Page 2 of 3

Link, please...? -----
- gpsman

http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/votinginperson.html
Nuts, eh?
On Oct 25, 1:33pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

No, just wrong... so far... -----
- gpsman
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:23:29 -0700 (PDT), gpsman

In Florida you can vote with any picture ID from this list
Florida driver’s license Florida identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles United States passport Debit or credit card Military identification Student identification Retirement center identification Neighborhood association identification Public assistance identification.
http://election.dos.state.fl.us/voting/voting-info.shtml

http://www.alabamavotes.gov/VoterID.aspx?m=voters

Interesting. Thanks. They told me it needed to be a g5overnment-issued photo ID when we moved there. It does, here in Georgia.
http://www.sos.georgia.gov/GAPhotoID/default.htm

I think they had reason to be upset. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphilis#Tuskegee_and_Guatemala_studies Something else about your history not generally known.

Land of the free? Heh Heh.

I shouldn't mock. We had a similar thing in the UK when the labour party introduced postal voting which was/is wide open to fiddles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_voting#Controversy

Just as I thought. It's all just emotion and nonsense. That video is NOT an example of anyone who is legally allowed to vote being prevented from voting. It's just one sentence from a PA state representative. He's saying "Voting ID will allow Romney to win PA" BFD. Here's the obvious meaning. He, like many others, believe the Democrats have been having voter drives where a lot of people are fraudulently signed up to vote. There have been plenty of investigations where people who are paid $1 for each person they register, have in the past signed up totally bogus people, signed up the same person multiple times, etc. The voter ID law just requires a person to present a photo ID in order to vote. Of course only a total lib loon would consider that voter suppression. Is it driver suppression to require a photo ID on a driver's license? Or to cash a check at a bank?
Now as to fact, here are just two examples of potential voter fraud that is going on:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/07/lib-group-sends-out-pre-filled-voter-registration-forms-to-dogs-dead-people /
http://thehayride.com/2012/06/lets-just-let-every-illegal-dead-guy-and-cartoon-character-vote /
Requiring a simple photo ID which any legitimate person either has or can easily obtain would prevent people from showing up at a polling place claiming to be one of those registered dead people.

Which of course is not true. For example, Florida did a search and quickly found 2,700 non-citizens registered for example, which is clearly not a non-existant problem. For a good discussion of the problem:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/4/illegal-voters-the-winning-edge /
Critics point to the fact that of the 2,700 non-citizens the effort has uncovered thus far, 58 percent appear to be Hispanic. This, they argue, is evidence of the type of discriminatory impact that brings Floridas efforts under the purview of the Justice Department. This misreads the intent of the law. The 1973 Voting Rights Act was never meant to apply to illegal aliens, and the fact that the majority of unlawfully registered noncitizens are Hispanic tracks with the fact that most of the illegals in Florida are Hispanic. Furthermore, the unlawfully registered aliens have been casting votes. Of the 1,600 registered illegals in Miami-Dade County thus far identified, around two-thirds have actually cast ballots. This is troubling for an extra reason: Illegal-voter participation is much higher than the general publics.
Illegal or erroneous voter registration is a national problem. A study by the Pew Center on the States, released in February, found 24 million flawed voter registrations nationwide, or one in eight registrations. These include inaccurate or duplicate records, people registered in two or more states and almost 2 million voters who are on the books even though they are deceased. The number of bad registrations is daunting; 24 million is larger than the winning margins of the last five presidential races combined. If the 2012 race is close, the potential impact of fraudulent votes is magnified.
Things like the registration laws passed by the Repubs in Florida that virtually criminalized registering voters are another example. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/us/judge-to-block-changes-in-florid ...
The focus of the NY Times in the above is on a FL law that requires completed voter registration forms to be turned in within 2 days of being completed. Under current law, it's apparently 10 days. It's not clear to me what the core issue is there, the reason for wanting to shorten it, etc. But in a case like that, it would seem reasonable that some number of days in between would be a compromise. In any case, it's hard for me to believe that such a simple requirement that completed forms have to be turned in within 2 days is a serious impedement to legally registering voters.

Bob F wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/us/judge-to-block-changes-in-florida-voter-registration.html?_r=0 While no one in favor of a picture-id requirement has ever (to my knowledge) advocated voter suppression as a reason, I suspect some harbor that idea. Even if they do, so what? There are many, many ways of legally suppressing a vote*, this would just be one more.

