OT: Replacement water heater for home (NSOT??)

Page 7 of 8
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 3:08:15 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If what she's saying is true, it is using a lot less gas, assuming the price of gas didn't change. She claims her bill went down by $80 a month when she switched to tankless. Maybe she can give us the actual numbers. I'm not buying it, not unless shes a laundromat or has some high whacked out nat gas rates.
If the tank is inside the house (in

Yes, any meat loss is bad.
- and in the winter just

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:16:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Who are you, IDIOT!
On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 4:38:52 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Before you call people idiot, it would be a good idea to go look at the specs. IDK if 10X is accurate, but tankless do use many times the gas flow rate of a tank type. On your gas stove, what size flame does it take to heat a quart of cold water to boiling in 15 minutes? What size flame does it take to heat a quart in 1 minute?
That's why you have to upgrade the gas supply when going to tankless. They require many times the gas flow rate and you can't put 10X gas through the same size piping. Capiche?
On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 16:38:41 -0400, Brooklyn1

No. Accurate,
On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 10:53:27 AM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Speaking of no brains, weren't you the one that also told us that common, cheap storage type gas water heaters can't work without AC?
tankless also require maintence, like cleaning the heat exchanger. they have gone high tech. requiring a knowledgable and pricey service tech.
i know a guy who spent 8 grand all in for a tankless install. his payoff time far exceeds the life of his tankless.
on regular tanks you can get a standard tank, but the come in different BTU ratings, and capacity cheap low btu 30,000 btu
my old tank was a 50 gallons 75,000 BTU. whe it leaked they no longer sell the 50 gallon size.
so i upgraded to a 75 gallon 75,000 btu tank. unlimited hot water had as many as 5 people living here with 2 washers..going all the time
if you go tankless with teenagers they can get hours long showers. and make your bills go up:(
On 6/4/2016 9:39 AM, Sky wrote:

In my experience, they spring a leak rather than just stop making hot water. Perhaps that is no longer true, but I do not wait for them to break before replacing them.

If it was a new furnace or a new a/c unit, I can see that would be a selling point. I'm not sure how much people think about water heaters, maybe it's different where you live.
I have a heating a cooling company that I trust in these matters, they installed an AO Smith model a couple of years ago, and it's fine. If you call those Emergency Hot Water companies, you will get something you might not like. YMMV, just my experience.

I hope it's fixed soon. Good luck.
nancy
On 6/4/2016 11:51 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

Thanks - grin! Good "service" people/companies are not easy to find :/ Just like very good car mechanics, when one has a valued and honest 'service' person/company, their worth is worth their price!
I've been very fortunate in that I've lived in this home for practically 20-years, along with its antique water heater, so . . . . I'm not surprised it's failed since it's more than likely 30+ years old!
AO Smith has been mentioned quite a few times when I've spoken (by phone) with various plumbing companies. Thankfully, the water heater replacement is not exactly an emergency, and I can take some time to do research and homework to learn what options there are within my budget constraints.
Sky
===============================Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ===============================
------=_Part_2_1112932984.1465090085806 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Which is why my last replacement was based on the age of the old one. It was close to 20 years old, not up to current code and not energy efficient. So I built replacement into the budget before I had a flood to have to deal with.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
On 6/4/2016 9:39 AM, Sky wrote:

The one time I did have to replace the WH in my trailer, it was about 20 degrees out, and 16 inches of snow. The leaky WH could not be ignored. I took my rear drive Dodge van to the store to buy another one. Used my snow blower to cut a path to the exterior WH door. Used Makita cordless and long high speed bits to drill holes in the old WH, and allow it to drain. New one went in OK. I used the snow blower to bury the old one in the yard and dealt with it when spring arrived. I was never so pleased for a hot bath after all that work in the cold. Wipe that <VBG> off your face. <SNARL>.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/4/2016 8:39 AM, Sky wrote:

What I'd do .... and probably will do when the time comes... Do some measuring and make some notes than go buy one that fits where the old one will have been. With a little luck you'll have the new one installed in less than an hour and good to go. Not that it matters but I remember when a 40 gal nat. gas was 99.99 and the T&P was another 8 bucks. Ironically Hot Water Heating and storage is rocket science if things go wrong.
On 6/4/2016 4:20 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

Thankfully, where the water heater is located - there are no "enclosures." Its location is open on three sides and abuts only on a single wall.
How the heck do I find a reliable and HONEST plumber who provides good service!? I'm trying to do my "homework" and ask all the folks I know personally - and also online (usenet, whatnot) - etc.!
I've had a car mechanic for many years who is very honest, but he's not inexpensive. I believe in paying an honest, good "technician" who knows their business -- and HONEST is the key word! There are too many dishonest people/companies who like to take advantage of unwary and uneducated consumers! Murphy's Law and all that . . . What's the saying . . . buyer beware, eh!
Sky
===============================Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ===============================
On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 7:29:49 PM UTC-4, Sky wrote:

Ask friends and neighbors. What you're doing here is simple, even a competent handyman could do it, but local regs may require it be a plumber. I did my own. You may need to pull a permit, I'd ask the plumbers about that, so you don't find an extra surprise charge later. If you get it all in writing, it's one of the simplest things, shouldn't be too much that can go wrong. Sometimes the gas utility also sells appliances too.
On 6/4/2016 6:35 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Indeed, I am asking people and folks I know who've had to use plumbers. That's why I also ask here ;) AHR and RFC have a plethora of good folks who can share their experiences similar to mine.
Yes, a permit and subsequent inspection is required -- I checked <G>. Even if "I" were to do this job own my own with a knowledgeable relative, a permit/inspection is still required. However, I want to save my sanity - vbg - so I'll most likely forego my relative's help, spend the extra money and use the services of a "professional" plumber.
I also checked with the utility company - alas, no recompense there re: rebates, etc.
Heh, I received one "estimate" so far with one local HVAC/plumbing company - and it was most unsatisfactory since I specifically requested line-item details! Only a bottom line cost ($1250 -- vocally stated that $800 was for heater & $450 for labor!) was provided! To say the least, I won't use their service!
Sky
===============================Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ===============================
On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 8:29:21 PM UTC-4, Sky wrote:

check home depot, lowes and sears if they are still in your area.........
On 6/4/2016 8:53 PM, bob haller wrote:

Looking at Lowes, a heater is in the $400 to $550 range. They can also arrange installation. It won't be the cheapest, but you won't have to deal with shysters either. Worth considering if you don't know a plumber.
On 6/4/2016 7:29 PM, Sky wrote:

I know of two ways. One is referral from your friends.
Second is to call several plumbers. See who talks simply on the phone, and makes sense. Take the list to the Lord in prayer, and be sensetive to the prompting of the Spirit.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

... call several plumbers. Take the list

Perfect example of indirect survival
On 6/7/2016 3:20 PM, Well, that's very hypocritical of you wrote:

Fortunately, you can count on God during crunch time. Well, most of the time. Unless you are being killed by unruly mob yelling "Crucify him!". And then you're in trouble.
Yes, indirect plumbing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young