(OT) Replacing white numbers on a keyboard

Page 1 of 2
I have a computer keyboard with black keys, and white letters on them. Several of the letters have worn off the keys. I'm wondering if there is some sort of white permanent marker to use to put the numbers back, or something else?
Yea, I know keyboards are not that costly, but it works fine, so why replace it just because of a little paint.... Plus I like the feel of this one.
On 12/15/2014 11:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Google keyboard label stickers, there are options. No idea on a good brand though.
--
Froz...

Paint, if you want to take the trouble...
1. Get a grade school type water color kit
2. Apply the white paint rather heavily. You don't have to stay within the lines.
3. When the paint is dry, use a piece of damp muslin to wipe off the excess paint. Do it gently so that the paint in the recesses stays there.
You can do the same thing with oil paint...harder to do, lasts better. You can also do it with drying type drywall compound but it would tend to fill up the recesses which means the white would get dirtier faster.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Harbor Freight has white ink pens.
Auto wrecking yard guys use them to mark "09 Buick" kind of thing on parts.
About two bucks. Bring your 20% coupon. And be sure to get your free flash light.
On 2014-12-15 9:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

http://www.4keyboard.com
Lots of choice there
--
Dr. WTF

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:48:05 AM UTC-5, Doctor WTF wrote:

Only problem is that the stickers are $7 plus shipping. For the same or just a bit more you can get a whole keyboard on Ebay. Plus you don't have to stick them on.

Nice site. Thanks.
Jerry,
Print using the appopriate symbols using a good font and size. Cut out and apply using several coats of clear nail polish. You'll now have a keyboard where the tops of a few keys are white with black lettering but It costs nothing to do this.
Dave M.
On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:47:03 AM UTC-5, David Martel wrote:

s are

I would think it wouldn't be hard to find the appropriate letters in online images that were in reverse black/white, so that they would have the right color when printed.
On Monday, December 15, 2014 11:42:59 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

If you wore off the letters, chances are you know where each key is and don't need to re-do them. No?

In MOST cases the letters are nut recessed into the -lastic - they are just screened on (or thermal printed) You could use Lettraset and then put a coat of clear over them, but the cost of the lettraset approaches the cost of the keyboard.
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:47:21 -0500, "David Martel"

Just reverse print and you getr white letters on black backround.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote in

They sell little keyboard stickers at a low price. Problem is, I can't find then locally and the cost of shipping makes them too expensive for me otherwise.
So I use little pieces of white paper with the number in ink, fastened with a small piece of Scotch tape. They don't match the other keys and wear away all too soon but are better than blank keys.

Until your father visits and (tries to) use your blank keyboard (DAMHIKT).
Thomas wrote:

No. I'm not a touch typist by any means and most of the letters on this keyboard are gone. With my 2 or 3 finger typing style once I get indexed I can get by but finding the 'i' instead of 'o' or 'u' is iffy.
trader_4 wrote:

Precisely. Even better, most of the PS2 keyboards at work have been replaced by USB's. I scored a genuine IBM keyboard off an old AIX box. I just have to replace the current mess. iirc, this Linux version doesn't do hot swaps so I'll have to reboot.
On Monday, December 15, 2014 9:42:59 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

The very best place for information about every aspect of computer keyboards:
https://GeekHack.org
Regular labels placed on the fronts of the key caps will last a long time.
Instructables.com has an article on restoring the factory look, but it won't last long unless you coat the tops with something clear, and even that will wear off:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Restore-Painted-Letters-on-Keyboard-Keys/

Funny you mentioned the I and the O. Those two are worn off and are my biggest ones to mix up. Yea, I do know where the keys are, but it's earier to type when I can read the letters. I never learned to type the traditional way, but I can type fast just using a few fingers on each hand.
The letters are NOT recessed. They were just painted on. I will be looking for some of the stick on ones, if they are not too costly. But I'm not concerned about the font and all of that. I'd be happy to just use a fine point magic marker, if they were made in white.
I've heard about "paint sticks". but never used them, or know how they work. That was a consideration, but I'm not sure where they are sold. Otherwise, I may just take some oil paint and a small artists brush and do my best.
I was wondering about trying nail polish. I know they sell a metallic silver, and a brush is included. But I dont use nail polish (I dont have breasts) :) So I dont know much about it, except that it seems to be durable, and needs acetone to remove.
wrote: > I was wondering about trying nail polish. I know they sell a metallic

Nail polish is lacquer with color (and sometimes a filler) The brush that comes with it is way too big for your purpose. You would need a #1 or #0 round artist's brush. Maybe even 2/0.
http://www.misterart.com/chart-brush-sizes.html
--

dadiOH
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Just tell the checkout person at the market it's for your wife. Red lipstick can be very handy when fitting parts but I never was questioned about the purchase. Now going into JoAnn Fabrics looking for naugahyde to recover my motorcycle saddle can get a little strange... Michaels isn't much better.