OT - Rest in peace, Stormin Norman.

The real Stormy dies, at age 78. http://www.allproudamericans.com/Norman-Schwarzkopf-Has-Died.html
He's one of my heros.
On 12/28/12 7:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I bet he didn't top post.
There was a time when Stormin Norman Schwartzkopf was the most popular guy in America. When spy satellite images revealed that the US Desert Storm forces could simply go around the Iraqi army and thereby avoid having to deal with potential Iraqi chemical and biological weapons, Norman thought "Thank You!" and led an assault that will go down in history as the most successful war ever fought.
I still remember watching the first evening of the war on CNN. CNN had just started up as a network, and this war was the first major news story they covered. On Saddam's orders, ONLY CNN was allowed to remain in Bagdad to cover the war for American television, and they got some amazing footage. This was the very first time America had used it's F117A stealth fighter, and they blinded the Iraqi missle batteries by taking out all their radar installations first. Once those radar installations were out, conventional bombers and fighters could operate more safely over Iraq. The Iraqi air force could do nothing except send their pilots to fly their MIG fighters to Iran rather than having them shot down. I expect every one of us remembers that first night where the Iraqi army in Bagdad was simply firing tracer bullets into the air hoping to hit something. They could hear the F117A's but at night, they couldn't see them, and so they were just shooting everywhere.
--
nestork

On 12/28/2012 9:44 PM, nestork wrote:

I wonder how much of the ordnance The Iraqis fired into the air fell on their own people in the cities killing them which of course they blamed on American bombers? O_o
TDD
'The Daring Dufas[_8_ Wrote: > ;2986849']

> their own people in the cities killing them which of course they blamed > on American bombers? O_o TDD
Probably none of those bullets would have actually killed anyone.
Mythbusters investigated that on one of their TV shows. They used a vertical wind tunnel to find the terminal velocity of a falling bullet. What they found was that bullets tumble as they fall because they don't have fins on the back to keep them pointed nose first like bombs do. And, it's that un-streamlined shape of a tumbling bullet that causes it to have a lot of wind resistance and a fairly low terminal velocity of only 200 mph or so. So, while a big bullet from an anti-aircraft gun would certainly give you a lump, or even knock you out, the bullet itself is only going as fast as a hockey puck in a slap shot, and so it would hurt if it hit you, but wouldn't be lethal.
Still, I considered it to be a senseless waste of ammunition. They may as well have been blind cuz they couldn't see what they were shooting at, which is good reason NOT to shoot.
--
nestork

On 12/30/2012 12:07 AM, nestork wrote:

Mythbusters didn't use military ammo in their show. I doubt anyone could stand as close as they did if military AA ordnance exploded in a fire. The most dangerous projectiles are fired from a gun at an angle regardless of caliber. ^_^
TDD
Yeah, if I recall, Mythbusters just used an ordinary rifle, like the kind you might use to hunt deer. I'm not sure that the results would be significantly different since in both cases there's nothing on either bullet to keep it from tumbling in freefall, and therefore reaching a low terminal velocity.
Still, I wouldn't want to be standing under anything that's metal, falling and headed directly for my fragile head.
PS: We had a large park two or three blocks away from my house when I was a kid. One end of the park was a playground and the other end had an oval running track on it. Most of the time there was never anyone in that park. A friend of mine, Mike Mosquin, wanted to show me how powerful his new fiberglass bow was, so he laid on his back in his yard, held back the arrow with his fingers and pulled the bowstring tight by pushing on the bow with his feet. He launched that arrow toward the park. We walked to the park and found the arrow stuck in the grass inside the oval track. That stuck me as a very dangerous thing to do since neither of us could see who, if anyone, was in the park. But, being all of 13 or 14 years old, we did it anyway. Luckily, no one got hurt. Still, I couldn't help but wonder if that arrow would have had the same penetrating force at the end of it's trajectory than near the beginning of it's trajectory. I still don't know for sure. The arrow was stuck in the ground, but (IIRC) it wasn't stuck in as deep as it would if it were shot into the ground from a closer distance.
--
nestork

On 12/30/2012 11:14 AM, nestork wrote:

There was a weapon in U.S. military inventory which was an air drop canister filled with 45cal bullets having fins and the canister was supposed to burst after dropping and disperse the fin stabilized bullets over a wide area. I'm not sure how effective the weapon was but I did come across a bin of the finned 45cal bullets in a military surplus store years ago. I've done a little searching on The Web but haven't found anything on it yet. Your friend's arrow was probably not heavy enough to bury itself deeply in a human but the English archers using the iron tipped arrows fired from their longbows centuries ago did a lot of damage to their opponents on the battlefield. ^_^
TDD

And yet people are regularly killed and injured by bullets fired into the air http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/24/how-dangerous-is-celebratory-gunfire As to the idiots at Mythbusters, their experiments are quite funny but also flawed when it comes to real science.

In fairness to Mythbusters, their demonstration showed the tumbling to be ONLY a concern if something was shot exactly straight up. They noted that wasn't gonna happen too often. Other than that, it was a possibility that it could strike someone.
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 08:52:44 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I didn't think Mormons died? Just proves that the Mormon God is defective!
Norman Schwarzkopf was Mormon? Really? I didn't know that. That makes him SUPER my hero.
wrote:>The real Stormy dies, at age 78.

I didn't think Mormons died? Just proves that the Mormon God is defective!