could work from home a couple days a week, and save some gas money.... (Trying to run a VPN client through a 384 pipe just Does Not Cut It.)
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

As an aside, have you tried Mikogo (mikogo.com)? It's a remote-control or demonstration tool that does not require installation on the remote computer and is free, even for commercial use.
On 3/10/2011 11:38 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Not An Option, sadly. Company (the Feds) machine. I only still have admin rights on it because they forgot about me, but when I get issued a replacement sometime this year, it will be locked down hard.
-- aem sends...
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 21:13:21 -0800 (PST), Shaun Eli

So they're twice nothing. So what? CDs are too unreliable.

I cannot imagine needing $6000 in lawyer costs unless it was a huge or complicated estate. Or a shady lawyer taking advantage of a situation.
Maybe we've just been lucky, but neither my wife no my family has never argued over what little estate there was amongst parents. I guess modest means has some advantages.
On 3/2/2011 10:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Lawyer fees are typically 3% of the value of the estate. Typically your estate is going to pay that and more if you use a lawyer who has a Saturday morning show on TV and his picture on buses telling you how they are going to "help you".
They close the deal by charging a really small fee for their "advice" in creating a complicated will that insures lots of work for them. Since lots of people shop on price they think they just got a super deal.
This isn't unusual and just happened in the case of my sister in laws mothers' estate. She said the mother was impressed she was only charged $50 by the guy who has his picture on every bus and billboard.
Her mother passed on and it took almost a year to address the details of a small estate because of the way the lawyer crafted the will. After six months she called to ask the status and there was a line item on his $8,000 bill for that "phone consultation".

That and understanding how to avoid lawyers.