OT Road side vigil

Nothing about the photo would be "important." Taking the photo, leaving flowers or being at the site are a show of devotion. If someone happens to be at the site, I don't see why being represented in someone else's memories would be objectionable.
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:08:04 PM UTC-7, Metspitzer wrote:

What I learned at my age: When we laid my grandmother to rest her headstone wasn’t ready. When the headstone was placed there was some confusion as to where exactly she was buried. The first question that we were asked was if we had any pictures during the burial. Take lots of pictures, even in a burial, you may need them some day.
On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:23:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Re: OT Road side vigil:

I would turn off the flash if at all possible.

Is your niece going to distribute the photo? I suppose she's going to post it on Facebook, which I think might be disrespectful. But let's assume it's not. Are the people were standing there going to see it on your niece's facebook site? Do they even know your niece?
Or are you saying the would have like to have been included in a photo they will never see and will never know exists? If only this last question has the answer Yes, that's not enough reason to include them.
If she thinks it's disrespectful, her opinion prevails, because a) she was taking the picture and b) it's her friend who was killed,
If you are asking on an abolute basis, is it disrespecful? Well clearly there is no simple answer that it's not, because your niece disagrees. And you seem to disagree with the other answer. So there is no one correct answer.
If you're asking, were i one of those standing there, would I find it disrespectful for someone to take my picture there wihout asking me if it is all right. Probably not, but it took a while to decide on that, so I think others might say, Yes,I would. While the law permits taking the picture of those on the street, that doesn't mean it's always the right thing to do.
When I was in Guatamala in 1971, I was told the Indians didn't like having their picture taken. Later, I saw a man in distinctive tribal dress, including striped pants and other identifiable things that only his tribe wore. He was coming towards me on the other side of a 2 lane road. We were both walking. I raised my camera, hesitated, and then took his picture. I lowered the camera to crank the film, raised it again and paused again. This time he waved me off. I'm pretty sure he didn't mind one picture being taken, but two he thought was too many.

the photo would end up in her scrap book as well as on her Facebook. She didn't take the picture and I guess she was right. Better safe than sorry.
If I were visiting a family or a friend's vigil, I wouldn't object to being in photos.

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 9:08:04 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:

Since these roadside memorials are generally erected at the place the accid ent occurred, and the accidents usually occur on dangerous stretches of roa d, how smart were these people? How smart were you, rubbernecking and argui ng about taking pictures instead of concentrating on negotiating that dange rous stretch of highway with pedestrians present?
Mark my words, there will be a second roadside memorial for the idiot that got killed stopping to look at the first roadside memorial.