OT: Replacement water heater for home (NSOT??)

It was just Stormin being Stormin with humor. Somebody made the clain about increasing the electric service because they didn't read you had gas.

Reply to
trader_4

Thankfully, where the water heater is located - there are no "enclosures." Its location is open on three sides and abuts only on a single wall.

How the heck do I find a reliable and HONEST plumber who provides good service!? I'm trying to do my "homework" and ask all the folks I know personally - and also online (usenet, whatnot) - etc.!

I've had a car mechanic for many years who is very honest, but he's not inexpensive. I believe in paying an honest, good "technician" who knows their business -- and HONEST is the key word! There are too many dishonest people/companies who like to take advantage of unwary and uneducated consumers! Murphy's Law and all that . . . What's the saying . . . buyer beware, eh!

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Ask friends and neighbors. What you're doing here is simple, even a competent handyman could do it, but local regs may require it be a plumber. I did my own. You may need to pull a permit, I'd ask the plumbers about that, so you don't find an extra surprise charge later. If you get it all in writing, it's one of the simplest things, shouldn't be too much that can go wrong. Sometimes the gas utility also sells appliances too.

Reply to
trader_4

Right. Unless it leaked, and that being the reason for replacement, I'd have hot water for at least a couple of days if I conserved.

Reply to
Cheryl

ny hot water in a power failure.

the standard old tanks tend to be long lived dependable and require routine service

Reply to
bob haller

tankless generally require a 120 volt outlet, many usea forced power vent, basically a blower.

th

Reply to
bob haller

Whew ;> and big grin! Although, from what I've read, a power shut-off might be required :/ (?) I'm still working on my 'homework/research' and learning about water heater replacement . . . .

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

That they do, as evidenced by my ancient, 30-plus year-old hot water heater since it lasted so long before it recently failed. As already mentioned, I've anticipated its incipient failure, so it's no surprise. However, I am caught rather unawares - oh well ;> Such is Life, eh!

I am a firm believer that forearmed with knowledge is a good thing! I'd rather not be taken advantage because some 'sales' person believes I'm an easy mark due to gender!

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Indeed, I am asking people and folks I know who've had to use plumbers. That's why I also ask here ;) AHR and RFC have a plethora of good folks who can share their experiences similar to mine.

Yes, a permit and subsequent inspection is required -- I checked . Even if "I" were to do this job own my own with a knowledgeable relative, a permit/inspection is still required. However, I want to save my sanity - vbg - so I'll most likely forego my relative's help, spend the extra money and use the services of a "professional" plumber.

I also checked with the utility company - alas, no recompense there re: rebates, etc.

Heh, I received one "estimate" so far with one local HVAC/plumbing company - and it was most unsatisfactory since I specifically requested line-item details! Only a bottom line cost ($1250 -- vocally stated that $800 was for heater & $450 for labor!) was provided! To say the least, I won't use their service!

Sky

================================ Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer! Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice! ================================

Reply to
Sky

Another topic we've discussed to death about differences between the US and the UK.

Reply to
Cheryl

check home depot, lowes and sears if they are still in your area.........

Reply to
bob haller

Hev DID specify it was a natural gas water heater - so I'm VERY doubtfull there will be any effect on his electrical service - - - -

Reply to
clare

The more expensive longer warranted units USUALLY have additional features like a turbulator tube, bras instead of plastic sediment drain, and 2 instead of 1 anodes. - just for starters. That's the difference between 3, 6, and 9 year tanks up here anyway. The differencwe between a 9, 10, or 12 year warranty and "as long as you own the house" would LIKELY be just the insurance.. And they are betting you won't still own the house 15 years from now. THAT warranty is not transferrable - while a 9, 10, or 12 year quite possibly is.

Reply to
clare

Doesn't work too well with forced air heat

Reply to
clare

The tankless MAY require upgrading his gas supply. Thery use about

10 times as much gas flow.
Reply to
clare

Which is why my last replacement was based on the age of the old one. It was close to 20 years old, not up to current code and not energy efficient. So I built replacement into the budget before I had a flood to have to deal with.

Reply to
Cheryl

His were power vent, in all likelihood - and no standing pilot.

Reply to
clare

Yup - not a case of if, but when. They are expensive to buy, to install, and to service. They require a LOT more fas supply capacity if gas, or a much higher current breaker if electrical - often requiring the upgrading of either the electrical service or gas serviced - at SIGNIFICANT cost to you.

Reply to
clare

Would not pass inspection here in Waterloo Ontario. Not even if it was a GFCI (required within 6 feet of water. Many places would not allow that crappy stainless steel flex gas line either. - and if they did it would HAVE to be yellow-jacket.

Reply to
clare

It's just Stormey's "blame it all on Obama" mentality.

Reply to
clare