OT: Republican Liberty Caucus

Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus!

At:

you will find a list of objections to renewing the hysterically- generated Patriot Act (which President Wuss has apparently decided to continue).

Any card-carrying civil libertarian of any party or none could sign off of these recommendations.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Evidently not. It's still gushing.

Reply to
krw

I'm following the suggestion that ? was it you ? posted to put a shim between lid and tank. This based on my observation that water runs when tank lid is on; doesn't when it's off. Right now, I have about a

2" gap open. Monitoring.

This may seem trivial to people who live in plenty water areas, but the LA area is basically a desert; all water has to be brought in (Chinatown), and it's expensive, so people try to avoid leaks.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Funny that the guy who knows so much about what's wrong with everything in the whole world and how to fix all of it can't fix his own toilet. Maybe it's time to call a Tea Party member. I bet Sarah Palin could fix it.

Reply to
trader4

The article is either flat-out wrong or over-simplifies to the point of misrepresentation. For example, the first complaint says: "This section allows the FBI to wiretap a phone or any wireless communications, including internet broadband transmissions, without having to get a warrant or even provide the target's name or phone number. They can basically just tap into any communications they want with no due process and no court approval."

Section 206 actually permits intelligence agencies to undertake "roving" surveillance: they do not have to specify the exact facility or location where their surveillance will be done. Roving surveillance was already specified for criminal investigations under 18 U.S.C. § 2518(11), and section 206 brought the ability of intelligence agencies to undertake such roving surveillance into line with such criminal investigations.

In other words, "roving wiretaps" were already provided by law for criminal investigations. This section merely expanded that capability toward investigations of terrorists.

Just like wiretaps for criminal investigations, a warrant must issue first and be supported by sworn affidavits attesting to the nature of the alleged offense and the identity of the person being investigated. This is completely contrary to the claim of the cited article.

Reply to
HeyBub

Merely? MERELY!!! Thus blithely blowing the Constitution and the Bill of Rights out of the water!

Quis custodiat ipsos custodes?

expanded that capability toward

Who decides A PRIORI who is a "terrorist"?

I don't think that is true. And if it is on paper it is honored more in the breach than in the observance. These FISA courts rarely if ever denied a warrant, or even bothered to ask what it was in aid of.

You don't seem to be worried about a national witch-hunt that makes the Alien & Sedition Acts of 1798 look like Girl Scout rules.

Think it can't happen to you? When innocent people, including high government officials, can't get their names off no-fly lists?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Sigh. The problem with the original wiretap law was that it was written fifty years ago. It required a wiretap warrant to be issued by the federal judge in whose district the target telephone was located. What with 54 federal judicial districts in the country and coupled highly mobile users, cell phones, and the internet, this requirement became a logistical nightmare. Further, the target may actually be UNKNOWN!

Consider an intercept from a known terrorist organization or individual overseas coming in to a pre-paid celluar telephone.

This is settled law. The president (or his designee) decides. His decision is absolute under his Article II powers and cannot be gainsaid by Congress or the courts.

You don't have to wonder. Read the thing for yourself:

You may be right about warrants being merely (there's that word again) pro forma. If so, isn't that a sufficient argument to do away with warrants altogether?

Reply to
HeyBub

Oren-

Reply to
DD_BobK

Since we grow and ship all over the U.S. one-third of the crops consumed in the country., you might have to import your food from.... where? Or everybody cultivate their own jardin (Voltaire).

????

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

MIGRATE

all over the

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I call bullshit!

Reply to
krw

First, there aren't many crops grown in LA.

Second, your ratio is off. California provides a piddly 13% of agriculture receipts. That is, admittedly, twice as much as the next most productive state (Texas), and certainly more than, say, New Jersey, one must bear in mind that things (some things, most things, all things) are about twice as expensive in California.

Further, if you discount the value of Marijuana crops grown for private use or for medical purposes, the total agricultural output of California would probably rank somewhere around New Mexico.

Reply to
HeyBub

Who said LA? We are talking the huge Central Valley.

Cite?

That is, admittedly, twice as much as the next most productive

Cite?

If you're still willing to close down the huge output of the Central Valley, your prices for fresh produce are going to skyrocket across the country, plus there will be shortages.

NOTE: I''m no fan of giant agribusiness that buys their water -- if I am current on this -- for cheap prices that the govt. intended for small family farms of 140 acres. But Big Ag evidently has the clout to keep on ripping off the taxpayers.

HB

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Look at the sentence above. The poster to whom you responded was talking about LA. You expanded the area to all of California (I assume).

You can cite me. I can find the citation for there being more pot dispensaries in California than there are Starbucks coffee shops if you need it for something.

I'm not willing to close down the Central Valley; no one else is either. This is a straw man you erected when the discussion was about Los Angeles.

Reply to
HeyBub

AND YOUR HOME REPAIR QUESTIOIN IS? NOTE THE NAME OF THISE NG IS NOT "ot" LAZY ASS!

Reply to
Twayne