OT Romney picks Ryan

Page 3 of 6

oh hell, maybe I just may a simple typo. I understand that happens sometimes
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

To me, and others, it matters a great deal that you got the number of congress-critters wrong. It fatally wounds your entire argument. If you err on small matters, it's not only likely, but probable, that your main argument is likewise wrong. In other words, if you assert completely unbelievable things of minor importance, you are probably wrong on your central message.
From now on, when you put forth some poignant and heart-felt belief, you will get the rejoinder: "Are you as sure about that as you were that there were 700 members of Congress?"
What you SHOULD have done was respond: "Of course there are 535 members of Congress. I can't imagine how I came up with such an absurd number. I apologize for the mistake."

The number of members of Congress is irrelevant. It in no way changes the validity of the point I was trying to make. In fact since there are fewer than I said, it seems even more ludicrous that nothing gets done
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

You're having a hard time wrapping your mind around the notion that if you assert a falsehood in a small matter, the veracity of the large matter is, in the minds of most people, compromised.
Just like today, when Joe Biden, campaigning in Virginia, shouted out: "With you we can win North Carolina again, and if we do, we win the election if we win you..."
Not knowing where he was, caused me to lose respect for the incumbent Vice President.
But I'm understanding. When Obama said "We're campaigning in all 57 states." I cut him some slack because there WERE 57 venues in which the Democrats were holding primaries. They were: * The 50 states, of course * The District of Columbia * Puerto Rico * Guam * The US Virgin Islands * Patagonia * Rhodesia * I forget, but I think the last was Shangri-La.
On 8/14/2012 7:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:

And he can remind you that Mitt ROMNEY gave the McCain people 23 years of returns, not the 28 you claimed. If you are trying to prove you can be as small-minded and hypocritical as our elected officials then I say "Mission Accomplished!" Heckuva job, Bubby!
--
Sherlock

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

I never claimed my error was a typographical mistake. Where'd you get that idea?

I could have sworn I read one of your posts stating that was the reason you put 28 in your reply. If not, then I apologize

I'm practicing to be a part of the rymney clique

everyone tries to spin things. some of us are just more accurate than others
On 8/14/2012 7:29 AM, HeyBub wrote:

So when you wrote on Tuesday Aug 14th at 10:52 that "Romeny (sic) provided 28 years of tax returns" when the real number is 23*, you were proving that everything you write is false. When you act like a blowhard mate, you make it so damn easy to knock the wind out of your sails. Zing! Payback is a real bitch.

Look around and ask yourself you takes YOU seriously when you lecture people not to do exactly what you do?

Great advice. Now if you would only practice what you preach!
For the record a LOT more than 536 or 700 people work in Congress:
In the year 2000, there were approximately 11,692 personal staff, 2,492 committee staff, 274 leadership staff, 5,034 institutional staff, and 3,500 GAO employees, 747 CRS employees, and 232 CBO employees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_staff
--
Sherlock

*
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57492649-503544/mccain-reid-is-wrong-about-romneys-tax-returns /
Sherlock.Homes wrote:

I made a typographical error, for which I apologized.
I know there are a lot more people who work in the legislative branch than just the members of Congress: Once upon a time I was an Administrative Assistant to a U.S. Senator. There are also more entities in the legislative branch than were part of your tabulation. The Library of Congress, Architect of the Capitol, the US Botanic Garden, and more. But your point is well taken.
On 8/15/2012 8:21 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Spoken like a gentleman, sir. Now, are you going to give me a fish license?
http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/finalripoff.htm

Jes sayin'
I think it's been a long time since a Representative or a Senator actually wrote a bill themselves. Lobbyists do it for them. [wink]
"Sponsored" and not "passed" is what I think Mal meant when referring to what Ryan did. It will be fun to see Biden get eaten at the VP debates. How that plagiarist ever got beyond dogcatcher astounds me. But I guess it's to be expected with Timmy Taxcheat Geithner as Secretary of the Treasury.
http://www.taxcheatstamps.com /
We should be able to mix and match VP and Prez. Robama and Romden. O'Ryan and Bidney?
Ever see that movie with Rosie Grier about the guy with two heads? That's what we need for President.
--
Sherlock

Sherlock.Homes wrote:

We've got one with two faces. Does that count?

Two faces and *far* more feces.

name one that hasn't had two faces
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Heh! Good point.
The problem is this: we (the public) evaluate our politicians by our standards and do not understand that government folks - the "guardian" mentality - operate within a completely different set of rules and a different philosophy. These rules have been honed by 5,000 years of trial-and-error and experience. For example:
The Commercial Mindset - "Cooperate for the sake of the task." In order for the job to reach a successful outcome, the participants should cooperate toward reaching the agreed-on result.
The Guardian Mindset - "Deceive for the sake of the task." If you tell the truth, you may lose your country and/or your life.
After I read "Systems of Survival" by Jane Jacobs, I never looked at politicians the same way again.

Rather late to try to be spinning that as a defense, isn't it? If that were what you meant, then it would have been your first reply back when it was pointed out that there are not 700 members in Congress. That you only bring it up now shows that:
A - You really don't have a clue as to the number of members of Congress
B - You're not even very bright at trying to weasel out of it.
Given the above, I agree with all the others that it shows that you're pontificating on big things while being clueless about the most basic facts.

It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so R. Reagan
Reagan didn't know Obama and Pelosi.

strange that it doesn't bother you that his biggest legislative victories were for such mundane things. of course I guess we could credit him with organizing the downgrading of the Fed credit rating

Nope, but I also put that (as did S&P BTW) on the Dems, too. It was pretty much the intransigence on the part of BOTH parties that lead S&P to issue their downgrade (which hasn't been followed by the others and has had no apparent effect in real life. "The downgrade reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and ****the administration*** recently agreed to falls short of what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilize the government's medium-term debt dynamics," it said. (Emphasis mine). It described the decision as a judgment about the nation's leaders, writing that "the gulf between the political parties" had reduced its confidence in the government's ability to manage its finances.