NRA cards? What's that?
Now my state (Texas) has a picture-ID law (temporarily blocked) that accepts a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) but not a student-ID, which may be what you're talking about. The difference is that a CHL is issued by the state (the same department that issues drivers' licenses) while a student-ID is not. For those student-IDs that ARE issued by a state school, none have a birthdate or address and, as such, are less than acceptable for voter identification.
As for your claim that picture IDs disenfranchise the poor, you're probably right to some extent. The fix, some would say, is to reduce the number of poor! This is what the picture ID proponents are endeavoring to do by seeing that the right kind of candidates are elected.
---------- * Legal ways to suppress votes (that I have experienced) - Hiring off-duty police officers to stand outside minority polling places with a frown and a clipboard. - Allocating too few voting machines in opposition precincts. - Appointing fierce-looking poll watchers. - In one election, we mailed over 30,000 envelopes that looked like bills. Inside was an innocuous advertisement. Believe it or not, over 8,000 of these were returned by the post office marked "moved," "deceased," "unknown this address," etc. These were then given to our party's poll watchers in the addressee's voting precinct. When the named voter showed up, he or she was challenged with an indisputable federal government bit of evidence. Probably the majority of these 8,000 shrugged their shoulders and left to have a malt and a toke.

I live in a state that requires picture ID. DL or other state-issued ID is required and it's not blocked. I had to show ID four years ago where I last lived. This is nothing new.

The ID is simple to get. The state has been actively going to the people to get them registered. All this is a bunch of leftist bullshit because it hurts their chances at voter fraud, which they're so fond of.

registered.

The operative word here is prosecuted. Our local TV station found hundreds in our county and some were even interviewed on TV. All they did was compare people who declined jury duty because they were not citizens and then voted. They turned out to be aliens when they were investigated.

That is total bullshit. There is no photo ID "NRA card".

Maybe that is because the Republicans have most of the states with the most aliens (legal and illegal). The notable exception is California where you have as many people voting for a living as you do working for a living. The question is how many of them are legal. Our government systems to verify citizenship and legal alien status are so broken that they are virtually useless (E-Verify is a joke)
At my wife's company they found an illegal worker who passed all of the government tests and yet she had not one but TWO seemingly valid green cards with SSNs, driver's licenses and a pocket full of ID. One was on welfare, the other one worked. Both voted. She was in the country illegally. The only way they found her was one of her peers ratted her out.
La Migra said they would "look into it". From past experience, that means nothing will happen.
On Oct 24, 7:37pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Obama had no alternative but to see the wars out. It should be apparent to anyone with even half a brain how pointless the whole business was. It was necessary to occupy Japan for forty years to straighten them out. It would be necessary to occupy Afghanistan for twice that at least to have any effect.
I think the UK has a misplaced sense of loyalty to the USA. But it's becoming apparent that you a have been governed by lunatics in the republican party. And might be yet again. Y'have to ask yourself how can anyone who believes in the mormon crap be other than a lunatic? Could he be madder then Bush?
Lawyers are bloodsuckers too.
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 06:51:12 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Different rules today for a different American culture. Now we fight to lose, rather than win.
And we're good at it. We haven't won an armed conflict since WWII (except for Grenada in 1983).
On Oct 24, 9:25am, "Stormin Mormon"

No. One way to tell VC from farmers was velocity and direction. -----
- gpsman

Yes. Actually, it's preferred by those doing the shooting. -----
- gpsman

I think so. I recently saw a documentary about WWII in Okinawa and as one old US Army soldier said it was kill or be killed. The documentary said the Japanese soldiers showed no mercy killing our soldiers so I interpret this as you kill in any way you can or you may not get another chance.
micky wrote:

Certainly. The runaway is running to get a gun. Duh.
"So, officer Smith," asked the shooting team investigator, "is it your statement that the you quickly followed the suspect down the hall into a bedroom where the suspect retrieved a large-caliber handgun from a dresser drawer and pointed it in your direction. And you, in fear of your life, discharged your service weapon in his direction?"
"Yeah, like I told you, the perp went for his piece and I smoked him."
micky wrote:

You're kidding, right?
--

dadiOH