OT, rules of combat, WWII especially

Page 1 of 3
Combat, the TV show, is back on the air on ME TV, a network shown on broadcast channels in a growing number of cities. All the shows are from the 50's and 60's, including many half hour sitcoms.
In an episode of Combat, the Germans attack a train station held by British and American troops, killing many Allied soldiers and losing many of their own, but they are beaten back. They are sure to attack again.
Is it permitted under the rules of war (in effect in WWII, and other times?) to shoot them while they are running away? In the back.
On 10/24/2012 5:40 AM, micky wrote:

Of course, even cops shoot fleeing felons. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 06:49:26 -0500, The Daring Dufas

In the Combat episode, they stopped shooting when the Germans started running away. But it wasn't a documentary.
On 10/24/2012 10:16 AM, micky wrote:

Probably to save ammunition. My late roommate's father who is still living and in his 80's, was a paratrooper during The D Day invasion during WWII. He said all the paratroopers were loading their rifles with armor piercing ammunition and he didn't care what the German soldiers hid behind, he was going to get them with those rounds. He said the AP bullets went right through any tree or wall that was in the way. If you ever have a chance to sit down and talk to an old soldier about WWII, you should take the time because there aren't many of them left. Both my parents were veterans of The Army during WWII as was my paternal great uncle and they are all gone now. My contemporaries from the Vietnam era are dwindling away too but there's still time for the youngsters to learn about what they went through by speaking to them in person. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:59:07 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Sad that his son died before he did.

I love the tv shows and movies where people in a gunfight hide behind upholstered furniture.

That's a good idea. My father was in WWI, but he only shot novacaine and drilled teeth. I know 2 vets who were a pilot and a navigator, and I was thinking just today of letting them know that "12-O'clock High" is on broadcast TV in Baltimore starting about a month ago.
One has told stories to a group I belong to, while we're waiting for things to start, but he probably has a lot more. Maybe I can find some infantry too.

I'm named for my uncle who died in WWII on the ship home from the South Pacific. From a tropical disease though, not from enemy action He served also as a dentist in WWI but he was still drafted into WWII.
My

My brother doesn't like to talk about it, and there's nothing I could do to change him. He was a radiologist in Viet Nam for a year,, in a combat zone, In CuChi, while he was there the VC blew up the officer's mess and the enlisted men's latrine (or vice versa), right in the fort, using the VC tunnels I guess. And he showed us a photo of the tent he shared with sandbags two or three feet high around it.. So I guess he said a little bit. He did tell us about non-combat things, about R&R in Thailand, and about getting tailor-made suits at a low price on the base (a tailor took measurements there but they were actually made in Hong Kong or Singapore), and about going to Saigon and somehow getting steaks from the commissary there, and about riding in helicopters with no doors. .
I bought the book The Tunnels of CuChi, but I haven't read it yet.

-snip-

IMO, the single best book about Vietnam, and one of the best books about war in general is Tim O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried' -- it is not as much about guns and explosions as it is about the human mind.
[Can't remember if 'Going after Cacciatto' is a short story in that book or a separate novel- but it is also a good read.]
Tim was Army, but stationed just south of me in VN and our paths sort of crossed, though in different years.
I was a Marine so for me to heap praise upon that doggy is high praise indeed.<BG>
Jim

I've been privileged to be a hospice volunteer with more than a few vets. Takes a while but once you are viewed as a friend you are often seen as a friend-confessor. Due to hospice rules I'm limited in what I can repeated (basically nothing) so I'm told things that have not been shared with anyone for 60+ years.
It's wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time. The key is not what you are told but that you take the time to listen.
My sons have joined me to take these old men out for an evening. Don't know how many drinks that are never drunk that I've paid for but watching the years fall away and the memories come back are well worth the expense.
The fact is all we (folk like you and I) have is time and what better way to spend it than making an old man happy.
Some do it through hospice others though a friend of a friend still other through senior centers who recruit volunteers.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:59:07 -0500, The Daring Dufas

That sounds right and it was more than just paratroopers. We had about 10,000 rounds of 30-06 in M-1 clips in bandoleers on a ship I was on in 1965 that was 20 year old WWII ammo. It was all AP. I understand that was standard issue toward the end of the war. It was more effective but also steel was more available than lead.
We shot up most of it , guys took some home and the rest was dumped in the Atlantic, since it was "use or throw over the side" after 20 years

Of course. Why would any rules of engagement allow an enemy to retreat so that they could re-group and later come back, resume the fight and kill you?
Wasn't Vietnam like that?
Of course. Why would any rules of engagement allow an enemy to retreat so that they could re-group and later come back, resume the fight and kill you?
On Oct 24, 9:25am, "Stormin Mormon"

How about the war on terrorism? We've released skunks from Gitmo only to have them show up as terrorists again. There was even a report last month that one Al-Qaeda released from Gitmo is a suspect in the Bengahzi attack. With a rap sheet pages long with involvement with terrorists including even Bin Laden, across half a dozen countries, he had already been convicted of violent crimes in Libya, but had managed to escape. US finally tracked him down in Pakistan. After a few years in Gitmo, he was released and turned over to Libya when Qadafi was still in power under the condition that he remain in jail. While he was in jail, who do you think was visiting him, making sure he was treated OK? Christopher Stevens. A year later, he was released together with a bunch of similar ilk in some kind of move to appease the opposition.
Yes, you are correct. And, even more recently than the Vietnam conflict. I guess we can also mention the Mexico border, where we practice trap and release, there, too.
I'd like to see things done a bit differently in the USA. But, I doubt much will change. I'm losing hope.
How about the war on terrorism? We've released skunks from Gitmo only to have them show up as terrorists again. There was even a report last month that one Al-Qaeda released from Gitmo is a suspect in the Bengahzi attack. With a rap sheet pages long with involvement with terrorists including even Bin Laden, across half a dozen countries, he had already been convicted of violent crimes in Libya, but had managed to escape.
US finally tracked him down in Pakistan. After a few years in Gitmo, he was released and turned over to Libya when Qadafi was still in power under the condition that he remain in jail. While he was in jail, who do you think was visiting him, making sure he was treated OK? Christopher Stevens. A year later, he was released together with a bunch of similar ilk in some kind of move to appease the opposition.
On Oct 24, 6:56am, "Stormin Mormon"

You _could_ make on small change for mankind QUITE TOP POSTING
Harry K

.
I think a few years in Gitmo would be enough to convert anyone into a terrorist. Just as a war in Iraq created thousands of terrorists.
But that's thinking that is far too advanced for Yanks. Land of the simple minded.

Perhaps you were asleep when the UK deployed 45,000 troops to Iraq. They joined the USA and about 20 other countries in the Iraq coalition forces. Or more likely, being the rabble rousing skunk that you are, you just prefer to distort the truth.

om...
Yep. Bliar/Brown/Bush are all lying war criminals.They all need to be arrested and tried and executed. Somebody tried to do a citizens arrest on Bliar a while back. Romney will become another if he gets to be president. Fortunately it doesn't seem likely.
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 09:27:01 -0700 (PDT), harry

You forgot Obama who has followed the Bush Iraq roadmap to the day and actually increased our involvement in Afghanistan. UK has been right there with us every step of the way.
I am not sure Romney is losing. They have it as a dead heat right now. This will be settled in the electoral college and perhaps the courts. The lawyers are already clearing their schedules

I'd like to see some examples of legal voters that Romney has kept from voting. In the libs world, anyone that thinks someone voting should show proper indentification falls into that category. The only recent example I can think of where people may have been kept from voting was when the New Black Panthers were weilding baseball bats outside the polling place in Philly. Seems the Obama administration was OK with that, as they decided not to pursue the case. Did what the Black Panthers did upset you?

Our state has a voter ID law that has been bad mouthed by you and other liberals, plus challenged in court. Last weekend's paper had a full page list of acceptable ID's. The list included your name on any utility bill, bank statement, hunting/fishing license, medicare/ medicaid card, tax form, church statement, and virtually anything else you got in the mail. There is no way anyone could live in the USA and not have a single thing with their name on it.

...and, of course, the Democrats are teaching people how to forge these documents so people can vote illegally.